Liberty's next commencement speaker

Anchor

Elect
Reaction score
With the epic fail of the last couple of presidential hopefuls Liberty has had as their commencement faces (McCain/Romney) and their penchant for the "Judeo-Christian" Hollywood elite as their commencement identities (Ben Stein/Chuck Norris/ et.al.), I am predicting celebrity over politics this year and am ready to go out on a limb and name the next voice of Liberty Commencement.

And the winner is: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/11/26/star-two-and-half-men-angus-t-jones-urges-fans-to-stop-watching-calls-show/?intcmp=features

OK, maybe not commencement, but certainly worth a good convocation or two, like other celebrity empty suits such as Carrie Prejean (of course, in Carrie's case she is more of an "empty bikini").

Jones is a Seventh-day Adventist. Hey, after Beck and Romney represented the Mormons, what's one more cult member?

Ransom said:
Jones is a Seventh-day Adventist. Hey, after Beck and Romney represented the Mormons, what's one more cult member?

Maybe some day he'll be on the Voice of Prophecy which broadcasts on many Christian stations. I just love how they avoid telling people what they really believe. It's so fundamentally/evangelically friendly.

But why not Prince (he's a Jehovah's Witness)? Nah, I just can't imagine the party like it's 1999 guy at Liberty U.

Or how about Little Richard (I think he's still SDA)?. He's turning 80 next month and is still active (Good Golly Miss Molly, woooooooo. :D)

Or one of the many celebrities who are Scientologists...

If you are talking about facial hair that is no problem. It was against the rule in the 70s, now staff and graduate students have facial hair.

7th Day Adventist? Church of Christ?  What does it matter? To be the Liberty commencement speaker, orthodoxy doesn't even enter the equation. 

All that is required is to appear to be a fiscal and/or Hollywood conservative and have at least token celebrity status. 

Anchor said:
7th Day Adventist? Church of Christ?  What does it matter? To be the Liberty commencement speaker, orthodoxy doesn't even enter the equation. 

All that is required is to appear to be a fiscal and/or Hollywood conservative and have at least token celebrity status.

This should come as no surprise to those who know/remember who started the "Moral Majority". That was inclusive of any one who had the same morals but not the same beliefs - it was all in the name of saving America from secularism. Later on Falwell realized the majority wasn't moral at all.

Anchor said:
With the epic fail of the last couple of presidential hopefuls Liberty has had as their commencement faces (McCain/Romney) and their penchant for the "Judeo-Christian" Hollywood elite as their commencement identities (Ben Stein/Chuck Norris/ et.al.), I am predicting celebrity over politics this year and am ready to go out on a limb and name the next voice of Liberty Commencement.

And the winner is: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/11/26/star-two-and-half-men-angus-t-jones-urges-fans-to-stop-watching-calls-show/?intcmp=features

OK, maybe not commencement, but certainly worth a good convocation or two, like other celebrity empty suits such as Carrie Prejean (of course, in Carrie's case she is more of an "empty bikini").

Liberty doesn't hide their philosophy for convocation:

"Convocation is North America's largest weekly gathering of Christian students, and each year it plays host to more than 80 guest speakers of national significance from every sphere of society."

You might not like it or agree with it but it's not like they are claiming all of the speakers are believers.

Maybe they should knowingly put a pastor like Chuck Phelps on the board of directors who has purposely tried to cover up sexual abuse in churches...until even their own student body and alumni couldn't take it any longer. Or perhaps the Chancellor Emeritus should write a glowing forward in the book of two brothers following their imprisonment for eviscerating a kid's kidney after beating for more than 90 minutes because he didn't know his Bible verses....after they still claim it was a lie despite evidence to the contrary. Or if they weren't already accredited like some other christian colleges maybe they could have a convocation speaker who could tell them all the great reasons for accreditation now....after railing against it forever as being sinful.  The mote and the beam comes to mind if you want to complain along those lines.

Looking at this years convocation lineup from what i know of them I only have a few qualms about a two and they are believers. :)