Leaving a church because the pastor cant preach ?

Saved by Grace

Elect
Reaction score
Is it wrong to leave a church if a pastor cant preach .....?

Doctrinally he is sound.
Nothing scriptural disqualifying
Not a bad person

Just has no ability to hold attention and expound the Scripture or make it real

Had a charismatic ask me this at work and I couldn't answer him. ( we do defer on doctrine but he was asking if that happened among Baptist )

I realize we dont always agree on all thing but I know most of you love the Lord and Im curious your thoughts or experiences.

Saved by Grace said:
Is it wrong to leave a church if a pastor cant preach .....?

Doctrinally he is sound.
Nothing scriptural disqualifying
Not a bad person

Just has no ability to hold attention and expound the Scripture or make it real

Had a charismatic ask me this at work and I couldn't answer him. ( we do defer on doctrine but he was asking if that happened among Baptist )

I realize we dont always agree on all thing but I know most of you love the Lord and Im curious your thoughts or experiences.

But can he teach?  "apt to teach" is a requirement.  Most pastors can't teach a lick.

fishinnut said:

Yeah, but the real reason was the best fishing hole was closer to another church.

I would never sit under a pastor who could not preach or feed his people spiritually.

I can't continue to go to a church and listen to a man speak that can't connect with me. I know that may be selfish but that's how it is. I don't need drama or extreme humor or vocal pyrotechnics or whatever, but I do need to connect to the message. If not, I go looking.

It seems to me that the better thing to do would be to try to replace the preacher.

But if that isn't possible, yeah, I might reluctantly leave. Part of the church's mandate is to equip the saints to do the work of God through the ministry of the word of God. If a particular assembly is falling short of that mandate, and shows no effort to improve, it might be wise to fellowship elsewhere.

A boring, long-winded, dullard can cause your kids to reject church. I've seen vibrant ministries be destroyed by people who cannot communicate.

I need to add this caveat... not everyone is going to be a "John MacArthur-level" communicator. However, having been on both sides of the pulpit, I have learned that those who are long-winded are typically short-read in the study. A lack of preparation is usually the problem.

The honorable Rev. FSSL said:
A boring, long-winded, dullard can cause your kids to reject church. I've seen vibrant ministries be destroyed by people who cannot communicate.

I need to add this caveat... not everyone is going to be a "John MacArthur-level" communicator. However, having been on both sides of the pulpit, I have learned that those who are long-winded are typically short-read in the study. A lack of preparation is usually the problem.
Yes!

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

I think that is fair and prudent to not assume one's judgment on the  matter of preaching clarity and effectiveness is absolutely accurate and unbiased.  As such, I'd probably kindly and respectfully ask a Spirit-filled godly person(s) if they had the same perspective.  Other questions are in order for context as well.  Has this preacher/pastor always been this boring?  Are they different now than when they church agreed to bring them aboard?  Ultimately, if the whole congregation is stagnating due to his ineffectiveness then it may be the right thing to do to respectfully ask the pastor and congregation if it is time for a change. 

Different people haven't differing perspectives and needs in what constitutes proper pulpit presence.  For instance, some people love Charles Stanley.  While I think that he's essentially doctrinally sound, I would not consider a move to his church because his style ain't my thang.  Other factors besides style should also come into play as well though, like his pastoral care for the church, ability to teach, etc.  In addition, family consideration should be made.  Maybe the youth group your kid belongs to is thriving, or your spouse is growing under the pastor's care (or other ministries).  There are other outlets of ministry that a mature Christian can pursue in such situations  to help edify the body in service/ministry, besides sitting through another sermon.