Kohl's cash

voicecrying

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Do we have to tithe on our Kohl's cash? :D

Was reading Brant Hansen's new book and he raised this question.

I've tithed on every penny of Kohl's cash I've earned...

The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed,a ‘God, I thank You that I am not like the other men—swindlers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and pay tithes of all that I acquire.’

We don't have Kohl's up here, but I think I can guess what Kohl's Cash is.

Simarly, I've sometimes wondered what percentage of my church's offerings might come in the form of Canadian Tire money put in the plate by over-scrupulous tithers.

If we are supposed to tithe on our "Mint and Anise" (Mt 23:3), then I guess we had better tithe on our Kohls Cash! I guess this also means we should tithe on our frequent flier miles among other things.

Kohls cash is not income it is a discount / rebate on the purchase price of the merchandis you buy. No one pays tithe or income taxes on the savings when your groceries are on sale or on a rebate check or if you use coupons. If McDonalds gives you a buy one get one free breakfast sandwich that is a wise (though unhealthy) use or the money God has blessed you with not income (increase).

How about this one:

For those of use who practice tithing do you tithe on your 401K money when your emplorer puts it into your account or when you take it out. I don't consider it income untill I have access to it. Same with pension contributions. Those of you who have a pension, should you tithe when the money is paid out or when your employer pays it in.

How about tithing on the gross or net of your paycheck?

What about social security tax, do you tithe when you pay into social security or when you take it out in the form of SS payments.
What about the 6.6% your employrer pays into your Social Security.

What about workmans comp?
Healthcare?
Free gym membership or on workplace on-site gyms?

How about this one:

For those of use who practice tithing do you tithe on your 401K money when your emplorer puts it into your account or when you take it out. I don't consider it income untill I have access to it. Same with pension contributions. Those of you who have a pension, should you tithe when the money is paid out or when your employer pays it in.
I better get ready... This month I'll be old enough to draw on my 401k account without penalty.

Kohls cash is not income it is a discount / rebate on the purchase price of the merchandis you buy.
I don't know about that. My wife acts as if someone slipped her a $20 when she gets Kohl's cash.

How about tithing on the gross or net of your paycheck?

What about social security tax, do you tithe when you pay into social security or when you take it out in the form of SS payments.
What about the 6.6% your employrer pays into your Social Security.

What about workmans comp?
Healthcare?
Free gym membership or on workplace on-site gyms?
Careful now. You're going to send all the rule-keepers into fits of panic.

Abiword HTML Document
Heb7:4 See how great this man was to whom Abraham the patriarch gave a tenth of the spoils!

Heb7:5 And those descendants of Levi who receive the priestly office have a commandment in the law to take tithes from the people, that is, from their brothers, though these also are descended from Abraham.

Heb7:12 For when there is a change in the priesthood, there is necessarily a change in the law as well.

Heb7:18 For on the one hand, a former commandment is set aside because of its weakness and uselessness

Heb7:19 (for the law made nothing perfect); but on the other hand, a better hope is introduced, through which we draw near to God.

Tithing was a national tax on the nation of Israel to support the Levites, the court system, helping the poor, etc. What nation could survive without some form of taxation. Jesus made it very clear that we should pay taxes. However, Hebrews makes it clear as rain that “the commandment of the law” was done away with in the New Covenant. Too many Christians try to force everyone back under the bondage of the law.

2Co8:12 For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.

2Co9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly,or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

2 Corinthians chapters 8 and 9 explains how Christians are to give. Having been involved in “Independent Fundamental” Baptist churches for many years, I remember all the pressure to give ten percent on everything from gross income to every penny that you may come across in a very legalistic way. I remember one evangelist visiting our church who of course had to have one sermon on “tithing” boasted about how he had a church member he had guilted into selling his house to pay God back his back taxes, uhm, I mean tithes.

The first three offerings in Leviticus 1-3 (burnt, meal, and peace) were “sweet aroma” offerings and were completely voluntary unlike the sin and trespass offerings.

The free will offerings used to build the temple (Ex 36:5-6) were so abundant that they had to restrain the people from giving. That is how God has always desired His people to give. Today the free will offering is the only offering we have. There is no tithe demanded of the church. We rely on the sacrifice of Jesus, not the sacrifice of animals for our atonement.

1 Corinthians 16:1-2 shows that the early church met on Sunday and giving must occur regularly, not just when one feels generous. As God as prospered him (proportionately). Obviously someone God has blessed to be a millionaire would give more than someone living paycheck to paycheck. No required amount or percentage is given in the NT. All giving to the Lord is to be free will giving and completely discretionary (2 Cor 9:6).

A chicken and a pig walking down the street saw a sign that read, “ham and egg breakfast, all proceeds go to charity”. The chicken said “I think we should do something to help”. The pig said “that’s easy for you to say. For you it’s an offering, for me, it’s a sacrifice”.

When David sought to buy the threshing floor of Arunah to build an altar on which to make an offering to God as intercession to stop a plague in the land, Arunah offered to donate the land, the stone for the altar, the wood for the fire, even the oxen for the sacrifice. David said, “No, I will pay full price, for I will not offer the Lord my God that which costs me nothing”.

Do we have to tithe on our Kohl's cash? :D

Was reading Brant Hansen's new book and he raised this question.
Tithing is not required because the 2nd Temple was destroyed in 70 AD and we are not supporting the Levitical priesthood anymore. However, orphans and the needy elderly should be taken care of.

Tithing is not required because the 2nd Temple was destroyed in 70 AD and we are not supporting the Levitical priesthood anymore. However, orphans and the needy elderly should be taken care of.
But when Christ came as high priest of the good things that have come,f He went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not made by hands and is not a part of this creation. He did not enter by the blood of goats and calves, but He entered the Most Holy Place once for all by His own blood, thus securing eternal redemption. Hebrews 9:11-12 BSB

This passage predates AD 70 by a couple decades.

But when Christ came as high priest of the good things that have come,f He went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not made by hands and is not a part of this creation. He did not enter by the blood of goats and calves, but He entered the Most Holy Place once for all by His own blood, thus securing eternal redemption. Hebrews 9:11-12 BSB

This passage predates AD 70 by a couple decades.
What does this have to do with tithing?