Michigan mom of school shooter convicted of manslaughter

From a one sided article... It seems more like a witch hunt than a pursuit of justice. I'm curious as to why the mother was up on charges when it was the father who bought the gun for the kid.

Parents have long been on the hook for the criminal actions of their kids. Back in the 90s, friends of mine were held to accountability by the court for some vandalism two of their kids committed. They weren't formally charged but the fallout was not pleasant for them. I was a bit miffed over it. When one of the kids complained to his dad, "But you didn't [commit the crime], I did!" To which his dad replied, "You see son, sometimes the consequences of your sins affect those who are innocent..."

You need some context. Actually, the mom knew there was a problem. The administration knew the same. When the kid shot the others, the parents fled to Detroit and hid.

As an aside: my mom watched the helicopters and kids flee the school to the nearby Meijers. She lives within eyesight of the school.

You need some context. Actually, the mom knew there was a problem. The administration knew the same. When the kid shot the others, the parents fled to Detroit and hid.

As an aside: my mom watched the helicopters and kids flee the school to the nearby Meijers. She lives within eyesight of the school.
Thank you for the context. I'm not sure one can get a better grasp of context than when they live right there. Still, I'd like to know why the mom seems to be the only one taking the fall. Are others on the hook for the same thing? If Mom should be on the hook, others should be as well.

Thank you for the context. I'm not sure one can get a better grasp of context than when they live right there. Still, I'd like to know why the mom seems to be the only one taking the fall. Are others on the hook for the same thing? If Mom should be on the hook, others should be as well.
Dad’s trial is pending.

Dad’s trial is pending.
Okay... What about the school administrators who knew there was a problem? I'm sure some kind of civil fallout is pending but should they also be legally on the hook?

*** Answer was posted before I posted this question.

Okay... What about the school administrators who knew there was a problem? I'm sure some kind of civil fallout is pending but should they also be legally on the hook?
This is a tough one. I am going lurk and let others weigh in on this one before I give my full opinion.😁

That morning, School administration sent him home when they found his drawings of shooting up people.

His mom sent him back to the school. Kid took the gun with him. Administration let the kid back in.

That morning, School administration sent him home when they found his drawings of shooting up people.

His mom sent him back to the school. Kid took the gun with him. Administration let the kid back in.
Yet this becomes a problem for law abiding and sensible gun owners everywhere.

You would expect such a lackadaisical approach to this issue 30 years ago. It is amazing it was so overlooked in 2021.

Some opinion pieces giving weight to how this scenario sets a dangerous precedent….

Link

Link

Link

Why should you be any different?
Okay, I’ll tip my hand (directed more at FSSL). What did the parents know beforehand about their child’s likelihood to commit this crime?

I have lots of friends, whose kids go to that school. Not sure I can substantiate through articles. We followed the news and commentary from those friends when this happened.

The parents knew the problems. They knew the gun was missing. The mom knew, as soon as it happened, that is was her son.

IMHO. For the school to let the kid back in was negligent.

IMHO. For the school to let the kid back in was negligent.
At very least.

Several years ago, a kid at a local middle school made some threats in response to some perceived bullying. When confronted, the student confessed she was just trying to get back at another student. She didn't have access to weapons of any sort and wasn't really planning anything. No matter. She was immediately expelled and wasn't allowed anywhere near the campus again.

Last edited:
From the beginning I thought that if the parent’s actions/inaction were criminal, the school staffers who allowed him to return/stay should have been charged as well. The fact that no one searched his belongings is incredible by itself.

What I have not heard is if any civil lawsuits were filed. The school district would seem to have some sort of liability considering the results of the decisions made that day.

From the beginning I thought that if the parent’s actions/inaction were criminal, the school staffers who allowed him to return/stay should have been charged as well. The fact that no one searched his belongings is incredible by itself.

What I have not heard is if any civil lawsuits were filed. The school district would seem to have some sort of liability considering the results of the decisions made that day.
That was one of my very first assessments as well. That will be too politically charge for them to do though.

The parents may be guilty of aiding and abetting or of harboring a fugitive, maybe. But the murderer has been tried and sentenced.

Last edited: