LU/TRBC Evangelism Update

bruinboy

Elect
Reaction score
Just received this message from Sheri Falwell, :

Jonathan just told me that over 80 people got SAVED tonight at the service! This could not have happened without the willing hearts of so many who helped and volunteered. God used you to bring more people into the Kingdom!! To HIM be all the PRAISE!!

So those who were concerned about them not giving out the gospel with the free food, shelter and ice, etc. here is some follow up.  So, I guess relational evangelism does work. In my very, very humble opinion, this is the way for the church to serve the community most effectively, not that there are other ways that are just fine. A mule and wagon and a Ferrari are both effective modes of transportation, one is just light years ahead of the other.  But hey, what do I know?    ;) 

bruinboy said:

Jonathan just told me that over 80 people got SAVED tonight at the service! This could not have happened without the willing hearts of so many who helped and volunteered. God used you to bring more people into the Kingdom!! To HIM be all the PRAISE!!

So those who were concerned about them not giving out the gospel with the free food, shelter and ice, etc. here is some follow up.  So, I guess relational evangelism does work. In my very, very humble opinion, this is the way for the church to serve the community most effectively, not that there are other ways that are just fine. A mule and wagon and a Ferrari are both effective modes of transportation, one is just light years ahead of the other.  But hey, what do I know?    ;)
James 2:15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them,

bruinboy said:

In honesty BB, this is not what you first presented.  Your initial presentation was that the compassionate action to a community in crisis (food, shelter, etc.) was equivalent or better than confrontational Gospel. 

Nobody on this forum or in any church in my sphere will ever state that Christians should not act compassionately to those in need, particularly "...the fatherless and widows in their affliction...." That would clearly be un-biblical.  However, not many in that same sphere would ever equate that to the Gospel either. Failure to confront those lost in sin with the hope of the Gospel is the single most uncharitable, unbiblical act that could be imagined, and it is doubly so if mere temporal needs are met at the neglect of the eternal need of salvation in Jesus Christ. 

It seems like Falwell, et. al., recognized this as per the bolded portion which certainly infers some sort of confrontational preaching.  Kudos.  There is no substitute for the Gospel.

IOW, "...these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." Again, kudos for utilizing the opportunity to preach the Gospel.

bruinboy said:

Too Bad Liberty chose  the mule and wagon.

Moral to the story....

if ya don't have a regional/national tragedy to provide a platform and incubator for the gospel it is rendered powerless.

/sarcasm

Anchor said:
bruinboy said:

In honesty BB, this is not what you first presented.  Your initial presentation was that the compassionate action to a community in crisis (food, shelter, etc.) was equivalent or better than confrontational Gospel. 

Nobody on this forum or in any church in my sphere will ever state that Christians should not act compassionately to those in need, particularly "...the fatherless and widows in their affliction...." That would clearly be un-biblical.  However, not many in that same sphere would ever equate that to the Gospel either. Failure to confront those lost in sin with the hope of the Gospel is the single most uncharitable, unbiblical act that could be imagined, and it is doubly so if mere temporal needs are met at the neglect of the eternal need of salvation in Jesus Christ. 

It seems like Falwell, et. al., recognized this as per the bolded portion which certainly infers some sort of confrontational preaching.  Kudos.  There is no substitute for the Gospel.

IOW, "...these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." Again, kudos for utilizing the opportunity to preach the Gospel.

This wasn't some special service only to those the church helped. It was the regularly scheduled mid-week service which no doubt many of those people CHOSE to attend. Should we only choose to help people with care in a crisis if they agree to sit and listen to a sermon....you know, tantamount to "singing for their supper" or do we help them regardless...."unconditionally" as it were?

I believe in this case the church earned the right to be heard as they were one of the first and the largest "cooling centers" in the city when the power went out. They provided medical help and meals.  They are building a good reputation in town for caring about people. As a result the church grows and more people hear the gospel. Makes sense to me.