Matt Olson speaks about Northland's changes

Liberal university! Just kidding.

Thanks for posting. Seems as if NIU has gotten some common sense to go along with their fundamentalism beliefs.

IFB X-Files said:
Standard compromise.  You can justify anything but we all know it's for the $$$$$.

I was there. I understand the IFB perspective. Unfortunately, this is where tradition gets muddled as holding on to something biblical.

What biblical rational would you call ANY of this points a compromise of fundamental Christianity?

FSSL said:
What biblical rational would you call ANY of this points a compromise of fundamental Christianity?

That's a question to ask of those who established the prior positions that have now been thrown out.  It's odd that is was right then and now it's right to change.  When change like this comes (and it always does in institutions like this) it is always DOWN.

IFB X-Files said:
FSSL said:

When change like this comes (and it always does in institutions like this) it is always DOWN.

I have not found this passage in the Bible.

That's a question to ask of those who established the prior positions that have now been thrown out.  It's odd that is was right then and now it's right to change.

Fundamentalism has been filled with all kinds of ideaologies not biblically supported, YET touted as if they are.
Recognizing the difference between what is non-essential and essential often takes changes in leadership/perspective.

FSSL said:
Fundamentalism has been filled with all kinds of ideaologies not biblically supported, YET touted as if they are.
Recognizing the difference between what is non-essential and essential often takes changes in leadership/perspective.

No skin off my nose (easy for me to say - I don't have much of a nose), but what you're saying is that the founders were horribly wrong.  Your comment about not finding a passage in the Bible about this makes zero sense as most of what we do is not found in Scripture, as far as polity / tradition goes.  If you want to follow any example of Scripture, then sell all the property, give the money to missions, then go get trained in a local assembly that meets in a house.

You are reversing the logic.

You would want to RESTRICT what Northland does. They are free to do anything that does not violate Scripture. Certainly, since you view them as compromising some essential, you would have biblical reason for the restriction.

There is no such thing as 'down'.  It is all perception.  If they wanna bring in Christ centered Hookah lounges, who are you to judge?  Just because they turned everything that they claimed to believe on its head?  Doesn't  mean they are headed down.  In fact, they are just headed up, in a new direction.  It's like swimming.
The only person that you should ever judge, is the judgemental judger who's judging others.  Then you are a judge judger, and you're wrong all over again, get it?
Anishinabe

prophet said:
There is no such thing as 'down'.  It is all perception.  If they wanna bring in Christ centered Hookah lounges, who are you to judge?  Just because they turned everything that they claimed to believe on its head?  Doesn't  mean they are headed down.  In fact, they are just headed up, in a new direction.  It's like swimming.
The only person that you should ever judge, is the judgemental judger who's judging others.  Then you are a judge judger, and you're wrong all over again, get it?
Anishinabe

No such thing as down?  Probably the most idiotic statement I've read in awhile.  Ask Jonah how that worked out.  Who am I to judge?  I am commanded to judge righteous judgment.  Go to the Wheaton college campus and see if they're still turning out soldiers for Christ. That's just one example.  Harvard.  Yale.  Yup - it's just "perception"  Down is the new up.  I guess Paul's instruction to separate from the world is all "perception".

[quote author=IFB X-Files]No such thing as down?  Probably the most idiotic statement I've read in awhile.  Ask Jonah how that worked out.  Who am I to judge?  I am commanded to judge righteous judgment.[/quote]

I think prophet was being sarcastic.

Wait...I'm defending prophet!?!  :eek:

[quote author=IFB X-Files]Go to the Wheaton college campus and see if they're still turning out soldiers for Christ. That's just one example.  Harvard.  Yale.  [/quote]

Yes. Yes, they are. Next?

[quote author=IFB X-Files]Yup - it's just "perception"  Down is the new up.  I guess Paul's instruction separate from the world is all "perception".[/quote]

I don't think you and Paul meant the same thing when you say "world" here.

IFB X-Files said:
prophet said:
Anishinabe

No such thing as down?  Probably the most idiotic statement I've read in awhile.  Ask Jonah how that worked out.  Who am I to judge?  I am commanded to judge righteous judgment.  Go to the Wheaton college campus and see if they're still turning out soldiers for Christ. That's just one example.  Harvard.  Yale.  Yup - it's just "perception"  Down is the new up.  I guess Paul's instruction to separate from the world is all "perception".
I think prophet was being sarcastic.
Anishinabe

rsc2a said:
I don't think you and Paul meant the same thing when you say "world" here.

Northland's changes and what the Apostle Paul would have said...

1) Becoming accredited... Paul would ask, "Huh? I sat at the feet of Gamaliel and I even quote poets. Why is it wrong to have education standards?"

2) No longer exclusive KJV... Paul would ask, "What is a KJV?"

3) Dress modestly... Paul would say, "Yes, I said that!"

4) No more demerit system... Paul would say, "Demerits are for weak-kneed fools who are more interested in changing behavior than they are recovering their brother and sister in love."

5) Leaving behind forms of secondary separation... Paul would ask, "Didn't you learn from my example with Peter? He got over it and we became good friends."

6) Accepting modern styles of music: Paul would say, "We enjoyed singing the Psalms and antiquated Jewish tunes, but we thought it would be good to incorporate spiritual songs into our worship. We are mixing it up a bit!"

7) Change name from Baptist: Paul would ask, "What's up with that Jack?! Don't you know?! I already chastised the Corinthians for playing games by creating schisms over names?"