Kokomo parents and students whine over being made to pay their lunch tab.

ALAYMAN

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Just another example of social media revealing the pitiful state of character and attitudes of the millennial generation (and their children) is here on vivid display.

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/high-school-calls-out-kids-with-lunch-balances-203559666.html

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/high-school-calls-out-kids-with-lunch-balances-203559666.html

HAVING TO EAT A CHEESE SANDWICH FOR LUNCH!  THE HORROR!!!!!

Moral to the story, pay your bills on time when you have the financial ability to do so.

I agree with them paying their bill to avoid those repercussions. But I also understand a kid not wanting to feel the stigma put on him by his peers.

But yeah, pay the bill and it won't happen. If there is a job loss in the family and they can't afford a lunch, there is a process to get eligibility for free or reduced school lunches.

ALAYMAN said:
Moral to the story, pay your bills on time when you have the financial ability to do so.
Yup and yup.

The idiotic public school system in the county next to mine has declared that school lunches for all students will be free now.  Guess they think that will improve their rating as one of if not the worst public school system in Georgia.

FreeToBeMe said:
The idiotic public school system in the county next to mine has declared that school lunches for all students will be free now.  Guess they think that will improve their rating as one of if not the worst public school system in Georgia.

It's actually not that idiotic.  This is generally allowed when the percentage of children receiving free and reduced lunch reaches a certain threshold.  The thinking is that, since so few are paying,  the administrative cost to collect from those few students outweighs the cost to just give everyone a free meal.

FreeToBeMe said:
ALAYMAN said:
Yup and yup.

Here's a novel idea: why don't the local churches of the school district get together and cover ALL free lunches for the kids who meet the 'low income family' criteria? This will allow the school to keep charging those who can afford lunches.

Smellin Coffee said:
Here's a novel idea: why don't the local churches of the school district get together and cover ALL free lunches for the kids who meet the 'low income family' criteria? This will allow the school to keep charging those who can afford lunches.
If you knew anything about this county, you'd know why this would never happen.  Sad, but true.  Let's just say it's not only the public school system in this county that has a big problem.

Smellin Coffee said:
I agree with them paying their bill to avoid those repercussions. But I also understand a kid not wanting to feel the stigma put on him by his peers.

But yeah, pay the bill and it won't happen. If there is a job loss in the family and they can't afford a lunch, there is a process to get eligibility for free or reduced school lunches.

And those who qualify for free/reduced lunches were not even subject to the change in policy.

ALAYMAN said:
Just another example of social media revealing the pitiful state of character and attitudes of the millennial generation (and their children) is here on vivid display.

HAVING TO EAT A CHEESE SANDWICH FOR LUNCH!  THE HORROR!!!!!

Absolutely nothing wrong with a cheese sandwich. I ate many a cheese (plus mayo) sandwiches (waaaaaaay) back in the day. Them, PB&J and bologna sandwiches were what I usually found in my lunch bag on a daily basis. On white bread at that!! That was the real horror!! LOL :eek:  :p  I hardly ate what was sold/served in the cafeteria. We (my brother, sister and I) usually "brown bagged" it every day. Maybe only once or twice a month would we buy a meal at school.

:)

HeDied4U said:
Absolutely nothing wrong with a cheese sandwich. I ate many a cheese (plus mayo) sandwiches (waaaaaaay) back in the day. Them, PB&J and bologna sandwiches were what I usually found in my lunch bag on a daily basis. On white bread at that!! That was the real horror!! LOL :eek:  :p 

Exactly right.  But they'd have a hard time shaming ALAYBOY that way, since he's a cheese-a-holic who'd eat cheese sandwiches practically every meal. :D

HeDied4U said:
I hardly ate what was sold/served in the cafeteria. We (my brother, sister and I) usually "brown bagged" it every day. Maybe only once or twice a month would we buy a meal at school.

Yeppers again.  Especially in elementary school.  There was a mom-and-pop corner store literally right across the street from the school and I'd save my lunch money until after school so I could run over there and get a soda, candy bar, some penny candy, and if any money was left after that I'd think about savin' it up until I could get one of those cheap parachute army men. :D

ALAYMAN said:
Smellin Coffee said:

And those who qualify for free/reduced lunches were not even subject to the change in policy.

Exactly.

ALAYMAN said:
HeDied4U said:
Absolutely nothing wrong with a cheese sandwich. I ate many a cheese (plus mayo) sandwiches (waaaaaaay) back in the day. Them, PB&J and bologna sandwiches were what I usually found in my lunch bag on a daily basis. On white bread at that!! That was the real horror!! LOL :eek:  :p 

Exactly right.  But they'd have a hard time shaming ALAYBOY that way, since he's a cheese-a-holic who'd eat cheese sandwiches practically every meal. :D

HeDied4U said:
I hardly ate what was sold/served in the cafeteria. We (my brother, sister and I) usually "brown bagged" it every day. Maybe only once or twice a month would we buy a meal at school.

Yeppers again.  Especially in elementary school.  There was a mom-and-pop corner store literally right across the street from the school and I'd save my lunch money until after school so I could run over there and get a soda, candy bar, some penny candy, and if any money was left after that I'd think about savin' it up until I could get one of those cheap parachute army men. :D

ALAYMAN said:
HeDied4U said:

Exactly right.  But they'd have a hard time shaming ALAYBOY...

And this is my problem with the policy...

Let's shame a child for the actions of their parent. /sarcasm

rsc2a said:
ALAYMAN said:
HeDied4U said:

Exactly right.  But they'd have a hard time shaming ALAYBOY...

And this is my problem with the policy...

Let's shame a child for the actions of their parent. /sarcasm

I'm sure that the primary purpose of the policy was conceived as a last resort, with the byproduct of shame being an unintended consequence.  The parents had opportunity to not put their kids in an awkward position when they received notice of their delinquency in payment.  All that aside, kids will face a whole lot more pressure through shaming by the natural processes of the student body and pressure to conform to pop culture.  They need to get thicker skin if something like being forced to eat an "alternative lunch" for one day in their life.  For that matter, consider it a life lesson on what it means to not pay your bills, even if the parents won't heed the notice.

How Christ-like of you.

rsc2a said:
How Christ-like of you.

You don't think Christians should pay their bills on time to their creditors?

ALAYMAN said:
rsc2a said:
How Christ-like of you.

You don't think Christians should pay their bills on time to their creditors?
I didn't say anything about their actions.

Maybe you stop worrying so much about about their speck.

rsc2a said:
I didn't say anything about their actions.

Maybe you stop worrying so much about about their speck.

Maybe you should try being less cryptic.  I know it's hard to string words together coherently for you, but give it try sometime.  What "speck" am I worrying about?

I wonder if that school might have avoided a bunch of trouble by simply grilling the cheese sandwich and serving it with a few chips and a dill pickle?

But?Is there a line?  Should we draw a line?  Where should we draw the line?  Why shouldn?t we draw a line? 

The crux of this story is that a child who received an ?inferior? lunch (as perceived by the girl next in line) was ?shamed? because the parents didn?t deposit funds into a lunch account in a timely manner.  Oh.  My.  Word!  What a tragedy?Not!  In the ?real world?, more likely than not, the child would have simply gone hungry. 

Frankly, this news article reminds me of the ?Affluenza? kid, who ?got off? on vehicular manslaughter charges, only to break his probation by fleeing the country with his enabling mother. 

Yes, sometimes tough lessons are (better) learned in childhood, but in this case, I?m wondering if the ?next in line? child had the ability to dig into her own pocket to pay for the meal instead of contacting the media.