Local Arminian Loses Salvation In High-Stakes Poker Game

bgwilkinson

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Just like an Armininian.

http://babylonbee.com/news/local-arminian-loses-salvation-high-stakes-poker-game/

OAK RIDGE, TN?Lifelong Arminian Eric Smith tragically lost his salvation Saturday in a high-stakes game of Texas Hold ?Em, sources confirmed. Citing a lack of cash as well as a ?lucky feeling? after a streak of poor and costly hands, Smith drew upon, and subsequently lost, his one possession of infinite worth: eternal forgiveness bought by the shed blood of the Son of God.

arminian-poker-696x394.png

Yep.  Well, except for the fact that Arminians don't believe it's possible to "lose" salvation.  But aside from the fact that the whole premise of the spoof is fallacious, quite the hilarious bit of satire.

NorrinRadd said:
Yep.  Well, except for the fact that Arminians don't believe it's possible to "lose" salvation.

In fact, in the fifth Article of Remonstrance of 1610, the Arminians left it an open question whether it was possible to fall from grace, meaning that evidently some do believe it possible. I assume it was the fact they raised the question, that impelled the Synod of Dort to respond explicitly by affirming the doctrine of the perseverence of the saints, which assures the saints will show the fruit of the Spirit.

If I could lose salvation, I would lose salvation.

bgwilkinson said:
I second that motion.

earnestly contend

Ransom said:
NorrinRadd said:
Yep.  Well, except for the fact that Arminians don't believe it's possible to "lose" salvation.

In fact, in the fifth Article of Remonstrance of 1610, the Arminians left it an open question whether it was possible to fall from grace, meaning that evidently some do believe it possible. I assume it was the fact they raised the question, that impelled the Synod of Dort to respond explicitly by affirming the doctrine of the perseverence of the saints, which assures the saints will show the fruit of the Spirit.

Right, but even the subsequent generations of Arminians that do believe in the possibility of apostasy do not believe salvation can be "lost."  Well, "Classical" ones at least; Wesleyan beliefs could more easily be interpreted as believing salvation can be "lost," IMO.

bgwilkinson said:

Amen; and long ago in my case.