Long overlooked, Oregon's Swastika Mountain may have a new name soon

I disagree. This is just more cancel culture at play. The name of the mountain was pre-Hitler and completely innocent and unrelated. Additionally, it appears that 99.99% of Oregonians were unaware the non-accessible mountain even existed.

I disagree. This is just more cancel culture at play. The name of the mountain was pre-Hitler and completely innocent and unrelated. Additionally, it appears that 99.99% of Oregonians were unaware the non-accessible mountain even existed.
In and of itself, the word "Swastika" isn't a bad thing. Society has let the "Hitler years" destroy something that was good...just as Christians have let the left steal the words, "gay," and turn the rainbow into their symbol for queers. We should be canceling their ability to cancel our language and our symbols....especially religious ones given by God.

There's a village named Swastika in northern Ontario (near Kirkland Lake). The name was changed temporarily during World War II, but after the war, they changed it back, saying they had it first.

Coincidentally, a British socialite, Unity MItford, whose family owned a local gold mine, was conceived in Swastika, and in her adult life she was pro-fascist and actually a friend of HItler's.

Yeah, the government wanted to change the name of Swastika, Ontario to Winston, after Churchill, but the locals rejected the change. However, in 1916, while Canada was at war with Germany, the people of Berlin, Ontario voted (by a slim margin) to change the name to Kitchener, after British Field Marshall Lord Kitchener who was killed in action earlier that year.

Also, there was a Mount Stalin in northern British Columbia, but the name was changed to Mount Peck in 1987, after protests by Ukrainians. Now there's an example of "cancel culture" that I can heartily endorse.

I believe in leaving history as history, including confederate memorials. Use what’s in existence as a teaching tool and put it in proper historical context. I grew up in the South and never saw a single person bowing before a statue of Robert E Lee. That being said, I’m also fine with relocating these markers to a cemetery or museum or whatever, but under NO circumstances will I ever support the mob of people vandalizing and destroying these items.

I agree. This whole cancel culture makes me sick. I agree that horrible things were done to Blacks in the south under slavery, Jim Crow, etc. And I have many black friends who have experienced being called N***er or arrested for no reason, or even pulled over for no reason other than being black. But to tear down monuments, thinking that this is going to somehow make those wrongs better? I believe that individuals need to be held accountable. But the tearing down of monuments is just to make these touchy feely millennial liberal limp-wristed sissies feel like they are helping the cause of minorities. I say, make a friend of a back man or woman, get to know them.
I hope you meant a black man or woman and not a "back" man or woman! LOL My wife and I have several black friends, and I even have a few black relatives, including my great-niece in N. Augusta, SC. Cancel culture has gotten way out of hand and will continue to get worse because so many people are being like the followers of Jim Jones, and are willingly "drinking the Kool-Aid" of the liberal left.

There's a village named Swastika in northern Ontario (near Kirkland Lake).

And let's not forget the Windsor Swastikas, from the birthplace of hockey...

Windsor_Swastikas_hockey_team_Dark_Outfits_1910.jpg

Or the Edmonton, Alberta ladies ice hockey team, 1916. (Not intended as a defense of the use of the swastika today. My Jewish lady friend would not approve, and neither do I).
canada-Icehockey-team