Just asking for your opinion

Just Ben

Elect
Reaction score
In the parable of the great supper in Luke 14:16-24 the servants were instructed to go into the streets, lanes, highways and hedges to bring the people to the great supper. Is this teaching us that we are to go house to house knocking on doors in our communities to reach people?

The unwanted = Gentiles

Just Ben said:
In the parable of the great supper in Luke 14:16-24 the servants were instructed to go into the streets, lanes, highways and hedges to bring the people to the great supper. Is this teaching us that we are to go house to house knocking on doors in our communities to reach people?

It is teaching us to go wherever they are. One of the places they are is at home. Yes, I believe local church evangelism is a perfectly appropriate application for this parable.

Jesus was explaining that since the Jews had rejected the wonderful blessing of Himself than the church, the religious institution for our dispensation, should invite all and sundry to the feast. This is one of at least a half dozen instances of Him trying to get across to His Apostles that the Church wasn't to be a Jewish organization, but a world wide organization that reached every kind of people. It still took quite a while for the early Church to grasp this, as evidenced by Paul's epistles, for the Jews of Jesus' day were an incredibly racist group of people. In many respects, Jesus was a revolutionary, not a reformer, and one of the mind blowing things (to those around Him) that He introduced was the idea that the Gentiles were to have equal place in the Church, and that, in fact, in the Church there was no such thing as Jew and Gentile. There is just Christian.

...so, yes, go get them, wherever they are, whoever they are, and bring them to the feast.

Tom Brennan said:
Just Ben said:

It is teaching us to go wherever they are. One of the places they are is at home. Yes, I believe local church evangelism is a perfectly appropriate application for this parable.

Jesus was explaining that since the Jews had rejected the wonderful blessing of Himself than the church, the religious institution for our dispensation, should invite all and sundry to the feast. This is one of at least a half dozen instances of Him trying to get across to His Apostles that the Church wasn't to be a Jewish organization, but a world wide organization that reached every kind of people. It still took quite a while for the early Church to grasp this, as evidenced by Paul's epistles, for the Jews of Jesus' day were an incredibly racist group of people. In many respects, Jesus was a revolutionary, not a reformer, and one of the mind blowing things (to those around Him) that He introduced was the idea that the Gentiles were to have equal place in the Church, and that, in fact, in the Church there was no such thing as Jew and Gentile. There is just Christian.

...so, yes, go get them, wherever they are, whoever they are, and bring them to the feast.

This is about what the Master will do (and has already done).  It's not teaching us what we should do.  Yes, we should do what we should do, but that's not the point of this parable. 

You should be able to see that if you simply read the last line.  24 For I say to you that none of those men who were invited shall taste my supper.’”  The Master rejected the ones he originally invited and COMPELLED others to come. 

Indeed, free willies need to rewrite this parable, I think. 

‘Go out quickly into the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in here ask, like a gentleman, if the poor and the maimed and the lame and the blind will accept my invitation.’ 22 And the servant said, ‘Master, it is done as you commanded, and still there is room.’ 23 Then the master said to the servant, ‘Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them ask them nicely to come in, that my house may be filled if they so desire to come.

If you're a 5-points Calvinist there would be no need to tell others about the Lord, because He has already determined whose going to heaven and whose going to hell.

no value said:
If you're a 5-points Calvinist there would be no need to tell others about the Lord, because He has already determined whose going to heaven and whose going to hell.

That's correct.  There's no NEED.  God doesn't NEED us in order to save anyone.  He uses us, but doesn't NEED us. 

However, by not sharing the truth, you are being disobedient.  And if you truly have the Spirit of God, you won't want to be disobedient. 

no value said:

God uses the Gospel to awaken the dead, you know, faith comes by hearing.