KJV question about James 2:23

Tim

Elect
Reaction score
James 2:23
And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Why in the KJV translation is friend capitalized?

Most other translations leave friend with lowercase letter.

Tim said:
James 2:23
And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.

Why in the KJV translation is friend capitalized?

Most other translations leave friend with lowercase letter.
I don't think it means anything except that in 1611 grammatical conventions, like when it's appropriate to use capital letters, were different.

There is a KJVO in Ausy land that made a perfect KJV that's what he calls it.

Tim said:
So it doesn't indicate that we are like God/Jesus via our friendship?
I think it means the same thing, with or without the capitalization.
And I think it does kinda mean that either way.

Izdaari said:
FSSL said:
bgwilkinson said:
It's the price you pay for a modern KJV.

Or the ultra-modern so-called PCE edition
I had to google that. I'm not up on KJVO jargon. Probably because I never considered it plausible enough to deserve my attention.

Yes the whole KJVO kerfuffle is rather silly, but always good for a laugh.

It is capitalized because many of the translation committee considered it a proper name.

Friend of God was a name which Abraham was known by among the nations. He is called that by the Moslems, ???? ????, "Khalil Allah", the Friend of God. And the Quran says of him "God took Abraham for his friend'' in Sura 4:125.

But the original 1611 is not capitalized. It is a change later down the road.

Thomas Cassidy said:
It is capitalized because many of the translation committee considered it a proper name.

Friend of God was a name which Abraham was known by among the nations. He is called that by the Moslems, ???? ????, "Khalil Allah", the Friend of God. And the Quran says of him "God took Abraham for his friend'' in Sura 4:125.

As said above, it appears to be a title "Friend of God" - I don't think it makes a difference, really.  With lower case, it is descriptive of Abraham - he was the friend of God -- with upper case, it seems to be a title for him - he was the Friend of God.

FSSL said:
But the original 1611 is not capitalized. It is a change later down the road.

Wait, what? My Schofield isn't a real KJ?  :eek:

;)

Walt said:
Thomas Cassidy said:

As said above, it appears to be a title "Friend of God" - I don't think it makes a difference, really.  With lower case, it is descriptive of Abraham - he was the friend of God -- with upper case, it seems to be a title for him - he was the Friend of God.
Yup, no biggie.

A lot of words are capitalized now, that weren't in 1611.

For instance:

All personal pronoun references to God are now capitalized.

Updates to our beloved English translation should reflect this.

earnestly contend

Thomas Cassidy said:

He'd really be confused by a German Bible.  In German, all the Nouns are capitalized whether They refer to Deity or Humanity.

Agent P said:
Thomas Cassidy said:

He'd really be confused by a German Bible.  In German, all the Nouns are capitalized whether They refer to Deity or Humanity.

What does the translation committee of the Quran have to do with the English Bible?

Thomas Cassidy said:

It would seem when the word friend was used as a name, it was capitalized. Consider:

Matthew 20:13  But he answered one of them, and said, Friend, I do thee no wrong: didst not thou agree with me for a penny?

Matthew 22:12  And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.

Matthew 26:50  And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come? Then came they, and laid hands on Jesus, and took him.

Luke 11:5  And he said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves;
(Here it shows up well, friend being used twice, once as a form of address and capitalized)

Luke 14:10  But when thou art bidden, go and sit down in the lowest room; that when he that bade thee cometh, he may say unto thee, Friend, go up higher: then shalt thou have worship in the presence of them that sit at meat with thee.

ItinerantPreacher said:
It would seem when the word friend was used as a name, it was capitalized. Consider:

All the capitalized uses of "Friend" in your example are the start of a quotation, and hence the start of a sentence. (Which is not as obvious because the KJV does not use quotation marks to set apart spoken words.)

Ransom said:
ItinerantPreacher said:

All the capitalized uses of "Friend" in your example are the start of a quotation, and hence the start of a sentence. (Which is not as obvious because the KJV does not use quotation marks to set apart spoken words.)

You got to it before I could!