Mary, Did You Know?

Its minor key, like in the Coventry Carol, is perfectly suited to a more grave aspect of the subject, and certainly things that Mary had pondered. When one's heart is broken, songs about holly jolly Christmases are maddening. I'm not saying that MDYK is a holly jolly Christmas song. It's not, but I think it's incomplete.

I sat down one day, listening the the Pentatonix cover of this song, and wrote the other half.

Mary did you know that your baby boy would one day be arrested?​
That your baby boy would be brought to trial for truth that He attested?​
Did you know that spikes would pierce His hands? His back would know the scourge?​
Your joy turned into mourning? Your lullaby a dirge?​
Mary did you know that your baby boy would be mocked and despiséd?​
Crowned with thorns and raised, and His bloody form would be unrecognizéd?​
Did you know that your baby boy would stand to be condemned?​
That the friends he loved and cherished would then abandon Him?​
What seed He'd sow
To reap His fate,​
The hatred of the Jews?​
Judgement forego?
Disease abate?
Or preach to men Good News?​
Mary were you told that your baby boy would be a man of sorrow?​
And such sorrow too was reserved for you and many who would follow?​
Herod's sword would on infants fall, on'your Child the sinner's toll?​
Though comfort now He brings you, a sword would pierce your soul?​

I haven't found anyone willing to sing it, though, lol.

[Edited (12/13) to tighten and smooth. (It's been years since I've visited this poem. It is difficult to say what I want to say in the interlude in the number of syllables afforded by the metre of the original.) Edits are in blue]

Last edited:
Its minor key, like in the Coventry Carol, is perfectly suited to a more grave aspect of the subject, and certainly things that Mary had pondered. When one's heart is broken, songs about holly jolly Christmases are maddening. I'm not saying that MDYK is a holly jolly Christmas song. It's not, but I think it's incomplete.

I sat down one day, listening the the Pentatonix cover of this song, and wrote the other half.

Mary did you know that your baby boy would one day be arrested?​
That your baby boy would be put on trial for truth that He attested?​
Did you know that spikes would pierce His flesh? His back would know the scourge?​
Your joy turned into mourning? Your lullaby a dirge?​
Mary did you know that your baby boy would be mocked and despiséd?​
Crowned with thorns and raised, and His bloody form would be unrecognizéd?​
Did you know that your baby boy would stand to be condemned?​
That the friends he loved and cherished would then abandon Him?​
What would He do​
To earn this fate,​
The hatred of the Jews?​
Condemn too few,​
Disease abate,​
And preach to men Good News?​
Mary were you told that your baby boy would be a man of sorrow?​
And such sorrow too was reserved for you and many who would follow?​
Herod's sword would on infants fall, on'your Child the sinner's toll?​
Though comfort now He brings you, a sword would pierce your soul?​

I haven't found anyone willing to sing it, though, lol.
Man! We could create a whole industry doing this to Christmas and even other songs.

The song is basically someone mansplaning the whole story to Mary.

The song is basically someone mansplaning the whole story to Mary.

Well, yeah, but he's really mansplaining it to us. "Mary, did you know?" is a rhetorical question and poetic licence.

(And there are a few things in the lyrics that Mary might not have anticipated. The prophets don't really focus much on the walking on water bit.)

Or, think of it this way. The song doesn't actually say Mary didn't know. Suppose for the sake of argument that the singer is interviewing Mary, or became her friend later in life. She wants to know what Mary knew. And then Mary could tell her.

Last edited:
Well, yeah, but he's really mansplaining it to us. "Mary, did you know?" is a rhetorical question and poetic licence.

(And there are a few things in the lyrics that Mary might not have anticipated. The prophets don't really focus much on the walking on water bit.)

Or, think of it this way. The song doesn't actually say Mary didn't know. Suppose for the sake of argument that the singer is interviewing Mary, or became her friend later in life. She wants to know what Mary knew. And then Mary could tell her.
Aw, man! Where's your signature snark? If there were a post that ever deserved snark, it was Frenkle's 😜

Last edited:
Our worship team is playing Mary Did You Know in today's service. I'm listening to them rehearse right now and the congregation is in for a blessing. This isn't merely a cover of this song but a true rendering of it from their skills and gifting. I'd stand it up to any professionally polished production out of Nashville.

Our worship team is playing Mary Did You Know in today's service. I'm listening to them rehearse right now and the congregation is in for a blessing. This isn't merely a cover of this song but a true rendering of it from their skills and gifting. I'd stand it up to any professionally polished production out of Nashville.

Well, hook a brutha up, post the link!