KJV question

BALAAM

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I have heard most of my adult life about revisions to the kjv of the bible being only spelling, grammar, and punctuation. I just read an article that said there have been over 100,000 changes since the original 1611 was published.

If there have been changes between the various revisions; does anyone know of a reliable source where these changes can be found? (or rather, founde)

I googled "list of changes to the kjv since 1611" and some interesting links and examples of changes turned up, but no indication of 100,000 changes.

The Rogue Tomato said:
I googled "list of changes to the kjv since 1611" and some interesting links and examples of changes turned up, but no indication of 100,000 changes.

One of the problems is that you hear a lot of stuff and read a lot of stuff and the tendency is to just repeat it without knowing for sure if it is true or not.

Here is an email I received recently from people who have a great many original KJV1611 Bibles.
I have purchased many of their exact reproductions of ancient Bibles.

GREATSITE.COM - The Bible Museum
Hi  B. G. Wilkinson.  Thanks for subscribing to the Email Newsletter of
GREATSITE.COM - Online Showroom of The Bible Museum, Inc.
Easter-He-Is-Risen
In celebration of Easter, we have a special offer for you:
our lowest price ever on the best-selling item on our website.

This year marks 20 years that we have offered our stunningly beautiful full-size facsimile reproductions of the very First Edition of history's most-printed book: the 1611 King James Pulpit Bible.
This enormous and majestic Bible has become a treasured
centerpiece in the homes of thousands of our customers.

When we first offered it, back in 1996, the price was almost $4,000.
A few years later we were able to get the price down to $2,000.
Then, in 2009, we were able to drop it to $1,500.
Finally, in celebration of the 2011 Four Hundredth Anniversary of
the 1611 King James Bible, we were able to increase our production
to a point that we could get the price down to just $995, and that
"Super Deluxe" genuine leather edition is available on our website
right now at that deeply-discounted price. 

Click Here To View Details & Photos or To Buy Online

However, many of our customers told us that they were unable
to afford it, even at that deeply-discounted price. In response,
we went into production on a full-size "Deluxe" edition that is
bound in a much more affordable Italian "Fiscagomma" leatherette that is actually stronger than genuine leather, and is truly indistinguishable from genuine leather by sight or by touch.
Not one person in a hundred would ever guess it was anything
other than a soft and beautifully-grained leather. 

We introduced this masterpiece at $495.

A few years later, we were able to ramp-up production, and get our production costs down to where we could offer it for just $349.

And now, with our production numbers higher than ever, and with the advent of convenient ONLINE ORDERING (no need to call us),
were are thrilled to announce that you can purchase one of these jaw-dropping, gorgeous, full-size, beautifully -bound exact replicas
of the First Edition 1611 King James Pulpit Bible for just $295.

Wait... there's more:  for a limited time we are also including
FREE FED EX 2-3 DAY AIR SHIPPING on this 32 pound Bible.

Wait... there's more:  we are also including a genuine original
page (a "leaf" as we call them) from a 405-year-old original 1611 King James Pulpit Bible, as a FREE BONUS GIFT. 
We sell this separately on our website for $295 itslef,
and we are giving it away with this Bible. 

You will receive the $295 Bible, (formerly $349)
plus the original leaf (a $295 value, as sold separately),
plus 2-3 Day Air Shipping on the 32-pound package (a $45 value),
all for a total of just $295.  That's a $635 value for $295.

The pictures do not do justice to these massively huge examples of the finest printing and binding craftsmanship available today.  These Bibles are printed not on "paper", but rather, on 100% cotton sheet (like a bed sheet, but more crisp). The bindings on both editions have raised bands / hubs on the spine, and gold stamping.  The calligraphy-like Gothic Black-letter typeface is huge and regal.

And if you thinking, "I've already got a King James Bible"... well, unless you got it from us... you probably don't have the Bible as King James originally intended it.  If you bought your "King James Version" Bible at a bookstore
at some point in your lifetime... you are not using the 1611 King James Bible!
In fact... all modern so-called "King James Version" Bibles are not even
close to the textual content of King James Bibles that were printed
throughout the 1600's, and most of the 1700's.

Get ready to discover one of the biggest conspiracies of modern times.
Between 1762 and 1769 there were FORTY THOUSAND CHANGES made, including several hundred wording changes made in the 1611 King James Bible. I'm not talking about just spelling changes or just little typographic errors, either. Allow me to provide just 3 of the more than 400 examples:

Numbers 6: 14
1611 to 1761 KJV Bibles:  one lamb without blemish
1770 to 2016 ?KJV? Bibles:  one ram without blemish

Ezekiel 24: 7
1611 to 1761 KJV Bibles:  poured it upon the ground
1770 to 2016 ?KJV? Bibles:  poured it not upon the ground

John 15: 20
1611 to 1761 KJV Bibles:  The servant is not greater than the Lord.
1770 to 2016 ?KJV? Bibles:  The servant is not greater than his lord.

But wait... it gets much worse!
In 1881 to 1885, all Protestant publishers of the King James Bible
(including Anglican Publishers in England) suddenly removed 14 Books
from Protestant Bible!  Roman Catholic Publishers removed just 2 Books, and they kept the remaining 12.  These inter-testamental books, today known as "The Apocrypha" were written 400 B.C. (They are therefore Old-Testament-Era Jewish Books, and The Apocrypha is obviously not
in any way connected to, or related to, the Roman Catholic Church,
in spite of popular modern misconceptions).

Prior to the 1880's, nearly all Protestants had 80 Books in their Bible... but for just the past 130 years, Protestant Bibles have had only 66 Books.
Even King James himself decreed in 1611, that if you printed his Bible without The Apocrypha, he would put you in jail for one year, and fine you one year of your wages.

All Protestant (and Anglican) Bibles before the 1611 King James Version contained The Apocrypha as well, such as the 1560 Geneva Bible,
The 1568 Bishops Bible, The 1537 & 1549 Matthew-Tyndale Bible,
The 1535 Coverdale Bible, The 1378 Wycliffe Bible... all of them
contained The Apocrypha. (And we offer facsimiles of all these Bibles).

Most of the Great Protestant Reformers and Preachers from the 1500's through the 1800's , including the great and beloved Baptist preacher of the late 1800's, Charles Spurgeon, preached from The Apocrypha.
Do you want the modern, severely edited and altered King James Bible?
Are you OK with more than 40,000 changes, including over 400 significant wording changes, ... and the removal of 14 Books?
Wouldn't you like to own a beautifully-printed exact photographic
facsimile reproduction of the complete, unaltered, unmolested, unedited, original 1611 King James Bible,
... even just for a bookshelf reference piece for your home library?

If the $995 "Super Deluxe" Full-Size Edition and the $295 "Deluxe" Full-Size Edition are too much for your budget, or too large for your home... we are happy to inform you that our "Reduced-Size" 1611 King James Bible Facsimile (it's not 32 pounds like the full-size editions, but it is still an impressive 9 pounds) which sold for many years on our website at $249... recently reduced down to $179... has now been reduced down to just $95... and the SHIPPING IS FREE when you buy online.

Just click on the link above, and select the $995 or $295 or $95 option by clicking on the "Add to Cart" button next to the one you want.  You can then check-out and pay using any credit card, or debit card, or even Pay Pal if you prefer.  Your Bible will ship out within 24 hours via Fed Ex 2-3 Day Air.

Don't miss this opportunity to acquire an heirloom and centerpiece for your home, at a price far lower than we have ever offered in 20 years.  Also, if you know anyone who loves the King James Bible, please do them a huge favor, and forward them this email.  Thanks!

GREATSITE.COM looks like a great site for people who worship a translation. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
GREATSITE.COM looks like a great site for people who worship a translation.

Which translation would that be?

Does this list of Bibles on line show a bias toward only one translation?

You have Latin, English, German, Spanish, Greek and I'm sure there are several others too.

http://www.bibles-online.net/

Found quite a few websites that have a lot of the differences in the various kjv editions. I have been to quite a few and can't recall all of them but there are actual differences in the various editions. Nothing earth shattering or mind-boggling but differences nonetheless. I had been taught all of my life and at hac that any differences were merely spelling and punctuation and that is just not true.

My contention is this: If the translation was "inspired" then why would you need revisions at all? When you step away from extreme ifb'dom and look at it from a distance, there is a lot that doesn't make sense.

BALAAM said:
Found quite a few websites that have a lot of the differences in the various kjv editions. I have been to quite a few and can't recall all of them but there are actual differences in the various editions. Nothing earth shattering or mind-boggling but differences nonetheless. I had been taught all of my life and at hac that any differences were merely spelling and punctuation and that is just not true.

My contention is this: If the translation was "inspired" then why would you need revisions at all? When you step away from extreme ifb'dom and look at it from a distance, there is a lot that doesn't make sense.
Do not step out and do your own research. Don't listen to those compromisers! Let me turn on Dr. Hyles' radio broadcast, or give you a book to occupy your time from the short list of pre-approved books from Peddler's Way.

BALAAM said:
I have heard most of my adult life about revisions to the kjv of the bible being only spelling, grammar, and punctuation. I just read an article that said there have been over 100,000 changes since the original 1611 was published.

If there have been changes between the various revisions; does anyone know of a reliable source where these changes can be found? (or rather, founde)

I think 100,000 is high.

Updates between 1613 and 1639 corrected printers errors.  Two of the still living translators helped.

From 1727 to  1769 an update was made to correct some final printing errors: they also updated the spelling, standardized the use of italics, and added more cross-references and margin notes.

Someone laboriously counted all of the changes to the KJV.  Counting only those that affect sound (that is, not counting spelling changes like "sinne" to "sin", there were 1095 changes to the 791,328 words in the KJV.  The bulk of the 1095 changes were form changes ("toward" instead of "towards", "burnt" to "burned", and so forth.  After putting form changes aside, there were only 136 changes.

BALAAM said:

Exactly!  If the KJV were inspired like Bob Gray Sr (TX),  Gail Riplinger, and others claim, it should have been perfect the first time and needed no revision.

Walt said:
BALAAM said:

Exactly!  If the KJV were inspired like Bob Gray Sr (TX),  Gail Riplinger, and others claim, it should have been perfect the first time and needed no revision.

Exactly.

All 80 books just as translated.

Don't forget dropping 14 of the 80 books represents a boatload of changes.

The KJV was one of the best (almost as good as the Geneva) when it first came out, but that was 405 years ago. Scholarship has advanced, older manuscripts have been found, and the English language has evolved. Now it's just adequate, for those who are able to understand it(mostly just English majors and those who were raised on it).  Nearly every legitimate modern translation is better. But I do prefer it for Psalms. For that, it just flows better.