Jordan Peterson -- Who is He and Why Does He Have a Following

HereIStand

Elect
Reaction score
I've heard references online to Jordan Peterson, but don't have any first-hand knowledge of him. This article explores the reasons for his appeal. Has anyone read him or listened to his lectures?

With a bestselling book, 850,000 followers on YouTube, and $60,000 a month in direct contributions from fans, Jordan Peterson has every material reason to be happy. But watch one of the lectures or interviews that have made him famous, and you will see a face full of sorrow. He talks about overcoming depression?from long experience of failing to do so. He tells audiences to stand up straight with their shoulders back?then lowers his eyes. He preaches personal uplift?and breaks out in tears. His fans, uncertain young men, love him all the more for it.

HereIStand said:
I've heard references online to Jordan Peterson, but don't have any first-hand knowledge of him. This article explores the reasons for his appeal. Has anyone read him or listened to his lectures?

With a bestselling book, 850,000 followers on YouTube, and $60,000 a month in direct contributions from fans, Jordan Peterson has every material reason to be happy. But watch one of the lectures or interviews that have made him famous, and you will see a face full of sorrow. He talks about overcoming depression?from long experience of failing to do so. He tells audiences to stand up straight with their shoulders back?then lowers his eyes. He preaches personal uplift?and breaks out in tears. His fans, uncertain young men, love him all the more for it.
Currently reading his book and have watched some of his lectures.

Here is a great interview with David Ruben from November 2016, before he really took off and sets the foundation to where he came from https://youtu.be/5n8zn-R10qM and back when Ruben was a Democrat.. And I still think he classifies himself as such, but was much more so. The interview starts at about the 6:30 mark. And is summed up at about the 54 minute mark.

Here is one that kind of goes along with his book https://youtu.be/GJJClhqGq_M

HereIStand said:

Never heard of the guy, but I know who Don Boys is.

Peterson is a psychology professor at the University of Toronto. He came to prominence about two years ago when he posted a series of videos on his YouTube channel - which previously basically contained academic lectures about the psychology of religion - critiquing political correctness, particularly Bill C-16, which added "gender and gender expression"  to the Canadian Human Rights Act as prohibited grounds of discrimination. He became notorious for claiming that he would not use a person's "preferred pronouns" if coerced.

He's also said that on a personal level, he would probably use a person's pronouns if asked. For him the issue is coerced speech, not necessarily transgenderism and gender expression per se.

Peterson is not a conservative, but much of what he says strikes a chord with conservatives, because on such issues as political correctness, postmodernism, Marxism, and identity politics, they're basically in agreement. He believes in freedom of speech and the free exchange of ideas.

He's also not a Christian - more of a secular theist - but he is fascinated with the Bible, and has expressed interest in learning more about Christianity to understand it better. He strikes me as a man "not far from the Kingdom of God," but nonetheless should be read/heard/viewed with a critical ear.

Ransom said:
Peterson is a psychology professor at the University of Toronto. He came to prominence about two years ago when he posted a series of videos on his YouTube channel - which previously basically contained academic lectures about the psychology of religion - critiquing political correctness, particularly Bill C-16, which added "gender and gender expression"  to the Canadian Human Rights Act as prohibited grounds of discrimination. He became notorious for claiming that he would not use a person's "preferred pronouns" if coerced.

He's also said that on a personal level, he would probably use a person's pronouns if asked. For him the issue is coerced speech, not necessarily transgenderism and gender expression per se.

Peterson is not a conservative, but much of what he says strikes a chord with conservatives, because on such issues as political correctness, postmodernism, Marxism, and identity politics, they're basically in agreement. He believes in freedom of speech and the free exchange of ideas.

He's also not a Christian - more of a secular theist - but he is fascinated with the Bible, and has expressed interest in learning more about Christianity to understand it better. He strikes me as a man "not far from the Kingdom of God," but nonetheless should be read/heard/viewed with a critical ear.
His biblical series is very interesting...

Never heard of him. I have heard of Jordan Peele though. ;)

Smellin Coffee said:
Never heard of him. I have heard of Jordan Peele though. ;)
Ah, yes. A man with your racial handicap would have of heard of Peele, Jordan.  :D

Poor Smellin, not realizing the futility of trying to cash his "woke" points here.

Ransom said:
Poor Smellin, not realizing the futility of trying to cash his "woke" points here.

Get out!

images

:D