Kobe Bryant

brianb

Elect
Reaction score
You've probably heard the news so I don't see why I should post a link but this reminds me of the time golfer Payne Stewart died in the airplane crash. He used to golf at a golf course not too far from me and they memorialized him there. I'm sure they will have something big for Kobe. Regardless of who he was it's sad that any one dies and the way it happened only reminds me to always be ready for eternity. I didn't want to post this in one of the general forums so I posted here. It doesn't get much activity here.

Regardless of who he was it's sad that any one dies and the way it happened only reminds me to always be ready for eternity.

Are you "sad" about all the thousands killed by errant drops of US bombs and missiles in the Middle East? How about "sad" for the thousands of aborted babies? No? "Sad" about those killed by drunk drivers?

The truth is we aren't really "sad" unless we are personally affected.

Not picking on you specifically, but this is how people operate. We feel "sad" when someone famous is killed, otherwise, we couldn't care less.

FYI, I'm not "sad" about it at all. Surprised, yes. Sad, no.

We are sadder the closer we are to the person who died. I can't say I'm surprised about his death because I know these things happen but I'm not indifferent or insensitive about it. By the way some of those people who died in the plane crash in Iran were Canadians like me so I have a special reason that Americans don't have to care. Maybe sympathy or compassion is better word to describe it than sadness. I've seen a number of family member (immediate and extended) and friends/acquaintances pass away (some relatively young) so it's hard not to be feel heartless about it. How is that even a Christian attitude?

We are sadder the closer we are to the person who died. I can't say I'm surprised about his death because I know these things happen but I'm not indifferent or insensitive about it. By the way some of those people who died in the plane crash in Iran were Canadians like me so I have a special reason that Americans don't have to care. Maybe sympathy or compassion is better word to describe it than sadness. I've seen a number of family member (immediate and extended) and friends/acquaintances pass away (some relatively young) so it's hard not to be feel heartless about it. How is that even a Christian attitude?

I can go with "sympathy and compassion". Good words.

...so it's hard not to be feel heartless about it. How is that even a Christian attitude?

Our emotions are selective and we are generally unemotional about the daily deaths of thousands, however they die.

What has surprised me as I age is how quickly I get over the deaths of close family. I believe God has built us with that capability "built-in", otherwise we would be "worthless" (but then, that's a different thread!).