"Man worship" confession time!

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Ok, we all have at least one story I'm sure.  We became impressed with a preacher, teacher, or perhaps some sports or entertainment celebrity to the point of doing something that would border on "man worship".

It's confession time, Hacker Nation!  Let's hear your stories.

I have a man-crush on John MacArthur. I recently ran a half-marathon, and I listened to JMac sermons the whole race on my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boomer said:
I have a man-crush on John MacArthur. I recently ran a half-marathon, and I listened to JMac sermons the whole race on my iPhone

At least I can't call you a stinkin' Hacker on that one!  :)

Boomer said:

You sound like my eldest brother.

I idolize one of the assistant pastors at church.

I do think it's important to look up to faithful men who follow Christ for inspiration and guidance. Reading good biographies is one way to do that.

I just got a new biography of Detrich Bonhoeffer today!

More than any other man, my dad is the one I look up to the most. His life was the best sermon I ever saw preached.

Never offered man worship to anyone, but I have admired and looked up to several men.

Boomer said:

Would somebody please furnish me some evidence that he believed in salvation by grace through faith...

Not attacking you, Boomer. Just seriously want to know where he stood on that. I read one biography of him and it managed - while discussing the minutia of any number of theological questions - to totally avoid even mentioning that one.

I've never read anything about or by him. I'll have to let you know later.

I've got two other books to finish before I start this one.

Apparently even R. A. Torrey did not have a clear salvation testimony.

I don't know that I actually worshipped any man... but I was strongly influenced by Jack Hyles and HAC-grads into thinking that the pastor = the ruler of the church, and should never be disagreed with, and his every whim should be catered to... this kind of wrongful thinking has been hard to thoroughly purge from my heart, mind, and soul.

Tom Brennan said:
Boomer said:

Would somebody please furnish me some evidence that he believed in salvation by grace through faith...

Not attacking you, Boomer. Just seriously want to know where he stood on that. I read one biography of him and it managed - while discussing the minutia of any number of theological questions - to totally avoid even mentioning that one.

Good question Tom. Just from reading about him I am sure he did believe that but I don't remember reading any specific quotes. The biography I have is written by Eric Mataxas and I am going to go through it again and try and find out. (ugh over 500 pages) I believe he personally wrote a book called "The cost of discipleship" which I want to get. I would think it would be easier to find a definite statement of faith from something like that.

BALAAM said:
Tom Brennan said:
Boomer said:

Good question Tom. Just from reading about him I am sure he did believe that but I don't remember reading any specific quotes. The biography I have is written by Eric Mataxas and I am going to go through it again and try and find out. (ugh over 500 pages) I believe he personally wrote a book called "The cost of discipleship" which I want to get. I would think it would be easier to find a definite statement of faith from something like that.

The Eric Mataxas Biography is the one I just got. I got it in a bundle with The Cost of Discipleship for $20 from Christianbook.com. I'm looking forward to digging into them both after I finish up what I'm reading right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk