Jack Hyles on Pop Culture

TonyHutsonComedian

Elect
Reaction score
I believe I can see why Jack Hyles was so "out of touch" with pop culture/movies/music etc....  Hyles and some Fundamentalists (Larry Brown) couldn't believe there was a singer named Meat Loaf. Hyles said "His mother must have been stupid to name him that".

I always loved Hyles' dry sense of humor and his Don Rickles approach to anyone he didn't like. Hyles spent years and years clamoring on how the Beatles ruined the America etc.

Jack Hyles often said that rock did not qualify as a musical genre because it had not withstood the test of time. When I heard him say that, Rock was probably less than a decade old.  Using "Rock Around the Clock" as a baseline, rock music is 60 years old now. I wonder if that would qualify as standing the test of time.

TonyHutsonComedian said:
I believe I can see why Jack Hyles was so "out of touch" with pop culture/movies/music etc....  Hyles and some Fundamentalists (Larry Brown) couldn't believe there was a singer named Meat Loaf. Hyles said "His mother must have been stupid to name him that".

I always loved Hyles' dry sense of humor and his Don Rickles approach to anyone he didn't like. Hyles spent years and years clamoring on how the Beatles ruined the America etc.

I love Meatloaf.

Teri in NC said:
TonyHutsonComedian said:

I love Meatloaf.

meat-loaf-marvin-aday-200jk022808.jpg

Smellin Coffee said:
Teri in NC said:
TonyHutsonComedian said:

I love Meatloaf.

meat-loaf-marvin-aday-200jk022808.jpg

Oh.  He knows.

Now if only Brother Hutson could grow his hair out and dye it black, he'd look just like Meat Loaf and we all know Brother Tony loves to eat meatloaf and anything else! HAY-MAN!

But back to the original topic, Hyles was way out of touch with pop culture. I even remember someone saying that at Youth Conference in the late 90's Hyles demanded the kids to not listen to the Beatles or watch Johnny Carson and everyone looked at each other like ?????

Teri in NC said:
TonyHutsonComedian said:
But back to the original topic,

hahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha

Just give this guy a free Chick-Fil-A and we're good to go............HAY-MAN!

hutsontony7.jpg

At least Brother Tony was more in touch with pop culture and what was popular in music/movies etc. Hyles and pop culture are two things that don't mix well.

The faithful preacher, teacher and pastor (not necessarily the same thing) must be able to faithfully exegete Scripture, people, and the culture in which they live.

TonyHutsonComedian said:

I love Meat Loaf. My wife fixes a really mean meatloaf. Has a special sauce w/ mustard and a little vinegar that gives that it a tangy zip. And I've taken special offence in the past to Jack Hyles making fun of my wife's Meat Loaf. ;D

Stepping off my soap box now. I feel much better getting that off my chest.

TonyHutsonComedian said:

Who's Jack Hyles? I've never heard of him.

I've heard of the others but not Jack Hyles. Can you fill me in? Thanks!

IFB X-Files said:
TonyHutsonComedian said:

I believe that TH needs to hit the 'ol fashioned sawdust diet trail.

Apparently there is a guy who used to be a preacher boy at Jim/Tom Vineyards school but left to become a bodybuilder. Maybe he can get Tony back in shape.

TonyHutsonComedian said:
IFB X-Files said:
TonyHutsonComedian said:

Apparently there is a guy who used to be a preacher boy at Jim/Tom Vineyards school but left to become a bodybuilder. Maybe he can get Tony back in shape.

Tony can still out lift me or likely anyoneone else on this forum.

It would do him good to drop 40 lbs, but he is still strong as an ox. All that work he does on his farm I guess.

sword said:
TonyHutsonComedian said:
IFB X-Files said:
TonyHutsonComedian said:

Tony can still out lift me or likely anyoneone else on this forum.

It would do him good to drop 40 lbs, but he is still strong as an ox. All that work he does on his farm I guess.

And you know this how?

no value said:
TonyHutsonComedian said:

I love Meat Loaf. My wife fixes a really mean meatloaf. Has a special sauce w/ mustard and a little vinegar that gives that it a tangy zip. And I've taken special offence in the past to Jack Hyles making fun of my wife's Meat Loaf. ;D

Stepping off my soap box now. I feel much better getting that off my chest.

That sounds good.

My mom used oatmeal in her meatloaf.  She is in Heaven now. :(

I would do anything for a taste of it now.