Lord's Supper Elements

Smellin Coffee

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
The church I attend offers gluten-free bread if so desired. But then, the Supper is distributed through stations as an intinction and there is one station designated for that purpose.

It has been debated before on these forums as to whether the juice should be alcoholic or not. (Ours isn't as we have many recovering alcoholics from our AA program, so we don't want there to be temptation.)

Any other churches out there that offer gluten-free bread?

My church keeps a plate of gluten-free wafers at one of the communion stations at the back. Since I don't need them, I don't know what the practice is for communicants who can't eat wheat. I assume they know where they are and can go get them.

As I said in another thread, for communion we use whole-grain, gluten-free, organic bread made from wheat we grow in our own hydroponic garden.  We break it into servings the size of a sesame seed so as to avoid tempting people who have problems with gluttony.  We use a highly accurate timer to make sure everyone eats it at EXACTLY the same moment, so no one eats before any other person. 

Smellin Coffee said:
The church I attend offers gluten-free bread if so desired. But then, the Supper is distributed through stations as an intinction and there is one station designated for that purpose.

It has been debated before on these forums as to whether the juice should be alcoholic or not. (Ours isn't as we have many recovering alcoholics from our AA program, so we don't want there to be temptation.)

Any other churches out there that offer gluten-free bread?

Sip it, don't dip it??

Hasn't science pretty much called the whole gluten-free stuff a sham..except for a very small group of people with a very specific medical problem.

Billy

BTW: we use these nasty little Styrofoam looking wafer..and grape voice.  In our contemporary service they use break and a goblet...I don't take communion in that service...backwash!!!

Billy

Billy said:
Hasn't science pretty much called the whole gluten-free stuff a sham..except for a very small group of people with a very specific medical problem.

About 1 in 10,000 people have Celiac disease, which doesn't seem like much until you are in a large church of a few thousand people, where running into one of them becomes almost inevitable.

... and there are many who are intolerant to wheat (without being full-blown celiac).

Eggs, dairy, wheat... all kinds of serious allergens out there. Even wine has gluten in it. Today, there are plenty of options a conscientious church can do to accommodate.

The wheat of today is not like ancient wheat... Wheat, today, has been grown to have higher gluten. That is why the sensitivities have increased.

FSSL said:
... and there are many who are intolerant to wheat (without being full-blown celiac).

Eggs, dairy, wheat... all kinds of serious allergens out there. Even wine has gluten in it. Today, there are plenty of options a conscientious church can do to accommodate.

The wheat of today is not like ancient wheat... Wheat, today, has been grown to have higher gluten. That is why the sensitivities have increased.

Just stick to whiskey, you'll be ok........

Billy said:

Billy

Yes.  And pretty much the only problems it causes for sensitive people are stomach problems like gas. 

There's a gluten-free aisle in my local grocery stores for those people.  In contrast, about the same percentage of the population that is gluten-sensitive has peanut/nut allergies, and those people can actually die from an allergic reaction.  But I don't see any "peanut-free" aisles in grocery stores. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
Billy said:

Billy

Yes.  And pretty much the only problems it causes for sensitive people are stomach problems like gas. 

There's a gluten-free aisle in my local grocery stores for those people.  In contrast, about the same percentage of the population that is gluten-sensitive has peanut/nut allergies, and those people can actually die from an allergic reaction.  But I don't see any "peanut-free" aisles in grocery stores.

As a father of a child who has been in the ER several times due to peanut allergy, I am with you. The reason for the gluten-free aisle has to do with marketing, specifically for those looking for weight loss and use a gluten-free diet. Peanut sufferers have to do all the label reading...

The Rogue Tomato said:

... diarrhea, a build up of a solid mash that will result in asphyxiation unless the patient is helped, malnutrition, severe headaches and rashes... symptoms lasting more a couple of weeks... cancer down the road.

So much for the opinion of someone who doesn't live with gluten intolerance.

There are various reactions in the same person, among different sensitivity levels and certainly among thorough-going celiacs.

Anyone else on this forum really live with this?

I'm lactose-intolerant, you don't want to be around when I have a milkshake. Especially from Oberweiss, they are the best, but I pay for it later. ?