It's Not Just the IFB

Saved by Grace said:
You will find them but they are not in the majority and are often criticized by their IFB brethren.

side note i had no idea Paul Chappel has his own cover up :/ . Not much different that Vineyard or Hyles after all

If you have found one, please post the link. I really think you are thinking of a non-Fundamentalist conservative. I can't find any,

Binaca Chugger said:
AnkleBone said:
Binaca Chugger said:
AnkleBone said:
The IFB has been claiming it is changing for the last 20 years. Show me where it has instituted accountability of its elders.

Yes, Sarah Smith, who doesn't recognize the wolves in sheep's clothing is swayed by Shelton Smith and Paul CHappell, not knowing that they have actively covered up abuse cases.

Just show my where they have changed in approaching child safety, issues of abuse, and accountability of pastors. Just show me one sermons where any IFB pastor has preached on expelling an elder who has fallen into sin or on defending a child or wife from an abusive man. One sermon. That's all I ask. You won't find one.

Check even the threads in this forum to find such links.  Your head is in the sand.

There is not one single sermon presented in this this forum or on this site on expelling an elder who has fallen into sin or on defending a child or wife from an abusive man.

You acknowledge that some folks are speaking out against this sin, but then proclaim that it is not enough and then proclaim no one is speaking out.  Check the Giovanelli threads.  Links to youtubes bringing light to this sin.  The IFB is changing.  Society is changing.  We as a culture are learning how to better help the victims of these sins.

This is not the IFB changing. Change is marked by a drop in abuse cases. Or an increase (or even an appearance, for the disobedient IFB) of churches properly handling sexually abusive pastors by identifying them, consoling the victims, and rebuking and expelling the perverts from pulpits. That still has never happened. Right now the number of abuse cases are still rising. Yes, even after Jack Hyles.

AnkleBone said:
Right now the number of abuse cases are still rising.
How do you know? What do you have, other than your opinion, to substantiate your claims that abuse cases among the IFB are rising? Most of the cases are decades old. That would seem to indicate that there were more then than there are now.

Let me be clear, I am against all forms of sexual abuse. I would never condone one single incident. But I do think one needs to back up one?s claims.

"I would add that all church communities are at risk of condemning the victims for the sake of maintaining the community, and the illusion that all is well. In New York, a couple of Greek Orthodox nuns are protesting the reinstatement of a priest to a parish there after he admitted to unspecified ?inappropriate? conduct with women, and a diocesan spiritual court recommended that he not be returned to that parish."

This was published by the American Conservative about this news article.  It seems that they agree that this is a culture problem, not just an IFB problem.

Citadel of Truth said:
Ransom said:
Who said it was "just" the IFB?

This looks like a deflection. Pay no attention to the pervert behind the pulpit!

I don't think it is a deflection as much as it is pointing out that the IFB is being targeted in these reports when the expos? could have been much more broad.
It's been a brutal year for scandals churches have hit the news. Here?s just a few:

Willow Creek, Andy Savage, IMB, Paige Patterson, SBC, Independent Fundamentalist Baptist Churches, and Harvest Bible in Chicago. It's easy to get discouraged with so much abuse.

By the way the same reporter did a huge expose on the Southern Baptist?s earlier this year. She written extensively about Paige Patterson. And Willow Creek. She broke the Andy Savage story. So the thought the ?IFB was targeted? is false.

Perhaps something else is going on?

Many Fundamental Baptist, Southern Baptist, and Conservative Evangelicals have not really been too concerned with bringing the kingdom of God to earth, they have built their own kingdoms on the backs of those they have oppressed. They have burdened people with rules, and then they have told anyone who disagreed with them that they were fighting God.

They equated their own will with God's will; their own wisdom with God's wisdom; and created "churches" that were temples to prop up one leader. Far too many leaders across Christendom have built churches, denominations and ministries to serve one person's ego, greed, or lust.

And in the interim, when people tried to speak up, they were silenced, shamed, and exiled. When depraved leaders used women and children for their own sexual gratification, they were protected and propped up while the broken were sent into exile by their churches.

2018 was the year that oppressors began to be exposed. Maybe instead of crying ?we?re being targeted? 2019 can be year that those the IFB has exiled are reached out to, humble themselves and ask what have we done? And welcome back, with open arms those survivors they tossed away. May our churches change to receive them. May our churches in 2019 be places of truth and love, rather than fear and judgment.

#churchtoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

prettykitty1964 said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Ransom said:

This looks like a deflection. Pay no attention to the pervert behind the pulpit!

I don't think it is a deflection as much as it is pointing out that the IFB is being targeted in these reports when the expos? could have been much more broad.
It's been a brutal year for scandals churches have hit the news. Here?s just a few:

Willow Creek, Andy Savage, IMB, Paige Patterson, SBC, Independent Fundamentalist Baptist Churches, and Harvest Bible in Chicago. It's easy to get discouraged with so much abuse.

By the way the same reporter did a huge expose on the Southern Baptist?s earlier this year. She written extensively about Paige Patterson. And Willow Creek. She broke the Andy Savage story. So the thought the ?IFB was targeted? is false.

Many Fundamental Baptist, Southern Baptist, and Conservative Evangelicals have not really been too concerned with bringing the kingdom of God to earth, they have built their own kingdoms on the backs of those they have oppressed. They have burdened people with rules, and then they have told anyone who disagreed with them that they were fighting God.

They equated their own will with God's will; their own wisdom with God's wisdom; and created "churches" that were temples to prop up one leader. Far too many leaders across Christendom have built churches, denominations and ministries to serve one person's ego, greed, or lust.

And in the interim, when people tried to speak up, they were silenced, shamed, and exiled. When depraved leaders used women and children for their own sexual gratification, they were protected and propped up while the broken were sent into exile by their churches.

2018 was the year that oppressors began to be exposed. Maybe instead of crying ?we?re being targeted? 2019 can be year that those the IFB has exiled are reached out to, humble themselves and ask what have we done? And welcome back, with open arms those survivors they tossed away. May our churches change to receive them. May our churches in 2019 be places of truth and love, rather than fear and judgment.

#churchtoo

WELCOME!

prettykitty1964 said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Ransom said:

#churchtoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GREAT FIRST POST!!!!!

A little perspective:

According to the US Dept of Justice:
- 1.8 million people under the age of 18 have been sexually abused in the US.
- 1 in 6 boys and 1 in 4 girls are sexually abused before they are 18.
- 90% of abusers are personally close to the victim.

The article in the Star-Telegram discovered just over 200 victims over the past 40 years. 

If we average out the data...
- In all IFB churches nationwide, 5 people have been victimized each year for the past 40 years.
- In America, roughly 100,000 people are victimized each year.

If our information from the Dept of Justice and the investigative reporter is correct... 0.005% of abuse cases take place in an IFB church.  Remember that 90% of abuse cases are committed by someone close to the victim and 6 out of 7 events take place on a weekend.  Every instance is despicable, deplorable and should be condemned.  But I don't see the IFB churches as a mental compound that promotes, encourages and grows a culture of abuse.

So you're saying that 412 victims is an acceptable number of abuse victims and the IFB should not do anything to create a system of safety for children?

AnkleBone said:
.... and the IFB should not do anything to create a system of safety for children?

This is on the agenda for the next National IFB Council meeting.

Binaca Chugger said:
But I don't see the IFB churches as a mental compound that promotes, encourages and grows a culture of abuse.

How about when the churches cover up the abuse or move the offender to a different church or the mission field instead of calling the cops on them?

Ransom said:
Binaca Chugger said:
But I don't see the IFB churches as a mental compound that promotes, encourages and grows a culture of abuse.

How about when the churches cover up the abuse or move the offender to a different church or the mission field instead of calling the cops on them?

How about it?  It's wrong.

Compared to Rome, the IFB are rank amateurs.

Only because the IFB hasn't been around as long.
And coming out the winner in a competition of "who's worse" with the RCC is hardly a good win. Like bragging that you don't gorge on as much p@@p as a dung beetle does.

AnkleBone said:

I believe the baptist came over here before the Romanist did. The vast majority of Romanist came over during the industrial revolution.

Bob H said:
AnkleBone said:

I believe the baptist came over here before the Romanist did. The vast majority of Romanist came over during the industrial revolution.
Please stop raining on her parade....

But the Baptists who came over here were not independent. They were also Calvinist. Nothing like the IFB.

AnkleBone said:
But the Baptists who came over here were not independent. They were also Calvinist. Nothing like the IFB.

"Independent" and "Calvinist" aren't mutually exclusive categories. One is an affiliation and the other is a theology.

You are correct. It isn't just IFB. Besides secular institutions, it is rampant in the Evangelical church as well.

A violent god (via violent theology) begets violent followers and radicalism. It's no wonder abuse is a core staple in not just IFB, but within those circles which adhere to violent theology (Catholicism, IFB, Evangelicalism included).

Deeming itself a haven of protection and salvation, it is an insidious source for the inflicting of perverions, abuse and death to "the others".