Low Income Students Now a Majority

Well, duh.  I qualified as low-income for 3 years because it was so hard to find work, thanks to liberal economic policies.  I didn't take advantage of the low-income school lunches, though, because I packed lunches for my kids.

The Rogue Tomato said:
Well, duh.  I qualified as low-income for 3 years because it was so hard to find work, thanks to liberal economic policies.  I didn't take advantage of the low-income school lunches, though, because I packed lunches for my kids.

The church I've been attending actually has a ministry that daily packs lunches for the underprivileged kids at a local elementary school so no kid has to go without lunch. :)

Smellin Coffee said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

The church I've been attending actually has a ministry that daily packs lunches for the underprivileged kids at a local elementary school so no kid has to go without lunch. :)

I would think the national school lunch program would cover the lunch of most low income students.

Sounds like a good cause but if the govenrment is already footing the bill why does your church need to do it.

Here is how the slippery slope works.

Every year move the "poverty line" up at a rate faster than the economy grows. This basically redefines a non-poor person into a poor person. Then you let all those newly "poor" people that they are eligible for government aid to help them in their new found poorness. Most apply because "that's what it is there for". Wait a year or so and they become expectant and reliant on that "help".

Bam! Newly minted government dependents.

Funny thing is, a lot of church folk will send their people to apply for the help while complaining about all the government waste they (because  Rush tells them to) hate.

subllibrm

Every year move the "poverty line" up at a rate faster than the economy grows. This basically redefines a non-poor person into a poor person. Then you let all those newly "poor" people that they are eligible for government aid to help them in their new found poorness. Most apply because "that's what it is there for". Wait a year or so and they become expectant and reliant on that "help".

Funny thing is, a lot of church folk will send their people to apply for the help while complaining about all the government waste they (because  Rush tells them to) hate.

subllibrm
Irony! You are my muse!

Irony or schizophrenia... :D

subllibrm said:

Beginning next week (when school is out)our congregation provides lunch each day at the local housing project where we have an ongoing ministry. Rush told us to do it.... ;)

Smellin Coffee said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

That's wonderful. The food served in the cafeterias around here is not real food, it's processed chemicals.
TB's church has a wonderful food ministry too

For years we were pressured to apply for the Free/Reduced Lunch program for our kids, which we didn't do.  A couple of years ago, we discovered that the school enrolled us without our knowledge, and it was nearly impossible to be taken off the list.

This past year, the school automatically enrolled 100% of the school into the Free Breakfast and Free Lunch program without any type of individual application or income verification requirements, claiming that the entire boundaries of the school fell within the Federal Poverty Level for overall income.

Administrators are constantly amazed when they learn we pay for our own health insurance,  buy our own groceries,  pack my kids' lunches and pay for our own cell phones.  They are quick to inform us that we can get these items paid for simply by taking advantage of the free benefits available for us.

An entire generation dependent on the government for their every need.  Very sad.

We need to remember that qualifying for welfare and utilizing it is not sin. Nor does it break Gods law whatsoever
Those Programs were set up for just those situations. All should feel free to use it for the purpose it was intended for, for as long as it's needed. Especially Christians, you can use it to store up food for those who may not survive the tribulation. Or to help pay your rent. Whatever, until you get on your feet. Sometimes physical or mental issues (depression) gets people down so it's nice to have this as a back up. This is not sin, so it shouldn't be looked down upon as such

It's not like a Pastor who makes his actual living deceiving Gods people into donating their hard earned money to sustain his livelihood- pay his energy and water bills, pay for his house and car, food, clothing etc.. and he may have even got his wife knocked up expecting a handout to support them too. Some even have the kahoonas to think they deserve a lifestyle equal to the WORKING Middle class in their towns. This is sin and should be looked down upon as such.

Wisdoms Friend said:
For years we were pressured to apply for the Free/Reduced Lunch program for our kids, which we didn't do.  A couple of years ago, we discovered that the school enrolled us without our knowledge, and it was nearly impossible to be taken off the list.
You do realize that public school in itself, is a form of welfare right?
This past year, the school automatically enrolled 100% of the school into the Free Breakfast and Free Lunch program without any type of individual application or income verification requirements, claiming that the entire boundaries of the school fell within the Federal Poverty Level for overall income.
It's not a requirement that parents utilize this resource  ^^ as you know. Even if they were enrolled without their knowledge.  This seems like a very worthy cause to me, no reason to balk.
Administrators are constantly amazed when they learn we pay for our own health insurance,  buy our own groceries,  pack my kids' lunches and pay for our own cell phones.  They are quick to inform us that we can get these items paid for simply by taking advantage of the free benefits available for us.
Um..is it just me who wonders this ...but a school administrator is a position which is awfully high up. How in the world, as a parent, did you end up discussing your private finances with various school administrators?? and why are they "amazed" you pay for yourself regarding a telephone, food and health insurance? I assume you have the means to do so or otherwise could not afford to fully sustain yourself
I mean you are not ripping off grocery stores or robbing banks, unless you sued a few folks along the way, or had an inheritance or help from family maybe. Some benefit others did not have.
An entire generation dependent on the government for their every need. Very sad.
alright...but yeah, most people are on some sort of welfare. Taking Social Security $ they never completely put in the kitty, their kids are in public school, they are deliberately unhealthy eating crap so using more medicare dollars than they paid into the system, making insurance costs for us healthy folks rise sky high then back biting... saying that people like us need health insurance because we cost them. When the truth is, they are upset because we aren't paying for their obesity, smoking, drinking by paying an arm and a leg for health insurance. Knowing I am healthy, I'd rather risk loosing an arm or a leg. And have the choice to do so.
Yes, we have many welfare programs. And many people are on them, probably at least 1 out of 2 people.

Biker said:
Wisdoms Friend said:
You do realize that public school in itself, is a form of welfare right?
It's not a requirement that parents utilize this resource  ^^ as you know. Even if they were enrolled without their knowledge.  This seems like a very worthy cause to me, no reason to balk.
Um..is it just me who wonders this ...but a school administrator is a position which is awfully high up. How in the world, as a parent, did you end up discussing your private finances with various school administrators?? and why are they "amazed" you pay for yourself regarding a telephone, food and health insurance? I assume you have the means to do so or otherwise could not afford to fully sustain yourself
I mean you are not ripping off grocery stores or robbing banks, unless you sued a few folks along the way, or had an inheritance or help from family maybe. Some benefit others did not have.
An entire generation dependent on the government for their every need. Very sad.
alright...but yeah, most people are on some sort of welfare. Taking Social Security $ they never completely put in the kitty, their kids are in public school, they are deliberately unhealthy eating crap so using more medicare dollars than they paid into the system, making insurance costs for us healthy folks rise sky high then back biting... saying that people like us need health insurance because we cost them. When the truth is, they are upset because we aren't paying for their obesity, smoking, drinking by paying an arm and a leg for health insurance. Knowing I am healthy, I'd rather risk loosing an arm or a leg. And have the choice to do so.
Yes, we have many welfare programs. And many people are on them, probably at least 1 out of 2 people.

* Parents should take on the responsibility of feeding their own children.  That is not the job of the government.

* Because we did not enroll in the programs, they sent home numerous forms encouraging us to enroll, then followed up with phone calls from the administration office at both the local school and the school district.  They receive additional federal funds for every student enrolled in Free/Reduced Lunch Programs, so they were highly motivated to get us involved.  And, yes, I spoke personally to the school principal when she asked why we were not in the program and why I chose not to fill out the forms showing my income. 

* The rules for the Federal Free and Reduced Lunch Programs require income verification.  The school district is essentially defrauding the Federal Government (including you and me) by carte blanche declaring that the entire school automatically qualifies without income verification.

* I have not said nor implied that it is a sin for someone to be on welfare or to accept food stamps.  However, if someone has the ability to work and does not do so, I believe that is wrong-- and for the Christian, it is a violation of Scripture.  My wife and I chose not to accept welfare or food stamps because we believed we needed to live within our means, and we needed to walk by faith - trusting God to provide our needs. 

* 60% of my property tax bill this year went directly to the local public schools.  23% of my state income tax supports public schools.    4% of my federal tax bill goes to public education.    It is no charity to send my kids to public school. 

Wisdoms Friend said:
* Parents should take on the responsibility of feeding their own children. That is not the job of the government.
Hi Wisdom :) Yes, when they can. But when children are hungry, all who work, or have worked, are forced to pay into a kitty. That kitty is specifically set up for situations where needy children can be provided food. And if you qualify, there is no shame to utilize it (except the food in schools is crap. Food stamps is the best welfare program with the least amount of fraud. Less than 5% fraud

* Because we did not enroll in the programs, they sent home numerous forms encouraging us to enroll, then followed up with phone calls from the administration office at both the local school and the school district.  They receive additional federal funds for every student enrolled in Free/Reduced Lunch Programs, so they were highly motivated to get us involved.  And, yes, I spoke personally to the school principal when she asked why we were not in the program and why I chose not to fill out the forms showing my income. 
* The rules for the Federal Free and Reduced Lunch Programs require income verification.  The school district is essentially defrauding the Federal Government (including you and me) by carte blanche declaring that the entire school automatically qualifies without income verification.
Wow, now I totally agree with you ...in not liking this. That's pushy and none of their business.
* I have not said nor implied that it is a sin for someone to be on welfare or to accept food stamps. However, if someone has the ability to work and does not do so, I believe that is wrong-- and for the Christian, it is a violation of Scripture.
Agreed. In order to meet the families basic needs, both working a job -and- accepting welfare is the way to achieve this. In fact, it is the USUAL way to go. Most families on welfare are working and are on food stamps only. So this adheres to scripture just fine. To my knowledge, welfare in and of itself (lets say food stamps + cash aid) versus JUST working a min wage job full time is not equal. You loose by working. Your family could starve if you only work a min wage job and forego food stamps due to pride. Or the kids could be malnourished for a lack of funds to buy real food (whole food, organic). Make a few bucks more than minimum wage and you're often not doing much better. In order to cover a families basic needs, working a job and obtaining a level of food stamps is often the smartest avenue.

We all have a right to healthy food, basic medical care and shelter. And we as a world, have the ability to offer that. But if you asked me today, I would accept BOTH welfare AND WORK part time. Statistics show most people on food stamps work a job. . A minimum wage job or a few bucks above that...doesn't even make the minimal housing costs here in our area of California. Utilities are sky high. And even if so, there'd be no $$ left over for food

I live in the most expensive area of California.
My wife and I chose not to accept welfare or food stamps because we believed we needed to live within our means, and we needed to walk by faith - trusting God to provide our needs.
Again, you speak as if you qualify for all of these things WHILE having the means to pay for your family, how is this so? And God provides via social services programs also, ftr. If you could educate me, I'd love to hear your budget and how you possibly meet your basic needs. I am a major cheapskate myself and would love to adopt some of your practices. IMHO, it just cannot be done here without utilizing benefits the average person doesn't have. $200 cash doesn't go a long way for one person per month, it doesn't even properly feed one person. And it is MUCH LESS $$ the more people you have in a family. Cash aid is only if you are not working AT ALL. And I think it is $200 per month, maybe per person. But I know one person can get $200 cash aid

I live in the most expensive area of California. If I needed welfare, Id have no choice but to accept it because minimum wage just doesn't allow me to "live within my means". I'd need to work just part time to make it feasible for our family of 2. Not full time.
If you are comfortable... which state do you live? And how much does cash welfare pay if you happen to know. I am as cheap as can be about stuff and I am saying...it isn't possible here. My "kids" would be malnourished and/or be out in the cold. $200 a month in cash and $200 a month in food stamps for one person doesn't allow for living within your means, it allows for your belly to be full, a tent, and maybe, paying a local gym once a week for a shower. According to our food stamp calculator, a family of 3 people only gets $500 a month in food stamps. A body needs more than rice and beans to be healthy. Add more family members, and the per person amount is reduced.
* 60% of my property tax bill this year went directly to the local public schools.  23% of my state income tax supports public schools.    4% of my federal tax bill goes to public education.    It is no charity to send my kids to public school.
Agreed. Neither is it charity to accept food stamps or cash welfare. That is also part of our taxes

What is the average SNAP benefit?

In 2013, the average SNAP client received a monthly benefit of $133.07, and the average household received $274.98 monthly.

What are some common misconceptions or myths associated with SNAP?

Stigma associated with the SNAP program has led to several common misconceptions about how the program works and who receives the benefits. For instance, many Americans believe that the majority of SNAP benefits go towards people who could be working. In fact, more than half of SNAP recipients are children or the elderly. For the remaining working-age individuals, many of them are currently employed. At least forty percent of all SNAP beneficiaries live in a household with earnings. In fact, the majority of SNAP households do not receive cash welfare benefits (around 10% receive cash welfare), with increasing numbers of SNAP beneficiaries obtaining their primary source of income from employment.

http://www.snaptohealth.org/snap/snap-frequently-asked-questions/

subllibrm said:
Oh SNAP!!!

LOL! Just Sunday, my brother came over and gave me this T-shirt:

oh_snap_gingerbread_man_very_funny_tshirt-rb6fc5f59c38444f1a08eb6c265efd8c9_vj7b0_324.jpg