Life after the Compound???

JustABigKid

Elect
Reaction score
So question to all those that have left... What are you doing now that you have left the compound.....

Church?
Type of Work?
Family?

I know at the compound you are beat to death with if you leave everything will fall apart. So what is your story?

I personally am attending a church that though it is IFB it is nothing like the compound. The pastor preaches the Bible and the Bible only and does not dictate to anyone what they should/can/cannot/should not do. He does however teach HOW to decide what you should or should not do based on the Bible and God's Leading in an individual's life. It is great!!!!

Working a good job at a Christian ran company where I openly get to talk about the Bible with coworkers and they love it.

Family is still going strong and our love is getting better and better as it should.

Well when we left we initially went to another IFB church that turned out to be like WHBC.  In checking around we found that we had to draw a line in the sand as being any church that had any type of communication or touch towards WHBC was off limits. And I mean any!!

Now, health and work issues make it difficult to attend regularly.  Love catching different preachers on TV.  Gotta love Osteen, no?

The work is what I have always done since I finished my training decades ago.

All my family is doing well despite WHBC best efforts to destroy us after our departure.

admin said:
What about trying churches without "fundamental" in the name?

This looks promising...
http://www.gbcok.org/gbcabout.html

When we do go it is no longer to a church with "Fundamental" in its name or discription.

I will look over the website you linked as a possibility.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice.  It would be a while before we join one I am sure.  Truth is we may never join one again do to our situation.

It opens us up to visiting many over time

And that RV thing sounds good

It has been my observation that if the pastor mingles in the foyer and sanctuary before church you might not have man worship.    If you only see the Pastor when he and the other men come out a side door and sit on the platform you might have man worship. 

When I walked in my church early one morning and my pastor was vacuuming the auditorium I knew his heart was right in that area. 

Tanner said:
It has been my observation that if the pastor mingles in the foyer and sanctuary before church you might not have man worship.    If you only see the Pastor when he and the other men come out a side door and sit on the platform you might have man worship. 

When I walked in my church early one morning and my pastor was vacuuming the auditorium I knew his heart was right in that area.

That's a pretty good observation.

Tanner said:

Excellent observation. If a pastor is too busy for his people, he is a hireling. 

A true servant's heart.

JustABigKid said:
So question to all those that have left... What are you doing now that you have left the compound.....

Church?
Type of Work?
Family?

I know at the compound you are beat to death with if you leave everything will fall apart. So what is your story?

I personally am attending a church that though it is IFB it is nothing like the compound. The pastor preaches the Bible and the Bible only and does not dictate to anyone what they should/can/cannot/should not do. He does however teach HOW to decide what you should or should not do based on the Bible and God's Leading in an individual's life. It is great!!!!

Working a good job at a Christian ran company where I openly get to talk about the Bible with coworkers and they love it.

Family is still going strong and our love is getting better and better as it should.

When we left the controlling church (not WHBC, but much like it), we settled into an IFB church, but it's great. The pastor doesn't believe in conforming people to himself; he believes and practices that the Holy Spirit transforms believers and that his job is to preach the truth.

Because we didn't work for the church, job didn't change.

Family is far better.

Tanner said:

Well JAV would come out before each service and walk no parade through the auditorium shaking hands with some honored few.  It was amazing how many and who they were that he passed by without acknowledging when they were right in front of him.

Tommy boy did the same back before we left.

If the Pastor has casual conversations and doesn't have the same ten men all over him you might not have man worship.  If you approach the pastor and one of the ten men ask, what is it you need?  Man worship. 

Answering the OP, I pastor a small church and am self-employed in a side job to make ends meet. God has been very good to me, giving me a great wife and kids. After leaving WH, I graduated from Heartland,  moved to Texas to help a church and met my wife. Then, I was a Spanish pastor in Tennessee for over 6 years, and have now pastored in Arkansas for almost 2 years.  I have almost come full circle.  We are an independent Baptist church, but the spirit is much different than what I grew up around.  By the way, I regularly vacuum the auditorium or operate the plunger.  That is what you get to do when you pastor a small church.  But we also have some good people who try to get to that stuff before I can.

When I saw our pastor walk past with a plunger in hand shortly after a Sunday Morning service, my jaw hit the floor.  We had been attending there for a month or so when it happened.  The church runs between 140 and 180, so there were plenty of people he could have asked, but he didn't.  I've been in a few churches over the years where the pastor was a servant, but it had been a LONG time.
When we moved, he was the first one to show up to help.  Since he is a servant, the people are as well.  Have you ever seen a family move with 10-15 people there to help?  10:30 am, everything was done, and when the pizzas arrived at noon, they were all gone!  :)

The Bible teaches we are all to be servants. A Pastor is to set the example and be a servant himself. If he puts himself on a pedestal the members will think more highly of themselves too.

A pastor is to serve the congregation not the other way around.

SixGreatKids said:
When I saw our pastor walk past with a plunger in hand shortly after a Sunday Morning service, my jaw hit the floor.  We had been attending there for a month or so when it happened.  The church runs between 140 and 180, so there were plenty of people he could have asked, but he didn't.  I've been in a few churches over the years where the pastor was a servant, but it had been a LONG time.
When we moved, he was the first one to show up to help.  Since he is a servant, the people are as well.  Have you ever seen a family move with 10-15 people there to help?  10:30 am, everything was done, and when the pizzas arrived at noon, they were all gone!  :)

Similar story here... one Sunday night, the women's restroom flooded.  Many people knew it, but most were glad it was "someone else's problem" and went home.  The pastor didn't say a word; just went to where the mop and bucket were, and began swabbing the floor.  Another man & I noticed and stayed and tried to help.  But he was a hero to me that night.

1. Going to a church that is not dead.
2. Going to a church that preaches Christ.
3. Going to a church that our pastor truly leads by example.
4. Going to a church that our pastor FEEDS his flock.
5. Going to a church where our pastor loves his people.
6. Going to a church where our pastor works as hard as anyone in the church.
7. Going to a church where our pastor is THERE for the missionaries that are sent from the church instead of telling them their problems are not his, call someone else, keep sending your tithe to WHBC.
8. Going to a church that is Christ centered, not revolved around a man.
9. Going to a church that believes in Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, Temperance:
NOT hate for the brethren, Spreading discord, Boastfulness, Arrogance, Self Centeredness. 
10. Going to a church where our pastor would never think he has so much power as to tell someone to eat fecal matter with a spoon?
11. Going to a church where the pastor doesn't spread lies and discord about the former members to take the attention away from his own evil ways.
12. Going to a church that is Independent Fundamental Baptist and loving it.

I could spend the rest of my day writing about this subject but to cut it short for now, Life is so different. We absolutely LOVE going to church. God has blessed us in so many ways.

Work, no difference, which is just fine.

Family, Big difference!
We have never been a closer family and God continues to pour His blessings on us. The compound drives wedges between family members and the compound leader seems to enjoy that kind of power, so much as to boast about it.
Our family started healing on the very day we left that place, and it didn't take but hours to completely heal the scars that WHBC inflicted on our family. It was amazing to see how God used the sinful situation in the pulpit of WHBC to bring joy and peace to our family. Thank You Lord. I would bet there are literally hundreds of families that can say the same.

Cicero said:
7. Going to a church where our pastor is THERE for the missionaries that are sent from the church instead of telling them their problems are not his, call someone else, keep sending your tithe to WHBC.
9. Going to a church that believes in Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, Gentleness, Goodness, Faith, Meekness, Temperance:
NOT hate for the brethren, Spreading discord, Boastfulness, Arrogance, Self Centeredness. 
10. Going to a church where our pastor would never think he has so much power as to tell someone to eat fecal matter with a spoon?
11. Going to a church where the pastor doesn't spread lies and discord about the former members to take the attention away from his own evil ways.

I could spend the rest of my day writing about this subject but to cut it short for now, Life is so different. We absolutely LOVE going to church. God has blessed us in so many ways.

Family, Big difference!
We have never been a closer family and God continues to pour His blessings on us. The compound drives wedges between family members and the compound leader seems to enjoy that kind of power, so much as to boast about it.
Our family started healing on the very day we left that place, and it didn't take but hours to completely heal the scars that WHBC inflicted on our family. It was amazing to see how God used the sinful situation in the pulpit of WHBC to bring joy and peace to our family. Thank You Lord. I would bet there are literally hundreds of families that can say the same.

Awesome testimony!!

Cicero said:

Family, Big difference!

It has been said before on this forum and is worth repeating. "We enjoy going to church since we left WHBC" is a very common statement of those that have left.