It was just a matter of time.

Smellin Coffee

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Remember how Republicans worked to allow churches to politicize and pastors were excited to be able to endorse candidates from the pulpit? Well, it is now time for churches to (literally) begin paying the piper for such "freedom of religion/speech".

Republicans have quietly imposed a new tax on churches, synagogues and other nonprofits, a little-noticed and surprising change that could cost some groups tens of thousands of dollars. Their recent tax-code rewrite requires churches, hospitals, colleges, orchestras and other historically tax-exempt organizations to begin paying a 21 percent tax on some types of fringe benefits they provide their employees.

<snip>

Though many organizations are still unaware of the tax, more than 600 churches and other groups have already signed a petition demanding it be repealed.

?There?s going to be huge headaches,? said Galen Carey, vice president of government relations at the National Association of Evangelicals, an umbrella group of evangelical Christian organizations. ?The cost of compliance, especially for churches that have small staffs or maybe volunteer accountants and bookkeepers ? we don?t need this kind of hassle.?

The Jewish Federations of North America is looking at a new $75,000 tax bill this year because of the change.
?A lot of people are just finding out about it and the more people find out about it, the more pressure there will be on Treasury and Congress to either delay implementation or consider changing this,? said Steven Woolf, senior tax policy counsel for the group.

Republican tax law hits churches: Some nonprofits could start paying taxes for the first time.

Smellin Coffee said:
Remember how Republicans worked to allow churches to politicize and pastors were excited to be able to endorse candidates from the pulpit? Well, it is now time for churches to (literally) begin paying the piper for such "freedom of religion/speech".

Republicans have quietly imposed a new tax on churches, synagogues and other nonprofits, a little-noticed and surprising change that could cost some groups tens of thousands of dollars. Their recent tax-code rewrite requires churches, hospitals, colleges, orchestras and other historically tax-exempt organizations to begin paying a 21 percent tax on some types of fringe benefits they provide their employees.

<snip>

Though many organizations are still unaware of the tax, more than 600 churches and other groups have already signed a petition demanding it be repealed.

?There?s going to be huge headaches,? said Galen Carey, vice president of government relations at the National Association of Evangelicals, an umbrella group of evangelical Christian organizations. ?The cost of compliance, especially for churches that have small staffs or maybe volunteer accountants and bookkeepers ? we don?t need this kind of hassle.?

The Jewish Federations of North America is looking at a new $75,000 tax bill this year because of the change.
?A lot of people are just finding out about it and the more people find out about it, the more pressure there will be on Treasury and Congress to either delay implementation or consider changing this,? said Steven Woolf, senior tax policy counsel for the group.

Republican tax law hits churches: Some nonprofits could start paying taxes for the first time.

While I disagree with taxes in general, this is a stretch at best.

"Churches" aren't being taxed, but employees (who have always paid taxes) with pay more.

Twisted said:
Smellin Coffee said:

<snip>

While I disagree with taxes in general, this is a stretch at best.

"Churches" aren't being taxed, but employees (who have always paid taxes) with pay more.

^this^

I "work" for a non-profit and my income is taxed. If the government decides that there are benefits to working here that should be taxed it will be mine to pay not the non-profit. My employer is tax exempt, I am not.

BTW I don't know of any pastors demanding the right to endorse candidates.  Those that want to, do.

Most pastors I know scrupulously avoid two things in their role; direct involvement with church funds and telling parishioners who to vote for.

I will pay any tax asked of me, but I will never allow the government (or anyone else) to limit what I can say from the pulpit.  I might not get political for other reasons, but never because of "hush money."

cpizzle said:
I will pay any tax asked of me, but I will never allow the government (or anyone else) to limit what I can say from the pulpit.  I might not get political for other reasons, but never because of "hush money."
Boom!

Smellin Coffee said:

<snip>

You are either dumb or dishonest in making it appear that churches/non profits are being taxed.
Benefits of 'employees' may be subject to tax...and church/non profit 'employees' have always been subject to tax...state, federal and SSI.
The benefits include free parking, gym memberships and free subway or bus rides.

Hardly a case of churches being taxed, Elmer.
And odds are this will not even stand, long term.

Other than that blatant false representation, your integrity is intact.  ;)