Jack Hyles

groupie said:
Please be patient with my post.

I actually had / still have a great love for Jack Hyles. He was always there for me and was a friend. He called me often, met with me and I always found him to be humble. I loved his tough preaching and viewed him as a manly man, a fighter, and yes a hero. But he was a friend and a father figure to me too, that was loving and caring. I could not tell you much about my real dad - he was there, but not there. Never really talked to me and I can't remember "I love you coming off his lips". I am sure he did, but he did not know how to express his love. Sadly, I am just learning how to love others and it is a wonderful journey!

Truthfully, it was not for a man that Jack Hyles influenced that came across the country to go to HAC , I almost think I would never have gotten saved. The man was a coworker of mine that won me to him with love, before he ever won me to the Lord. I could be wrong, but I verbally tortured the guy every day at work and his love and patience for me eventually won me over. I actually began to cry at the end of the last sentence and had to pause my posting this. I had to thank my God for that man being so loving when I was so mean to him. I would not have the same grace with myself actually.

Many people say I have a sixth sense about people to a tee. When Jack Schaap was voted in I did not vote for him. When people found out, they called me disloyal and asked me why. I told them he would be the ruin of the FBC in 10 years or so. They came unglued and turned on me. Those folks, many that I often see these days, never said they were sorry and I was right. That's OK.

I still love Jack Hyles. I never saw anything that was awry about him. He was there for me every time. Sue me, hate me, and call me a man worshiper. Yes, I worshiped the man and I soon realized I was wrong about that and it was a sin. The fact is, I never knew I worshiped him until he died. I thought I was being loyal to my pastor. But thankfully his death was the birth of my great love and worship for my great God. It shook me and made me run to Him. Thank God Jack Schaap threw our friendship down the toilet and did what he did when I fell. It further caused me to cling to a God that never turns on me and is always there for me even when I fail him.

Thank you for your post.  It seems you have thrown out the bathwater without throwing out the baby. :)

I go to a contemporary leaning Baptist church. I am thankful I got saved and I may not have if Jack Hyles had not come to Hammond and eventually started HAC.

groupie said:

I actually had / still have a great love for Jack Hyles. He was always there for me and was a friend. He called me often, met with me and I always found him to be humble. I loved his tough preaching and viewed him as a manly man, a fighter, and yes a hero. But he was a friend and a father figure to me too, that was loving and caring. I could not tell you much about my real dad - he was there, but not there. Never really talked to me and I can't remember "I love you coming off his lips". I am sure he did, but he did not know how to express his love. Sadly, I am just learning how to love others and it is a wonderful journey!

Truthfully, it was not for a man that Jack Hyles influenced that came across the country to go to HAC , I almost think I would never have gotten saved. The man was a coworker of mine that won me to him with love, before he ever won me to the Lord. I could be wrong, but I verbally tortured the guy every day at work and his love and patience for me eventually won me over. I actually began to cry at the end of the last sentence and had to pause my posting this. I had to thank my God for that man being so loving when I was so mean to him. I would not have the same grace with myself actually.

Many people say I have a sixth sense about people to a tee. When Jack Schaap was voted in I did not vote for him. When people found out, they called me disloyal and asked me why. I told them he would be the ruin of the FBC in 10 years or so. They came unglued and turned on me. Those folks, many that I often see these days, never said they were sorry and I was right. That's OK.

I still love Jack Hyles. I never saw anything that was awry about him. He was there for me every time. Sue me, hate me, and call me a man worshiper. Yes, I worshiped the man and I soon realized I was wrong about that and it was a sin. The fact is, I never knew I worshiped him until he died. I thought I was being loyal to my pastor. But thankfully his death was the birth of my great love and worship for my great God. It shook me and made me run to Him. Thank God Jack Schaap threw our friendship down the toilet and did what he did when I fell. It further caused me to cling to a God that never turns on me and is always there for me even when I fail him.

RAIDER said:
You may not agree, but Jack Hyles was the "leader" of the IFB movement for many years. 

As far as influencing the IFB across America? I was in utter shock, in my travels around America and the world, to meet hoards and hoards of solid, IFB people that never even heard of him

Thank you a hundred times over.  I have been trying to tell these HACers this since I have been on here.  And Raider does not believe me.  :D  Hackers!!!!!!!!!!

groupie said:

RAIDER said:
You may not agree, but Jack Hyles was the "leader" of the IFB movement for many years. 

As far as influencing the IFB across America? I was in utter shock, in my travels around America and the world, to meet hoards and hoards of solid, IFB people that never even heard of him

You may not agree but KG has told a lot of ppl that his wife was a virgin when they got married. 

A gentleman does not discuss such private matters concerning his wife. Especially an elder.

Such statements lead to wicked thoughts and doubts about the mans veracity, even his wisdom.

Not pastor material. IMHO.

He could be a safari guide though.

Great white hunter, ugh.

Bruh said:
groupie said:

RAIDER said:

Thank you a hundred times over.  I have been trying to tell these HACers this since I have been on here.  And Raider does not believe me.  :D  Hackers!!!!!!!!!!

I would not have believed you 20 years ago but I sure believe you today. I attend a church in the local area and there are people here who have never heard of him or barely heard of him. The pastor was raised in independent baptist churches in Iowa and never heard of him until he came to NW Indiana. And he still never heard him preach or anything. He has just heard about him. 

RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:
Spot on Tim; And I like many others were led to believe that the very fate of America balanced on what happened every week at fbch. 

BALAAM, I hear what you are saying and I'm not totally disagreeing with you.  For many years there have been "leaders" in the Baptist movement.  These leaders were looked up to by others.  These "leaders" motivated others.  Jack Hyles was not the first.  I think of J Frank Norris, Lee Roberson, John R. Rice, Lester Roloff, etc.  Each one of them had their critics, but each one of them were "heroes" to others.  They all had their unique quirks and personalities that made some love and others hate.

You may not agree, but Jack Hyles was the "leader" of the IFB movement for many years.  He motivated preachers all over this country.  In my opinion, he had a very humble side.  Because he liked to use personal illustrations, he was perceived by some as proud.  The truth is probably somewhere between the two.

IFB all over America read his books and received his sermon tapes.  Pastor's School was the highlight of an IFB preacher's year.  Their battery was recharged.  As someone mentioned, Jack Hyles was a motivator.

I say all this to drive home a point.  We look back and remember that Jack Hyles felt that FBCH was being watched by the world.  This was a bit of a stretch in my opinion.  On the other hand, FBCH was being watched by IFB around the world. 

It is just my take on things, but Dr. Hyles felt that there were many HAC grads and Pastor School delegates around the country that looked to FBCH as an encouragement to them.  FBCH motivated them.  Yes, FBCH was being watched and her direction did make a difference to others.

We can say that any pastor who looked to FBCH as a motivation tool was wrong.  I don't agree.  I think it is crazy for a preacher to make decisions at his church just because it's what they do at FBCH, but to get ideas and use it as a motivational tool, go for it!

Just my opinion! 

I used to think that Jack Hyles was being watched by the IFB world, but then I found a co-worker who was a Christian and went to an IFB church and had never heard of Jack Hyles.  So, while he may have claimed that he held the steering wheel of fundamentalism, it was never all of IFB that followed him.

Like many others on here, I went to a church that was pastored by an HAC graduate and pretty much thought that Jack Hyles could do no wrong; the leadership adopted Hyles' methods and ways and really never sought to see if it was Biblical.  It was all about tithing and going soul-winning... growing in Christ was optional.  A lot of carnality came to surface there.

Walt said:
RAIDER said:
BALAAM said:
Spot on Tim; And I like many others were led to believe that the very fate of America balanced on what happened every week at fbch. 

BALAAM, I hear what you are saying and I'm not totally disagreeing with you.  For many years there have been "leaders" in the Baptist movement.  These leaders were looked up to by others.  These "leaders" motivated others.  Jack Hyles was not the first.  I think of J Frank Norris, Lee Roberson, John R. Rice, Lester Roloff, etc.  Each one of them had their critics, but each one of them were "heroes" to others.  They all had their unique quirks and personalities that made some love and others hate.

You may not agree, but Jack Hyles was the "leader" of the IFB movement for many years.  He motivated preachers all over this country.  In my opinion, he had a very humble side.  Because he liked to use personal illustrations, he was perceived by some as proud.  The truth is probably somewhere between the two.

IFB all over America read his books and received his sermon tapes.  Pastor's School was the highlight of an IFB preacher's year.  Their battery was recharged.  As someone mentioned, Jack Hyles was a motivator.

I say all this to drive home a point.  We look back and remember that Jack Hyles felt that FBCH was being watched by the world.  This was a bit of a stretch in my opinion.  On the other hand, FBCH was being watched by IFB around the world. 

It is just my take on things, but Dr. Hyles felt that there were many HAC grads and Pastor School delegates around the country that looked to FBCH as an encouragement to them.  FBCH motivated them.  Yes, FBCH was being watched and her direction did make a difference to others.

We can say that any pastor who looked to FBCH as a motivation tool was wrong.  I don't agree.  I think it is crazy for a preacher to make decisions at his church just because it's what they do at FBCH, but to get ideas and use it as a motivational tool, go for it!

Just my opinion! 

I used to think that Jack Hyles was being watched by the IFB world, but then I found a co-worker who was a Christian and went to an IFB church and had never heard of Jack Hyles.  So, while he may have claimed that he held the steering wheel of fundamentalism, it was never all of IFB that followed him.

Like many others on here, I went to a church that was pastored by an HAC graduate and pretty much thought that Jack Hyles could do no wrong; the leadership adopted Hyles' methods and ways and really never sought to see if it was Biblical.  It was all about tithing and going soul-winning... growing in Christ was optional.  A lot of carnality came to surface there.

In most religions and denominations there are different "stripes" that call themselves by the same name.  The same is true in the IFB movement. 

When I pick up my local phonebook there is a Baptist church in town that is listed under IFB.  This church doesn't go soul winning, has loose dress standards, doesn't run busses, sings praise and worship songs, and is not KJVO.  I'm not condemming them, but rather saying this to make my point.  It would not surprise me if they have never heard of Jack Hyles or FBCH.

When we speak of Dr. Hyles' influence on the IFB movement, we are speaking of his influence on IFB churches of the same "stripe" as FBCH.  This can not be disputed.  If there was an IFB pastor in America from this category that had not heard of Jack Hyles and FBCH, they had their head in the sand. 

Again, I think the level of "influence" that was portrayed was overblown.  On the other hand, the level of influence within the IFB movement mentioned above was huge.

IFB/HAC is know because of the traveling Hyles did, and the many graduates that now pastor churches. There are many good IFB churches out there that  althought they might not have the rules IFB/HAC has-they are still reaching others for Christ without the influence of Hyles. Personally I think Hyles was a legend in his own eyes.

Many of the "big" name teachers and staff at HAC think they are special because the world is looking to them...Again in their own eyes. Ken Schaap will find out he is a little nobody in Cincinnati. Which might be a good thing for him! He will have to prove himself and ultimately trust the Lord! Not his family name.

I attend a fairly large IFB church, there are a few HAC graduates that attend (myself and husband included), and the pastor and his wife are graduates. Rarely does the name Hyles come up. If it did most of the congregation would not know him. It is refreshing!!

groupie said:

RAIDER said:

Groupie - I agree with you 100%.  I also loved Bro. Hyles.  I know I've mentioned it over and over, but I grew up under his ministry. I also did not vote for JS and said the same thing.  I gave him 10 years and either he would leave and go back to Michigan where his parents wanted him, or would go and do something with our church.  Well, my vision of JS came true.  He has nearly bankrupted the church and look where he is now.  I knew JS personally and honestly didn't like him and didn't trust him.  He was a big showman, had to have everything his way, had the girl, the big bus route, brought in the gangs on the buses and we kept our kids, especially our daughters close.  We complained about the thugs but JS got his way.  Hammond PD was called out more times than I can count because of gang fights.  Now he's spending his days and nights with them.  When he was in Cook County jail, he mentioned now his buddies are protecting him.  I don't think FBC will ever have the reputation it once had because of JS.  He has ruined the name of FBC and christianity all together.  HAC though still a good school for ministry students also carries the JS reputation. 

Still There js came to south Florida to speak at our youth rally. He stayed at our home and there was something I didn't like about him. I remember we had a conversation about dh and he lied to our faces I told my husband then some 30 years ago I didn't like a man who would lie..............