John Piper’s Position that Women Should Not Lead Parachurch Organizations

Bob Jones V

Elect
Reaction score
This is an article and audio that Piper put out last week. Julie Roys published an article about the controversy it has caused and many people have replied calling him a hypocrite and fake, etc, etc, etc.

He said that Julie Roys was not the only one online who put a bad face on that article. I am going to post parts of it.

What do you think?

"The world today is in a free fall of denial that nature teaches us anything about what maleness and femaleness are for. And that denial used to be — back when I was in the early days of fighting these battles — that male and female personhood teaches us nothing about what God intended our roles to be. But now the denial is that our bodies, not just our persons, teach us nothing about what life should be as male or female. You can cut off breasts; you can cut off the penis; you can cut out the uterus; you can replace estrogen with testosterone; you can grow facial hair on a female cheek."

"...the biblical teachings on manhood and womanhood don’t have any bearing on roles outside the home and church is both naïve and culturally compromised."

"We might say today, “Does not nature teach you that for a man to wear a dress and stockings and high heels and lipstick is a disgrace?” Yes, it is. And nature teaches that. It is written on the heart. Millions are suppressing this truth of nature, but it is there. It is inescapable."

"Parachurch Application
With regard to men and women in parachurch organizations, I think Paul would say, “I have taught, Moses has taught, nature teaches that it goes against man’s and woman’s truest, God-given nature to place a woman in a role of regular, direct, personal leadership over men.”

Now if you wonder, “Well, what do you mean, Piper, by ‘regular, direct, personal’?” then since this is a short podcast, I have to refer you to my little booklet What’s the Difference?. You don’t have to buy it. You can download it for free. And on page 58 and following, I define “regular, direct, personal” so that it will, I hope, make sense.

These are days of great shifting in people’s convictions and alignments on this issue of how men and women should relate to each other. So I pray for our brother who sent us this question, and I pray for myself and all of us, that God would guide us into truth and give us the courage to stand for it."

Shot from the hip: Para-church organization: not church; not (necessarily) led by a pastor. Church: led by a pastor.

First of all, one should listen to the podcast. My initial response (before listening) was that Para-Church organizations are not expressly mentioned in the scriptures and the thread title says "Women should not lead Para-Church Organizations" but if you actually listen to the podcast, there is much more going on that must be taken into account!

Now lets get some context: Can a woman lead a major corporation? ABSOLUTELY! Can a woman lead a 501c3 non-profit organization? I believe the answer is again yes.

Can a woman lead a Faith-Based 501c3 (AKA "Para-Church) organization? I think we had better examine what is meant by "Leadership" and what is the overall mission scope of this organization!

Based upon my understanding of what I have heard, it appears that the leadership and the para-church organization in question has overstepped its bounds and is trying to exert ECCLESIASTICAL authority over their staff! The authority they are trying to wield should be exclusive to the specific church to which each of the respective staff members belong!

You are to be spiritually accountable to the Eldership of your Church, NOT to the para-church organization. If you are on paid staff, you are accountable for your work performance and conduct as an employee. I believe it is also appropriate that a prospective staff member be a member in good standing with a solid, biblical Church where they make themselves accountable to the pastoral leadership. I believe that such should be a condition for employment. If such were clearly written and established, there would be no problem with a woman in a leadership role holding a man accountable for compliance. Female leadership should be strictly administrative IMO.

This is perhaps where I should jump back into the FUNDAMENTAL BAPTIST mindset and ask to whom is this para-church organization accountable?

First of all, one should listen to the podcast. My initial response (before listening) was that Para-Church organizations are not expressly mentioned in the scriptures and the thread title says "Women should not lead Para-Church Organizations" but if you actually listen to the podcast, there is much more going on that must be taken into account!

Now lets get some context: Can a woman lead a major corporation? ABSOLUTELY! Can a woman lead a 501c3 non-profit organization? I believe the answer is again yes.

Can a woman lead a Faith-Based 501c3 (AKA "Para-Church) organization? I think we had better examine what is meant by "Leadership" and what is the overall mission scope of this organization!

Based upon my understanding of what I have heard, it appears that the leadership and the para-church organization in question has overstepped its bounds and is trying to exert ECCLESIASTICAL authority over their staff! The authority they are trying to wield should be exclusive to the specific church to which each of the respective staff members belong!

You are to be spiritually accountable to the Eldership of your Church, NOT to the para-church organization. If you are on paid staff, you are accountable for your work performance and conduct as an employee. I believe it is also appropriate that a prospective staff member be a member in good standing with a solid, biblical Church where they make themselves accountable to the pastoral leadership. I believe that such should be a condition for employment. If such were clearly written and established, there would be no problem with a woman in a leadership role holding a man accountable for compliance. Female leadership should be strictly administrative IMO.

This is perhaps where I should jump back into the FUNDAMENTAL BAPTIST mindset and ask to whom is this para-church organization accountable?
I agree. I read the whole thing since I cannot get audio on my current computer (aka Work). And I totally agree that there is much more that he includes as good biblical thinking.

I suppose it depends on whether the ministry functions like a church, in such a way that the leadership role is effectively pastoral. CEO of a Christian charity? Probably not a problem for me. A teaching ministry? More problematic.