Language School

Baptist City Holdout

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I really mean no malice in asking this question, but why do missionaries start language school after arriving in their called field? I guess I am naive, but this is the 21st century will many resources to learn a language while on deputation. There was a recent letter read at church where the missionary stated they had arrived in the nation of __________ and are now learning the language.
Am I missing something?

I really mean no malice in asking this question, but why do missionaries start language school after arriving in their called field? I guess I am naive, but this is the 21st century will many resources to learn a language while on deputation. There was a recent letter read at church where the missionary stated they had arrived in the nation of __________ and are now learning the language.
Am I missing something?
It’s not just about learning the language, it’s also about learning the culture. Americans have a bad record of going into foreign countries (including as missionaries) and acting like poorly behaved mini colonizers. The culture is every bit as important as the language.

As Huk stated, many missionaries know very little about the cultures into which they are going. If they're learning the language while living in the culture, it usually helps them to absorb the language better....it's more in "context" with what they're learning. I know some Spanish, but the cultures are different in Spain, Puerto Rico, DR, and Mexico or South American countries where Spanish is spoken. Back when I was in Bible college, my then-fiance and I wanted to go to Mexico as missionaries. Though I knew a lot about the language, I knew very little about the conditions in the country and how the people responded to things. It always is wise to take a few trips to the region on is considering instead of just trying to "leap into" things.

It’s not just about learning the language, it’s also about learning the culture. Americans have a bad record of going into foreign countries (including as missionaries) and acting like poorly behaved mini colonizers. The culture is every bit as important as the language.
I agree, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to get a jump start on the language, if possible, by taking online instruction.

As Huk stated, many missionaries know very little about the cultures into which they are going. If they're learning the language while living in the culture, it usually helps them to absorb the language better....it's more in "context" with what they're learning. I know some Spanish, but the cultures are different in Spain, Puerto Rico, DR, and Mexico or South American countries where Spanish is spoken. Back when I was in Bible college, my then-fiance and I wanted to go to Mexico as missionaries. Though I knew a lot about the language, I knew very little about the conditions in the country and how the people responded to things. It always is wise to take a few trips to the region on is considering instead of just trying to "leap into" things.
I went from SoCal to Alabama to work in a church...Boy what a culture shock I experienced! :D

I went from SoCal to Alabama to work in a church...Boy what a culture shock I experienced! :D
I know how you feel! My family moved from Illinois to Georgia in 1983. Talk about language barriers! LOL I was used to hearing about a water hose...down there it's called a "hosepipe!" I heard about flowers growing up....down there they call them "flares!" South Carolina was a great state, as was North Carolina....but after I started hearing about Socalina and Nocalina, I felt like I needed to move to France! LOL

tourists from the u.s. mainland that come to hawaii frequently complain about culture shock... and even act sometimes like they have stepped off the jet into a 3rd world country .. ..many are aware that many different languages are spoken here.... ... but what;s really embarassing is to see them in a restaurant berating a server for not knowing english when the server is speaking perfect english.... just not in the accent or dialect they are accustomed to.... you can only learn so much of a language from a book... .being coached by someone native to the country and familiar with the culture is always best...

Last edited:
A pretty easy couple of years learning a language and "raising support". Unless one does it like the SB's do, which makes a whole lot more sense.

A pretty easy couple of years learning a language and "raising support". Unless one does it like the SB's do, which makes a whole lot more sense.
I used to love the idea of the cooperative in the SBC. But, with all of the trouble brewing in the NAMB, with Kevin Ezell and his attempts to make the SBC a hierarchy, and the way the IMB continually impedes on missionaries sent to countries where they feel the need to stay whether there is danger or not forcing them to leave instead of following God's leading, I have to say, I would rather opt for the missionaries who raise their own support by going church to church, are accountable to those churches, and have to stay in contact with regular updates to the churches supporting them. I've made mention of this many times to my pastor (we are members of a small SBC church here in Tennessee) and though he supports me after having me showing him several of the concerns, it's NOT a popular position/opinion.

Very good explanations given. So really it could also be called Culture School, but we all know that would really be a turn off for a missionary to write his supporting IFB churches that he is going to Culture School, 'cause we all know being cultured is of the devil. :)
i would say it;s a combination of both.... when i first moved here i began learning different languages that my new friends at school spoke... and also learning about the different cultures at the same time.. ...doesn;t mean i adopted any of their cultures... but i became aware of them in a way that allowed me to be around them and interact with them without causing insult.... and that;s important if someone wishes to help rather than harm the people of the new country they are moving to......

but i became aware of them in a way that allowed me to be around them and interact with them without causing insult.... and that;s important if someone wishes to help rather than harm the people of the new country they are moving to......
A lot of us wish all these dadgum Yankees moving down South would adopt this mentality!

A lot of us wish all these dadgum Yankees moving down South would adopt this mentality!
Hey! Hey! Hey, now! I'm a "Yankee" having been born a Hoosier, and raised an Illini after the age of six. My family moved to GA in 1983, and I married a GA peach in 1984. I've spent most of my life in the South, and consider myself a Southerner, and so do all that I'm in contact with. But, my roots are Yankee!

Hey! Hey! Hey, now! I'm a "Yankee" having been born a Hoosier, and raised an Illini after the age of six. My family moved to GA in 1983, and I married a GA peach in 1984. I've spent most of my life in the South, and consider myself a Southerner, and so do all that I'm in contact with. But, my roots are Yankee!
I’m speaking more of these people from New York, Jersey, etc. I’m ok with the midwesterners, except some of the Chicago people rub me the wrong way, but I almost don’t count them as real Midwestern people.

I’m speaking more of these people from New York, Jersey, etc. I’m ok with the midwesterners, except some of the Chicago people rub me the wrong way, but I almost don’t count them as real Midwestern people.
Chicago people rub me the wrong way, and I was raised just 2 1/2 hours SW of there near Peoria. Never have liked or trusted many Chicagoans as they always tend to be too liberal for my taste!

The problem with the IMB is that they have way too much control and way too strict of reporting over the lives of the missionaries.
I totally agree! They've forced missionaries from Ukraine and countries in Africa to leave because of war/political unrest/etc. Some of them protested stating that they believed God wanted them to stay, and the IMB threatened to pull funding. That's not right. If the LORD tells them to stay, who is the IMB to tell them otherwise? Also in this country, the NAMB is a joke. They aren't funding underserved areas by sending missionaries to those areas in states that really need preachers.