Legislating Morality

rsc2a

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
How far should a government go?

Only within the parameters of what I believe and how I want it to act.  :p

The 10 commandments didn't help legislate righteousness.... (that's how Israel eventually treated the commandments)...

If it didn't help them. Its not going to help anyone.

Having said that.....

Just how far should the government go in restricting "sin" from "sinners"......might be a better question. Granted. I wouldn't want an Xer defining "sin".

Legislation isn't really as much about changing behavior as it is about a legitimate means (it's the law) to punish those who disobey. 

How far should government go in legislating morality?

Not at all. Government wouldn't know morality if it bit them in the tuchis. What it should legislate is protecting the rights of individuals. And there is basically one right: to do as one pleases, so long as it doesn't involve initiating physical violence or the threat of physical violence against another. That includes fraud, which is theft by deception. Or as Jefferson put it, "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." So whatever one does that doesn't have an idenfiable victim may be morally wrong, but it cannot be a crime.

It's pretty interesting so far.

Mostly in how quiet people are about this question. :)

Also, they should outlaw overeating and greed, but not necessarily pedophilia, as that would depend on the person.

Ransom said:
Also, they should outlaw overeating and greed, but not necessarily pedophilia, as that would depend on the person.

And pride! Pride should definitely be outlawed.
Along with the glaring sin of Sodom....inhospitatity!

rsc2a said:
It's pretty interesting so far.

Mostly in how quiet people are about this question. :)

If righteousness could come through keeping a law.... then Christ died in vain.

God's tool of government is part of common grace. It is designed to keep society from becoming as evil as it possibly can.

It's not about establishing righteousness. It's about restraining evil.

So... we should expect morality to be legislated and enforced. Now... the question is "what are the greatest moral priorities?"

Tarheel Baptist said:
Ransom said:

And pride! Pride should definitely be outlawed.
Along with the glaring sin of Sodom....inhospitatity!

In short, you two don't have an actual answer to the question?

FSSL said:
God's tool of government is part of common grace. It is designed to keep society from becoming as evil as it possibly can.

So... we should expect morality to be legislated and enforced. Now... the question is "what are the greatest moral priorities?"

I largely agree with you here, including the question you asked. But that doesn't answer the initial question.

rsc2a said:
FSSL said:

I largely agree with you here, including the question you asked. But that doesn't answer the initial question.

I did give an actual answer to it, but no one seems to like it much.  :-*