Jack Schapp books

sword

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you had Jack Schapp books in your collection & if you are keeping them.

I see several options:

1. Trash them
2. Sell them (not sure the market on e-bay)
3. Give them away if you can find someone who would like them
4. Keep them

sword said:
Just wondering if any of you had Jack Schapp books in your collection & if you are keeping them.

I see several options:

1. Trash them
2. Sell them (not sure the market on e-bay)
3. Give them away if you can find someone who would like them
4. Keep them

I threw all of them in the circular file.

I have most of his earlier books, at least up until the last five years or so. I've kept them, and I do refer to them occasionally. His later books I think were seriously flawed while his earlier ones were only middling flawed. =)

...one of the sad things that comes out of a situation like this that is so appalling and hurtful to us is that we do not want to remember the good things the man did and taught. While that is certainly understandable on an emotional level I do not think it is balanced. So I keep his older books.

Tom Brennan said:
I have most of his earlier books, at least up until the last five years or so. I've kept them, and I do refer to them occasionally. His later books I think were seriously flawed while his earlier ones were only middling flawed. =)

...one of the sad things that comes out of a situation like this that is so appalling and hurtful to us is that we do not want to remember the good things the man did and taught. While that is certainly understandable on an emotional level I do not think it is balanced. So I keep his older books.

I agree totally.  I think it is a terrible injustice to forget about the good that a man did because of the bad that we now know.  I have not been a fan of Schaap's for several years.  I wanted the ministry to succeed when he took the pastorate.  My issues started when he started the "goofy" preaching and teaching.  His doctrine began to get stranger and stranger.  On the other hand, he has been a blessing to many people for many years.  He did much good in his complete ministry.

RAIDER said:
Tom Brennan said:

I agree totally.  I think it is a terrible injustice to forget about the good that a man did because of the bad that we now know.  I have not been a fan of Schaap's for several years.  I wanted the ministry to succeed when he took the pastorate.  My issues started when he started the "goofy" preaching and teaching.  His doctrine began to get stranger and stranger.  On the other hand, he has been a blessing to many people for many years.  He did much good in his complete ministry.
The RCC feeds the hungry.  I dont keep their books.

Anishinaabe

prophet said:
RAIDER said:
Tom Brennan said:

Anishinaabe
Ow...

Tom Brennan said:

Well said

Anishinaabe
[/quote]

The RCC has never been in Jack Schaap's league in relation to disseminating actual truth, at least in the last fifteen centuries or so. IOW, I don't think this is a valid comparison at all.

They are pretty much in his league when it comes to violating young people, though...  :(

[quote author=Tom Brennan]They are pretty much in his league when it comes to violating young people, though...[/quote]

The RCC is in league with violating young people like all of IFB'dom is in league with violating young people.  ::)

Am I the only one who doesn't know what RCC stands for?

Roman Catholic Church

Was this one of his early books?
IsGodenoughforyou_zpsf1de003a.jpg

If so & someone wanted to keep it in their library maybe this would be good to plaster over the cover.
skull_cross_bones.gif

Here is my question for you that will keep his books from the early days. At what point is the cut off mark? Is it a specific book or statement? I realize I was a defender of some things back in the day that certainly did not seem at home what they appeared to be around the country. At what point does the philosophy or line of thought begin that eventually led to his downfall?

I myself have not gotten rid of any of his books. That are boxed away at this time, along with Jack Hyle's books. That is originally due to moving from one house to another and they have not been put back out.

I can only speak for myself, but the cut off for me was his book, 'Where We Are Going', or whatever it was. I read the whole thing in basically one setting and threw it into the trash immediately afterward. And it takes a lot for me to throw a book away. I think I had already stopped attending Pastors' School, but I'm sure I bought nothing else of his afterwards. It was all about the same time that a staff member told me privately about his foul mouth, and I washed my hands of him.

There were some of his earlier books that I never bought, such as his book on depression and on temptation. Others of his books I found very helpful in spots, including some of his book on marriage, his book on Proverbs, and especially his book on prayer. I think that was his best book. But even in those books the margins of mine are all scrawled up with 'nonsense' and 'oh brother' in whole sections and chapters.

Perhaps it was as he changed I was changing at the same time, wanting something deeper and with much more substance, with much more adherence to the Word of God and much less personal philosophy. I was also getting really nauseated with the whole FBCH system, and how it was expressed in teaching, magazines, books, etc. But I can filter that, if what I think I'm reading is worth it.

That's just me. Every guy has to answer for himself where that line is in relation to what he reads and why, and I don't think there is any specific right or wrong answer. It is sad to read JS' books after the disaster b/c certain things he says here and there are just heartbreaking, in relation to the wretched decisions he later made, and the price he is paying.

I don't quote him, though. Even I'm not that stupid.  :D

To my knowledge, neither my husband nor I have ever purchased one of his books - either early or later published.

prophet said:
RAIDER said:
Tom Brennan said:

Anishinaabe

My first thought was the Devil...

Tom Brennan said:

Anishinaabe

The RCC has never been in Jack Schaap's league in relation to disseminating actual truth, at least in the last fifteen centuries or so. IOW, I don't think this is a valid comparison at all.

They are pretty much in his league when it comes to violating young people, though...  :(
[/quote]

JS does not preach the gospel neither does the RCC, same boat my friend.