Jeroboam and Rehoboam - An IFB Tale

cpizzle

Elect
Reaction score
We have heard many people bring up Jeroboam and Rehoboam recently.  They make it a tale of the old men and new men.  I see a very different parallel....

In the Biblical narrative, Rehoboam is the son of Solomon and heir to the throne.  During Solomon's reign, he over extended the people in both labor and taxes.  He built up the Kingdom and the people did not mind because of their love for Solomon.  When Rehoboam was crowned, the elders asked him to "go easy" on them and "speak kindly" to them.  If so, they would serve him gladly forever.  As we know, Rehoboam listened to his peers and said that he would be even tougher than his father.  This caused 10 of the 12 tribes to abandon him and follow after Jeroboam, dividing the Kingdom.

Dr. Jack Hyles was a very tough preacher.  He pushed high standards and a total dedication to growing the ministry.  We worked hard, sacrificed our time and money, and adopted many unreasonable standards...because we loved Dr. Hyles.  We knew he was going overboard, but we followed him gladly out of love, respect, and loyalty. 

When Dr. Hyles died, a new generation came on the scene.  Men like Schapp, Gray (Sr and Jr), Neal, Baker, Corel, Smith, Domele and others were crowned the new "Kings."  We asked them to go easy on us.  Speak kindly to us.  Relax the standards and the burden of the ministry.  If they would do this, we would follow them gladly forever.  However, they came back and said they would be even harder than Dr. Hyles.  Standards would increase and our "service quotas" would be going up as well.  Dr. Hyles was KJ only...they went far beyond.  Dr. Hyles had music standards...they increased them. 

As a result, many of the strongest and most dedicated people of the movement left.  They found their own Jeroboams (SBC, New IB's, Non-denominational Mega churches) and made a full split.  The new "kings" of fundamentalism were left scratching their heads as their influence shrank and their numbers plummeted. 

They had an opportunity after the death of Dr. Hyles to make a course correction while still honoring the men of the past.  They could have strengthened the movement.  Instead, the leaders blew it...and all that is left are the pieces.

Interesting thoughts.

cpizzle said:
We have heard many people bring up Jeroboam and Rehoboam recently.  They make it a tale of the old men and new men.  I see a very different parallel....

In the Biblical narrative, Rehoboam is the son of Solomon and heir to the throne.  During Solomon's reign, he over extended the people in both labor and taxes.  He built up the Kingdom and the people did not mind because of their love for Solomon.  When Rehoboam was crowned, the elders asked him to "go easy" on them and "speak kindly" to them.  If so, they would serve him gladly forever.  As we know, Rehoboam listened to his peers and said that he would be even tougher than his father.  This caused 10 of the 12 tribes to abandon him and follow after Jeroboam, dividing the Kingdom.

Dr. Jack Hyles was a very tough preacher.  He pushed high standards and a total dedication to growing the ministry.  We worked hard, sacrificed our time and money, and adopted many unreasonable standards...because we loved Dr. Hyles.  We knew he was going overboard, but we followed him gladly out of love, respect, and loyalty. 

When Dr. Hyles died, a new generation came on the scene.  Men like Schapp, Gray (Sr and Jr), Neal, Baker, Corel, Smith, Domele and others were crowned the new "Kings."  We asked them to go easy on us.  Speak kindly to us.  Relax the standards and the burden of the ministry.  If they would do this, we would follow them gladly forever.  However, they came back and said they would be even harder than Dr. Hyles.  Standards would increase and our "service quotas" would be going up as well.  Dr. Hyles was KJ only...they went far beyond.  Dr. Hyles had music standards...they increased them. 

As a result, many of the strongest and most dedicated people of the movement left.  They found their own Jeroboams (SBC, New IB's, Non-denominational Mega churches) and made a full split.  The new "kings" of fundamentalism were left scratching their heads as their influence shrank and their numbers plummeted. 

They had an opportunity after the death of Dr. Hyles to make a course correction while still honoring the men of the past.  They could have strengthened the movement.  Instead, the leaders blew it...and all that is left are the pieces.

N.A.D.D

I once thought of & on a wild hunch called an old HACker who I had worked with/for & once had been close to, to see how he was doing.

He started slamming large churches near him who were "compromisers to get a big crowd." He told me he "is tougher than ever on preaching standards."

I found out that 2 weeks later his church voted him out & graciously helped him pack up when he moved away. A staff member told how during packing his house up they found liquor & cigarettes.
He left the ministry, his wife, messed up his life & testimony.

Trying to be a "Little-Jackie-boy-h yles rather than humbling chasing after the heart of God doesn't work & leads to burn-out & burning out those who might have followed you.

fishinnut said:
I once thought of & on a wild hunch called an old HACker who I had worked with/for & once had been close to, to see how he was doing.

He started slamming large churches near him who were "compromisers to get a big crowd." He told me he "is tougher than ever on preaching standards."

I found out that 2 weeks later his church voted him out & graciously helped him pack up when he moved away. A staff member told how during packing his house up they found liquor & cigarettes.

Trying to be a "Little-Jackie-boy-h yles rather than humbling chasing after the heart of God doesn't work & leads to burn-out & burning out those who might have followed you.

There is nothing wrong with preaching on Biblical standards.  This is not the reason men fall.  We fall because of the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life. Now, if one starts "hobby-horsing" I see a problem.

fishinnut said:

Hackers almost always blame the women.

The Hacker church we just left blamed women, I think for pretty much everything.

Blamed them for:
The man not in ministry no more
The kids not turn out forGod
Leaving good IFB churches
No standards in the home

You name it and it's there fault.

RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:

There is nothing wrong with preaching on Biblical standards.  This is not the reason men fall.  We fall because of the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life. Now, if one starts "hobby-horsing" I see a problem.
All I asked was, "How are you?"

That's when he attempted to let me know he was doing all he could outwardly to be like "Little-Jackie-boy-h yles" as been drilled into us at HAC. It wasn't the preaching on standards rather the copy-cat preaching/ministry that led to his burn-out.

RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:

Biblical standards.

These are things like show mercy, live humbly, be gracious, care for the afflicted, welcome the sojourner, avoid favoritism, and such.

It's not things like Bible versions, asceticism, new worship music, and political purity.

rsc2a said:
RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:

Biblical standards.

These are things like show mercy, live humbly, be gracious, care for the afflicted, welcome the sojourner, avoid favoritism, and such.

I agree with your list, but there are other standards.