KJV Bible Study - Gospel of John

julie33

Elect
Reaction score
John 1:1
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

julie33 said:
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

In the beginning harks back to the book of Genesis -- (In the beginning, God).  Here it is the same, but God is here called The Word.  We know from later that "The Word" is referring to Jesus Christ (and the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us).  But it is equally clear here that The Word was (is) God.  At the very beginning of this gospel, we are told that Jesus Christ was there in the beginning; He was not a created being (as the Mormons teach).  He was with God, and He was God.  "I and my Father are one", Jesus would say, bringing upon Himself the wrath of the Jewish religious leadership.  So, we have Jesus being pre-existent and co-equal with God.

As it is in the beginning of the gospel of John, so it is with any who would learn of Christ: the very first thing to know is that He is God.

julie33 said:

Why does the KJV quote verbatim from the heathen NIV?

Ransom said:
julie33 said:

Why does the KJV quote verbatim from the heathen NIV?

No! That can't be...

[/quote]

In the beginning harks back to the book of Genesis -- (In the beginning, God).  Here it is the same, but God is here called The Word.  We know from later that "The Word" is referring to Jesus Christ (and the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us).  But it is equally clear here that The Word was (is) God.  At the very beginning of this gospel, we are told that Jesus Christ was there in the beginning; He was not a created being (as the Mormons teach).  He was with God, and He was God.  "I and my Father are one", Jesus would say, bringing upon Himself the wrath of the Jewish religious leadership.  So, we have Jesus being pre-existent and co-equal with God.

As it is in the beginning of the gospel of John, so it is with any who would learn of Christ: the very first thing to know is that He is God.
[/quote]

Wow. Thank you. I read that twice and thought about it. It was confusing but now it's more clear it's talking about Jesus and God.
I really am interested in studying and learning. I hope you won't get bored if I have less to add sometimes. I have a traumatic brain injury and can't take sound. So I've only been able to attend sunday school when I can. I can't listen to audio tapes or watch tv. So this is my only way to get to study the Bible and to ask questions and to learn. I can read it slower and at my own pace. Thank you.

[/quote]

Wow. Thank you. I read that twice and thought about it. It was confusing but now it's more clear it's talking about Jesus and God.
I really am interested in studying and learning. I hope you won't get bored if I have less to add sometimes. I have a traumatic brain injury and can't take sound. So I've only been able to attend sunday school when I can. I can't listen to audio tapes or watch tv. So this is my only way to get to study the Bible and to ask questions and to learn. I can read it slower and at my own pace. Thank you.
[/quote]

Thank you for the kind words.  Always willing to share my thoughts about Scripture.

Post the next verse when you wish and are able.

May God bless you!