James 5:14-16

Mr. Hall

Elect
Reaction score
To the Fundamentalists and Evangelicals here:  Do your churches put these directives into practice?

"Is anyone among you sick?  Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.  And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up.  And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.  Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working."

$

I had a friend who did the oil thing. I do everything else.

Mr. Hall said:
To the Fundamentalists and Evangelicals here:  Do your churches put these directives into practice?

"Is anyone among you sick?  Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.  And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up.  And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.  Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working."

$
They absolutely should.

I've seen it work, many times.

earnestly contend

"Oil" is a medicinal term as well. In the parable of the Good Samaritan, "oil" was applied to the wounds of the injured traveler (not to mention, wine was given also ;) ).

The anointing of oil could be a euphemism for 'seeing proper medication is given'.

I am not arguing this is the correct viewpoint but it is a possibility. This would go in context with James' admonition to care for the orphans and the widows, making the church responsible for the health and well-being of the sick as well.

This would seem to be the common practice in New Testament Churches, some more than others.

prophet said:
Mr. Hall said:

$
They absolutely should.

earnestly contend

As have I.

Smellin Coffee said:
"Oil" is a medicinal term as well. In the parable of the Good Samaritan, "oil" was applied to the wounds of the injured traveler (not to mention, wine was given also ;) ).

The anointing of oil could be a euphemism for 'seeing proper medication is given'.

I am not arguing this is the correct viewpoint but it is a possibility. This would go in context with James' admonition to care for the orphans and the widows, making the church responsible for the health and well-being of the sick as well.

I think you have a valid point.
I know, that shocks me as well.  :)

We practice anointing with oil, because there are other references to it in Scripture. It is, in one way, symbolic of the healing power of God. But, there is no doubt but that oil was used regularly as a medicine.
We encourage those we anoint and pray for to get the best medical treatment possible. It's not an either, or proposition.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin Coffee said:

I think you have a valid point.
I know, that shocks me as well.  :)

We practice anointing with oil, because there are other references to it in Scripture. It is, in one way, symbolic of the healing power of God. But, there is no doubt but that oil was used regularly as a medicine.
We encourage those we anoint and pray for to get the best medical treatment possible. It's not an either, or proposition.

I'm not at all in opposition of the anointing as you practice. Kings and priests were anointed in similar fashion, no doubt were prayed for. I just think in the context of James could be more along the lines of medicinal.

Mr. Hall said:

Most of the IFB churches I have been in have done so, but they keep it quiet because of the excesses of the Charismatic groups.

Smellin Coffee said:

...and I've heard this argument as well.

My wife was loosing her hair years ago, (she was diagnosed with something I forget the medical term) we went to the pastor and asked if he could anoint her with oil and pray. He did and her hair stopped falling out.

Before he applied the oil he said, we know that there is nothing magical with the oil but scripture says if we do this and pray you will be healed and this is why we do it, and she was. 

Tarheel Baptist said:
prophet said:
Mr. Hall said:

$
They absolutely should.

earnestly contend

As have I.

Most certainly!

subllibrm said:
Yes, why do you ask?

Curiosity.  The Fundamentalist church in which I was raised does not practice anointing with oil or confession of sin to one and other.  Yet they pride themselves on rigorous adherence to Scripture, e.g., the women do not cut their hair (they've loosened up a little on this one over the years), they wear head coverings in church, and are required to remain silent during  services.  So I wondered how similar churches  handled the anointing and confessing directives.

$

Let's just say I get Hansen's disease. I'm going to the doctor.......................not the elders

But that's just me.

Bob H said:
Let's just say I get Hansen's disease. I'm going to the doctor.......................not the elders

But that's just me.

If you get Hansen's disease, I'm not personally anointing you either.
Get someone at the colony to anoint you..... :)