KJV Debated by professor at Heartland

That's just it. No once can seem to find out exactly what was said other than that he emphasized something greater than the TR and the general Masoretic text and established that they can assuredly be imperfect. They are KJVO, but hold to the more "acceptable" ,if that's even applicable, TR Only position when pressed.

And that is what I was implying by my question. It is impossible to be TROnly as there are at least 31 TRs, all different.

And the KJV does not follow any one TR exclusively. In fact it is impossible to identify the TR the KJV was based on so that Frederick Scrivener reverse engineered a "TR" where he attempts to identify the TR that each KJV variant was based on and even he had to admit there were many words he could not find the origin for.

I agree. It's one of the issues that kicked me back from the IFB and caused a much deeper understanding of church history, translation, and consistent theology. Not to mention a generally happier and joyful demeanor  ;)

Thomas Cassidy said:
And the KJV does not follow any one TR exclusively.

It is true that the makers of the KJV did not follow any one of the printed editions of the Textus Receptus that were available in their day.

One possible explanation or reason for that fact may be that the KJV is actually more a revision of the pre-1611 English Bibles than it was an original, new translation of any one sole printed edition of the Greek New Testament.  The makers of the KJV picked and chose from the varying pre-1611 English Bibles compared to the original language texts in a majority of places and may have only translated directly from the original languages in those places where they considered pre-1611 English renderings to be inaccurate.  Since the pre-1611 English Bibles were based on different editions of the Textus Receptus, the makers of the KJV in effect followed different TR editions in those places where they kept or followed English renderings based on those different TR editions.

What did he say that was such a terrible sin?
That's just it. No once can seem to find out exactly what was said other than that he emphasized something greater than the TR and the general Masoretic text and established that they can assuredly be imperfect. They are KJVO, but hold to the more "acceptable" ,if that's even applicable, TR Only position when pressed.
Mike Blythe actually tells his side of the story on the 26 Letters podcast.
K is for King James Version Pt. 1
K is for King James Version Pt. 2
I was actually at the school when this happened, and the student-to-student story that I heard was basically that he said during a Greek class that there are places where the KJV departs from the original languages, or is not a perfect translation of the TR. I believe the story I heard was that one of the students had recorded him saying this in class, and sent it back to their home pastor which contacted the school about it. The school fired him in order to put out the fire in the KJVO community before the word spread that HBBC was liberal. This stuff is kind of rumory, so it might not be true, but I believe it basically matches up with what Mike says in the episodes above. One thing is for sure, there's no more difficult job in the world than to be a Greek teacher at a KJVO college.

If it's unsubstantiated, then ISN'T it RUMOR? Two or three "witnesses?" Just a question. I wasn't there, so, I don't know.

I was actually at the school when this happened, and the student-to-student story that I heard was basically that he said during a Greek class that there are places where the KJV departs from the original languages, or is not a perfect translation of the TR. I believe the story I heard was that one of the students had recorded him saying this in class, and sent it back to their home pastor which contacted the school about it. The school fired him in order to put out the fire in the KJVO community before the word spread that HBBC was liberal. This stuff is kind of rumory, so it might not be true, but I believe it basically matches up with what Mike says in the episodes above. One thing is for sure, there's no more difficult job in the world than to be a Greek teacher at a KJVO college.
Good n
Heavens to Betsy…you just joined the forum and the first thing you do is dig up a nine year old post to get all worked up about? Welcome.

Heavens to Betsy…you just joined the forum and the first thing you do is dig up a nine year old post to get all worked up about? Welcome.
"IFB gets fired for nothingburger" isn't exactly breaking news, either. Dog bites man, details at 11.

He and his wife, Barbara, manifested genuine love for the students and Heartland Baptist Bible College for the last seven years. They could not have possibly responded to the process of the past few weeks in a more godly manner.

... so we canned them. :unsure:

Good n

Something fishy going on here. Go figure.

Good n

I would say it’s just somebody who went to the school and wants to discuss things with people who graduated with, or have common experiences to them. To your point, they’re probably not going to dredge up any lurking posters to scratch that itch, but I don’t blame somebody for trying to make connections with their peeps.