Love Ya, JD!

He’s a fascinating profile in the everyman, especially loved his Grip it and Rip it attitude, but he’s gonna die too young if he keeps living that way.

He’s a fascinating profile in the everyman, especially loved his Grip it and Rip it attitude, but he’s gonna die too young if he keeps living that way.
Ok... One thing that impressed me... Someone who looks like that is younger than me. By almost two years.

Just read his bio... What a worldly mess. 5 marriages, the longest lasting 7 years. Alcoholism which he seems to have overcome (good on him) Gambling addiction... JD needs JC.

It seems he's a generous person which is nice but his personal relationships and health issues... I don't envy him.

Last edited:
Ok... One thing that impressed me... Someone who looks like that is younger than me. By almost two years.

Just read his bio... What a worldly mess. 5 marriages, the longest lasting 7 years. Alcoholism which he seems to have overcome (good on him) Gambling addiction... JD needs JC.

It seems he's a generous person which is nice but his personal relationships and health issues... I don't envy him.
Even if you’re not a golfer, I’m surprised you didn’t really know anything about Daly. He’s a minor cultural icon figure from the 90s. He’s lived a rough & rowdy lifestyle, but unlike the vast majority of successful golfers, he grew up in a poor and dysfunctional family. That’s why people relate to him, he’s a blue collar guy in a white collar game. He’s also got a very laid back personality and people relate to that.

He has said many times that he never thought he’d make it to 50 years old, but he did. I had the opportunity to see him play at a PGA tournament near the tail end of his career. Despite his high score, it was fascinating to see the shots he could hit from areas that others just couldn’t pull off. Tiger Woods famously said that Daly was a more talented golfer than him—it’s too bad Daly struggled with his demons and couldn’t win more. Still, two majors and several other worldwide tournament wins isn’t too shabby. I’d be willing to bet that Davis Love would gladly trade his 20+ PGA titles for an extra major in order to have two instead of one.

He’s the Sinatra of the golf world—“I Did it My Way”, hence the Trump shirt shoving it in the PC crowd’s face (for good or bad).

Even if you’re not a golfer, I’m surprised you didn’t really know anything about Daly. He’s a minor cultural icon figure from the 90s. He’s lived a rough & rowdy lifestyle, but unlike the vast majority of successful golfers, he grew up in a poor and dysfunctional family. That’s why people relate to him, he’s a blue collar guy in a white collar game. He’s also got a very laid back personality and people relate to that.
I've definitely picked up on what you said. I totally get that relatable personality thing. I suppose he's one of many boats I've missed. I may have heard of him but it never registered with me. I'm just not that much into "cultural icons".

I'd much rather see him in the spotlight than the other sports "cultural icons" that are out there. Still, what he represents in his worldliness is not what I care to follow.

He’s the Sinatra of the golf world—“I Did it My Way”, hence the Trump shirt shoving it in the PC crowd’s face (for good or bad).
I kind of think of Bill Clinton as the John Daly of presidents lol. Even people who despised Clinton’s policies and behavior had a difficult time really, truly hating the guy. Some people just have a charisma to them that makes it difficult to despise. (Now that I’ve said that, I’m blowing the dog whistle to invite everyone on here to tell me how I’m dead wrong!) 😬

Well put. The whole Sinatra "My Way" thing has always been very distasteful to me. That is a position I picked up early in my foray in IFB and that has stuck with me to this day.

That’s because you’re not a golfer, not because you’re holy.
I'll never claim to be holy. I suggest you remember that. There are, however, positions I gravitate to which I can only claim are a matter of my tastes. Whether they align with holiness or not is God's call, not yours or mine.

IF I accidentally take on a "holy" position, that's just as well. I have a bunch of other unholy things in my life I need to address.

I'll never claim to be holy. I suggest you remember that. There are, however, positions I gravitate to which I can only claim are a matter of my tastes. Whether they align with holiness or not is God's call, not yours or mine.

IF I accidentally take on a "holy" position, that's just as well. I have a bunch of other unholy things in my life I need to address.
I understand that you didn’t claim to be holy, it just comes off like that. I’ve seen people on here (you?) prattle on like an encyclopedia when it comes to some of the old rock bands. I wonder how their lives would compare with Daly’s? Daly hasn’t been a drinker in years, but yes, he’s admitted to being a former alcoholic. (Are you a former drinker?) Daly’s been married/divorced. (You?)

You see, my point is Daly isn’t much different than others, including folks on this forum, and comparatively speaking, I bet he’s led a squeaky clean life compared to some of the 70s and 80s rockers people know all about on here.

I kind of think of Bill Clinton as the John Daly of presidents lol. Even people who despised Clinton’s policies and behavior had a difficult time really, truly hating the guy. Some people just have a charisma to them that makes it difficult to despise. (Now that I’ve said that, I’m blowing the dog whistle to invite everyone on here to tell me how I’m dead wrong!) 😬
Ok, so this conversation needs transferred to the other thread then😉

I understand that you didn’t claim to be holy, it just comes off like that. I’ve seen people on here (you?) prattle on like an encyclopedia when it comes to some of the old rock bands. I wonder how their lives would compare with Daly’s? Daly hasn’t been a drinker in years, but yes, he’s admitted to being a former alcoholic. (Are you a former drinker?) Daly’s been married/divorced. (You?)

You see, my point is Daly isn’t much different than others, including folks on this forum, and comparatively speaking, I bet he’s led a squeaky clean life compared to some of the 70s and 80s rockers people know all about on here.

Everybody’s boundary for “separation” looks different. I draw mine at SEC/ACC fans.😘

😉

I definitely draw mine at Dallas Cowgirl fans.

I was a hapless Bungles fan as a small kid so I started rooting for America’s Team for awhile to fill the void, but thankfully my three older brothers beat that out of me.😁 (Still a Bungles fan, but now we can be called the Bengals once more)

Everybody’s boundary for “separation” looks different. I draw mine at SEC/ACC fans.😘

😉
I’m an ACC guy, but an SEC guy at heart. Other than Clemson, the ACC just doesn’t send a tickle up my leg.

I was a hapless Bungles fan as a small kid so I started rooting for America’s Team for awhile to fill the void, but thankfully my three older brothers beat that out of me.😁 (Still a Bungles fan, but now we can be called the Bengals once more)
I’ve always liked the underdog Bengals. Being a lifelong Bucs fan (I never switched allegiances to the Panthers), I can identify with the Bengals.