Lifting Hands in Church

Wisdoms Friend

Elect
Reaction score
Just curious about your thoughts on lifting hands in church, that is, specifically the raising of hands during singing.

Nehemiah 8:6 mentions lifting of the hands as the people blessed the Lord and worshiped the Lord with their faces on the ground.

1 Timothy 2:8 refers to lifting holy (that is, pure and clean) hands to the Lord in prayer.

Apart from these two references, neither of which have anything to do with singing, is there a biblical basis for raising hands when singing?

Ps 28:2, 63:4, 134:2, 141:2

Psalm 28:2 refers to lifting hands in prayer

Psalm 63:4 is not a reference to singing.  While blessing the Lord can include singing, the passage is not about singing

Psalm 134:2 again, not a reference to singing, it is a reference to blessing the Lord in the sanctuary

Psalm 141:2 lifting hands while worshiping at the evening sacrifice.  Not a reference to singing.

Wisdoms Friend said:
Psalm 28:2 refers to lifting hands in prayer

Psalm 63:4 is not a reference to singing.  While blessing the Lord can include singing, the passage is not about singing

Psalm 134:2 again, not a reference to singing, it is a reference to blessing the Lord in the sanctuary

Psalm 141:2 lifting hands while worshiping at the evening sacrifice.  Not a reference to singing.

If you had told me you just wanted to support your per-concieved biases, it would have saved me the trouble of replying the first time.  :)

Izdaari said:
It was often done at my AoG church. At my Episcopal church, not so much.

You know how those Anglicans Episcopalians are.

;)

What difference does it make if it is done while singing or not ...the Bible says to do it.

The physical act of lifting hands is not what is important. It is the spirit or heart of the person that is.
What if someone has only one hand or no hands or even one/no arms? There is no one specific way to pray or worship in the Bible. In the Bible you see people bowing their heads and people like the repentant publican looking up to heaven - Jesus also did this.

Wisdoms Friend said:
Just curious about your thoughts on lifting hands in church, that is, specifically the raising of hands during singing.

Nehemiah 8:6 mentions lifting of the hands as the people blessed the Lord and worshiped the Lord with their faces on the ground.

1 Timothy 2:8 refers to lifting holy (that is, pure and clean) hands to the Lord in prayer.

Apart from these two references, neither of which have anything to do with singing, is there a biblical basis for raising hands when singing?

Is there is biblical basis for NOT raising your hands when singing? If not that what is your problem with others that do?

BTW I don't raise my hands while singing but when others so it doesn't offend me or affect me so I say let em have at it.

Raising hands or not raising hands is all perfectly fine with me. I offered no opinion on it one way or the other.

Back in my charismatic days, I'd raise my hands in church quite often, most times high over my head. Still raise my hands in the church my wife and I attend nowadays, but usually they go no higher than my shoulders. Not sure why the change, but it feels more right, if that makes any sense.

rsc2a said:
If you had told me you just wanted to support your per-concieved biases, it would have saved me the trouble of replying the first time.  :)

I have no pre-conceived bias, I asked a specific question and took time to look up your suggested references.

The question is valid, because it is a point of controversy in many churches.  The question is raised because recently I was challenged that it is something Christians ought to do.  It's a sincere question, and I took your suggestions of the offered references serious enough to look them up and look at their context.

Wisdoms Friend said:
rsc2a said:

I have no pre-conceived bias, I asked a specific question and took time to look up your suggested references.

The question is valid, because it is a point of controversy in many churches.  The question is raised because recently I was challenged that it is something Christians ought to do.  It's a sincere question, and I took your suggestions of the offered references serious enough to look them up and look at their context.

Ok then...

[quote author=Wisdoms Friend]Psalm 28:2 refers to lifting hands in prayer[/quote]

Prayers can be in the form of song. (See the Psalms.)

[quote author=Wisdoms Friend]Psalm 63:4 is not a reference to singing.  While blessing the Lord can include singing, the passage is not about singing[/quote]

You'd just said "blessing the Lord can include singing". Without additional reasoning, there is no justification in specifically excluding singing.

I also think you'll have trouble with this practice once you start looking up definitions for "bless", specifically in regards to the blessing the Divine.

[quote author=Wisdoms Friend]Psalm 134:2 again, not a reference to singing, it is a reference to blessing the Lord in the sanctuary[/quote]

See above. Also singing was a regular part of the worship service at the temple.

[quote author=Wisdoms Friend]Psalm 141:2 lifting hands while worshiping at the evening sacrifice.  Not a reference to singing.[/quote]

Isa 1:10-15, Amos 5:21-24, Romans 12:1, Eph 5:19-21

I think the idea of worship, sacrifice, and singing being completely separate acts with no overlap is erroneous. (Also, see above where singing was an integral part of temple worship. You could also look at Passover, the festivals, and other places where singing was also part of the worship.)

Through [Jesus] then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name. - Hebrews 13:15 (See also Ps 50.)

For anyone that would tell me that lifting hands during song is something we ought do, I would ask them on what grounds they are making that claim. If they point to Scripture....

Anyone that would use passages like the 1 Timothy passage as their proof-text basis either way (i.e highly (hyper?) regulative worship principles), I would ask them a ton of questions:

- Do your women wear head coverings?
- Do the men raise their hands during every prayer?
- Do you dance before the Lord?
- Do you sing anything but the Psalms?
- Do you recognize the Christmas holiday at your services?
- Do you use wine when taking communion? How about unleaven bread from one loaf?
- Do you use musical instruments? PA system? Electricity?

In other words, I would ask them to be consistent in their legalism beliefs.

Lifting hands is of the devil.  I superglued my hands to my cheeks, so I won't give in to temptation.  The only problem with that is that I look like a really old Macaulay Culkin.