Looks like the media is in a conundrum now

Smellin Coffee said:
This tragedy didn't happen because the shooter was Muslim, it happened because the victims were gay. Also because the shooter had an assault rifle.

I am for people owning guns but not assault rifles.

Orlando: AR-15
Aurora: AR-15
Sandy Hook: AR-15
San Bernardino: AR-15
Umpqua Community College: AR-15

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

If someone would ban that evil AR-15 no one would ever be shot again.

Recovering IFB said:
Smellin Coffee said:
This tragedy didn't happen because the shooter was Muslim, it happened because the victims were gay.

A good read
https://www.thereligionofpeace.com/pages/quran/homosexuality.aspx

I don't agree with SC that it happen because the victims were gay or that the shooter was Muslim. A very sick person decided that he could go down in a blaze of glory. Very similar to the church shooting in Charleston or the OKC bombing or Columbine or Sandy Hook. The people change and the causes change but the root problem is the person. Disenfranchised people with serious problems.

As for your article...really. A paper printed for the sole purpose of exposing Islam. One could take passages from the OT and build a similar case. It is no more fair to say radical Muslims represent all Muslims that Westboro Baptist represented all believers or even Baptist.

Route_70 said:
4everfsu said:
What you are saying you are against people owning semiautomatic rifles.  An AR 15 is a semiautomatic rifle.

SC can speak for himself.  I cannot see why an ordinary citizen should own a gun, which is clearly designed for killing other human beings.
I'm sure this isn't the only area in which you flounder.

earnestly contend

qwerty said:
bgwilkinson said:
qwerty said:
Smellin Coffee said:
This tragedy didn't happen because the shooter was Muslim, it happened because the victims were gay. Also because the shooter had an assault rifle.

Definitely someone has their head in the sand.  If you close your eyes hard enough, the boogie man will not get you.

ARs are not capable of full auto.

An assault rifle is a fully automatic selective-fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.

ARs are not selective fire capable, they fire once for each trigger squeeze.

They are not assault rifles.
They do not know the history of their party, what their roots are, and what they have stood for.  Democrats filibustered the 19th amendment, then when it finally came to a vote 91% of Republicans in the house voted for the amendment, 59% of Democrats voted yes. In Congress, 100% of Republicans voted yes, 23% of Democrats voted yes.

Every Republican voted yes for the 13th amendment, only 14 Democrats voted yes, 50 voted no.

Not a single Democrat voted for the 14th amendment in the House or Senate.

Not a single Democrat voted for the 15th amendment in the Senate.

For the party of rights, their actions speak volumes in opposition. More "do as I say, not as I do". They are the epitome of hypocrisy.

Right and you seem to forget what happened to the DNC and RNC in 1968.

For those confused about AR-15 type weapons here's a nice article
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/06/12/ar-15-users-guide-ignorant-media-pundits/

assault-weapons-getty-640x480.jpg

Smellin Coffee said:

The AR-15 is not an assault rifle, since it is not capable of fully automatic fire. Automatic weapons are illegal for civilians.

By the way, AR-15, the AR does not stand for assualt rifle fools. The AR stands for the company that first manufactured it. See Below

The AR-15 was first built in 1959 by ArmaLite as a small arms rifle for the United States armed forces. AR = Armalite Rifle

qwerty said:
Paris has bans against similar weapons and it has worked well for them. People who break laws by killing someone would have no issue breaking laws by the possession of something illegal.

Hm. I assume you mean, "has not worked well for them"? The terrorists who shot up Paris last November supposedly used AK-103 assault rifles. Which, being automatic, are illegal for civilians in France. As you say, a criminal isn't going to balk at breaking a gun law if he's conspiring to break a greater law (e.g. commit mass murder).

Ransom said:
Smellin Coffee said:

The AR-15 is not an assault rifle, since it is not capable of fully automatic fire. Automatic weapons are illegal for civilians.

But, but, but the lame stream media, the President, celebrity know-it-alls and all of the left leaning politicians keep telling us that the AR-15 IS an assault rifle. With all of them saying it, it MUST be true. Our leaders, the press and most beloved celebrities would never lie to us. Never!!

Smellin Coffee said:
This tragedy didn't happen because the shooter was Muslim, it happened because the victims were gay.

"Mateen called 911 during the attack to pledge allegiance to ISIS and mentioned the Boston Marathon bombers, according to a U.S. official." [Source]

HeDied4U said:
But, but, but the lame stream media, the President, celebrity know-it-alls and all of the left leaning politicians keep telling us that the AR-15 IS an assault rifle.

journalist-firearms-570x475.jpg

Route_70 said:
bgwilkinson said:
They will blame evil guns.

Some guns are designed strictly for the purpose of killing people.

The Bible says, "Thou shalt not kill."

Really? Do they come with a "do not shoot at paper targets" label?

Smellin Coffee said:

So what makes it an "assault rifle"?

Route_70 said:
4everfsu said:
What you are saying you are against people owning semiautomatic rifles.  An AR 15 is a semiautomatic rifle.

SC can speak for himself.  I cannot see why an ordinary citizen should own a gun, which is clearly designed for killing other human beings.

Sad to say, there will be times when it is necessary to kill another person. That is not why I own firearms but any of them would do the job if I found myself in such a situation.

THE LAST GUN-MURDER massacre in Australia happened in April 1996.

<snip>

What happened next was astounding. The senior leaders of both major political parties, at both the federal and state levels, faced down opponents and enacted far-reaching and effective new gun laws.

What came to be called the National Firearms Agreement banned the importation, sale, and possession of all automatic and semi-automatic rifles and shotguns (most handguns were already illegal) and enacted a compulsory gun buy-back scheme.

The new agreement for gun ownership allowed guns to the military, police, and those employed to shoot feral animals. The new federal laws were enacted unilaterally across state rights. Controversially in light of Second Amendment rights in the U.S., the act specifically stated ?that personal protection not be regarded as a genuine reason for owning, possessing, or using a firearm.? However, genuine reasons included ?sporting shooters? with valid club memberships, hunters with proof of permission, and ?bona fide collectors of lawful firearms.?

The new gun laws were passed quickly, accompanied by an amnesty for any unlicensed firearms.

<snip>

Somehow, without political coercion or public commentary, Australians decided that gun ownership should become marginal, not mainstream. The legislation merely reflected the national mood: Only soldiers, cops, and farmers needed to own guns. The mythos of the historical outlaw-hero, like bushranger Ned Kelly, remained. However, like Kelly, gun ownership was now part of Australia?s past, not our future.

<snip>

Since my wife and I returned to Australia in 1998, I have worked as an Anglican priest in Sydney?s inner-city neighborhoods. Alternatives to violence, I?ve learned, are often more popular with street-involved people than with my educated, middle-class peers. From the streets I?ve gained perspective about the justice of Jesus Christ: a justice that reconciles, a justice that renounces retaliation, a justice with repentance, and a justice with repair.

The Port Arthur massacre changed Australia. My teenage children are spared the horrific gun violence experienced in the U.S. ?I feel free because we are not always in lockdown, worried about people coming into the school,? Nick, age 14, told me. Anna, age 12, said the freedom to go unafraid to the local park with friends was an important difference between growing up in Australia vs. the U.S.

In Australia, we will continue to pray for you in America: for courageous politics, for a ?national moment,? for Americans to decide that gun ownership should be marginal, not mainstream.

Guns N' Aussies: How Australians decided that gun ownership should become marginal, not mainstream.

Smellin Coffee said:
THE LAST GUN-MURDER massacre in Australia happened in April 1996.

<snip>

What happened next was astounding. The senior leaders of both major political parties, at both the federal and state levels, faced down opponents and enacted far-reaching and effective new gun laws.

What came to be called the National Firearms Agreement banned the importation, sale, and possession of all automatic and semi-automatic rifles and shotguns (most handguns were already illegal) and enacted a compulsory gun buy-back scheme.

The new agreement for gun ownership allowed guns to the military, police, and those employed to shoot feral animals. The new federal laws were enacted unilaterally across state rights. Controversially in light of Second Amendment rights in the U.S., the act specifically stated ?that personal protection not be regarded as a genuine reason for owning, possessing, or using a firearm.? However, genuine reasons included ?sporting shooters? with valid club memberships, hunters with proof of permission, and ?bona fide collectors of lawful firearms.?

The new gun laws were passed quickly, accompanied by an amnesty for any unlicensed firearms.

<snip>

Somehow, without political coercion or public commentary, Australians decided that gun ownership should become marginal, not mainstream. The legislation merely reflected the national mood: Only soldiers, cops, and farmers needed to own guns. The mythos of the historical outlaw-hero, like bushranger Ned Kelly, remained. However, like Kelly, gun ownership was now part of Australia?s past, not our future.

<snip>

Since my wife and I returned to Australia in 1998, I have worked as an Anglican priest in Sydney?s inner-city neighborhoods. Alternatives to violence, I?ve learned, are often more popular with street-involved people than with my educated, middle-class peers. From the streets I?ve gained perspective about the justice of Jesus Christ: a justice that reconciles, a justice that renounces retaliation, a justice with repentance, and a justice with repair.

The Port Arthur massacre changed Australia. My teenage children are spared the horrific gun violence experienced in the U.S. ?I feel free because we are not always in lockdown, worried about people coming into the school,? Nick, age 14, told me. Anna, age 12, said the freedom to go unafraid to the local park with friends was an important difference between growing up in Australia vs. the U.S.

In Australia, we will continue to pray for you in America: for courageous politics, for a ?national moment,? for Americans to decide that gun ownership should be marginal, not mainstream.

Guns N' Aussies: How Australians decided that gun ownership should become marginal, not mainstream.

So you are promoting a total ban on the private ownership of firearms. Nice.

Smellin Coffee said:

Or maybe it was because he was Muslim, he happened to shoot victims that were gay.

TheRealJonStewart said:
Or maybe it was because he was Muslim, he happened to shoot victims that were gay.

Or maybe it was because he was a Muslim who sympathized with a radical Islamic front that likes to murder gays, so he happened to target a nightclub full of 'em.

Smellin Coffee said:

Really?  I would have said it was both; if the shooter weren't Muslim, he wouldn't have been taught/indoctrinated/believed that violence is acceptable against unbelievers.... and if the victims were not homosexual, they wouldn't be at that bar, and he wouldn't have had a target.