JH sermon "Is There A Hell?"

fishinnut

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
All these years later I remember JH preaching the sermon while I was at HAC/FBCH. I have asked myself this question many times when the thought of witnessing to or not witnessing to someone crosses my mind.

I personally have a hard time with any stripe of preachers or Christian speakers who are afraid to call hell hell. It doesn't matter the setting to me, it could be a funeral, it could be while witnessing, it could be in a typical Sunday church sermon but it seems that today's preachers are many times too afraid or timid to call hell hell. I have heard preachers refer to not getting saved as risking eternal darkness. But that is just one of the parts of hell. Why is it that preachers blush to talk about eternal fire, damnation? I've heard it called eternal separation from God and it is but it is a lot more than separation, it is eternal suffering,  eternal agony, eternal pain, eternal weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth, eternal cries of the lost who can never be found, eternal regret, eternal pain and crying. It is the eternal place where the damned will spend eternity with Devil himself. It is the opposite of everything we know about Heaven.

Hell is not a bad time, hell is not war the war though can be horrible. Hell is a place, it is a prepared place, but only for the devil and his angels never for any soul for whom Jesus died .

I do not know how a believer can marry a lost person and someone whom they have fallen in love with and not warn them of hell.

Jesus talked and preached about heaven but he never shied away from the truth of hell and sounding a warning about hell. Preachers and witnessing believers should never ever be afraid, timid or complacent about this place that every living soul needs to shun and run from and run to the arms of Jesus to escape.

Let us remember there is a hell.

fishinnut said:
All these years later I remember JH preaching the sermon while I was at HAC/FBCH. I have asked myself this question many times when the thought of witnessing to or not witnessing to someone crosses my mind.

I personally have a hard time with any stripe of preachers or Christian speakers who are afraid to call hell hell. It doesn't matter the setting to me, it could be a funeral, it could be while witnessing, it could be in a typical Sunday church sermon but it seems that today's preachers are many times too afraid or timid to call hell hell. I have heard preachers refer to not getting saved as risking eternal darkness. But that is just one of the parts of hell. Why is it that preachers blush to talk about eternal fire, damnation? I've heard it called eternal separation from God and it is but it is a lot more than separation, it is eternal suffering,  eternal agony, eternal pain, eternal weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth, eternal cries of the lost who can never be found, eternal regret, eternal pain and crying. It is the eternal place where the damned will spend eternity with Devil himself. It is the opposite of everything we know about Heaven.

Hell is not a bad time, hell is not war the war though can be horrible. Hell is a place, it is a prepared place, but only for the devil and his angels never for any soul for whom Jesus died .

I do not know how a believer can marry a lost person and someone whom they have fallen in love with and not warn them of hell.

Jesus talked and preached about heaven but he never shied away from the truth of hell and sounding a warning about hell. Preachers and witnessing believers should never ever be afraid, timid or complacent about this place that every living soul needs to shun and run from and run to the arms of Jesus to escape.

That is one of the most memorable sermons that Dr. Hyles has ever preached.

16KJV11 said:
fishinnut said:

That is one of the most memorable sermons that Dr. Hyles has ever preached.

I have a copy of that message that he preached in 1967.  It was translated as he spoke.  Not sure of the location.

I also like the one ?What Will It Take To Stop You?.....he preached it in ?94 or ?95 in chapel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_hE5wY68WY

I still listen to it with some regularity

Binaca Chugger said:
All I remembered was the title/subject. It is online & when listening to it I was taken back with how Jackie-boy threw in his other favorite subjects..............standards, namely pants on women. That's when I turned it off as that is IMHO, not even in the same ballpark with the warning of shunning Hell & warning the lost of it's certainty.

fishinnut said:
Binaca Chugger said:
All I remembered was the title/subject. It is online & when listening to it I was taken back with how Jackie-boy threw in his other favorite subjects..............standards, namely pants on women. That's when I turned it off as that is IMHO, not even in the same ballpark with the warning of shunning Hell & warning the lost of it's certainty.
Yes but at the same time his sermons on the Unisex movement and Satan's Bid for Your Child were DEAD ON in predicting what the future held and the times we live in today.  He had instinct or dare I say divine wisdom and understanding what the world powers were up to and how they would accomplish the task of morally destroying this nation.

You really have to have lived it to understand how life was here in the 60's and 70's or before to know how vastly different things are.  While Mayberry wasn't necessary reality it was close enough to be plausible for this nations tv watchers.

So maybe you disagree with a standard or two.  So what.  The truth from that sermon was spot on.  If there is a hell, does it change how you live your life?