Misrepresentations to Impressionable Students

GeneFrenkle

Elect
Reaction score
There were some statements made during my time at HAC that I have come to resent.  I'm also glad I was around people who point out some realities when I was there.

How about Ray Young?  "I'm at the college at 4am".  Didn't tell you that he was in bed before the sun went down, staff to take care of his tasks, and took naps in his office during the day.  There was always an implication that the less sleep you had the more spiritual you were.  Jesus took naps.

How about Larry Smith?  "I donate my salary back to the college".  No background whatsoever.  Owns a construction business that's making him pretty good money.  Why not state this?  Speaking of him, is he still around?

How about Pete Cowling?  "I took a $XXX,XXX paycut to go from UT to HAC".  Owned trailer parks that gave him a pretty good income.  Side income isn't a bad thing.  Just be honest.

Darrell Moore?  "You think you're busy now, wait until you're in full-time ministry".  Never a more discouraging and FALSE statement in my time there.  I was ready to quit that day.  Ministry has never been even half as busy as I was in college.

I realize these are somewhat petty, but they have always bothered me.  It's not quite lying, but pretty close.  Why set yourself up as something you're not?  Then you have 18-22 year-old students running around trying to replicate your "faith" and failing miserably because they lack the whole story.

What are yours?

Also, I wonder if Darrell Moore ever ties his lack of sleep and being overworked at HAC to his drastic health decline of the last decade or so.

GeneFrenkle said:
There were some statements made during my time at HAC that I have come to resent.  I'm also glad I was around people who point out some realities when I was there.

How about Ray Young?  "I'm at the college at 4am".  Didn't tell you that he was in bed before the sun went down, staff to take care of his tasks, and took naps in his office during the day.  There was always an implication that the less sleep you had the more spiritual you were.  Jesus took naps.

How about Larry Smith?  "I donate my salary back to the college".  No background whatsoever.  Owns a construction business that's making him pretty good money.  Why not state this?  Speaking of him, is he still around?

How about Pete Cowling?  "I took a $XXX,XXX paycut to go from UT to HAC".  Owned trailer parks that gave him a pretty good income.  Side income isn't a bad thing.  Just be honest.

Darrell Moore?  "You think you're busy now, wait until you're in full-time ministry".  Never a more discouraging and FALSE statement in my time there.  I was ready to quit that day.  Ministry has never been even half as busy as I was in college.

I realize these are somewhat petty, but they have always bothered me.  It's not quite lying, but pretty close.  Why set yourself up as something you're not?  Then you have 18-22 year-old students running around trying to replicate your "faith" and failing miserably because they lack the whole story.

What are yours?
Good points all. 

I was told that girls never said no to a first date.....I found out that was a lie :)

cpizzle said:
I was told that girls never said no to a first date.....I found out that was a lie :)

Only to you, bro.

And then there's JH constantly stating/preaching that "I never take a day off."

I worked for a HACker as an assistant pastor who gave me so much stuff to do that I thought, well I guess I have to put in 7 days a week too & did. Within 7-8 months I had a physical breakdown & was told if I didn't take a month off & after that a day off per week, I would die of a heart attack before I was 30. 

Checkout JH's schedule in "Let's build an evangelistic church." Written while still in Texas.

Twisted said:
cpizzle said:

Only to you, bro.
That's what I was thinking.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

I had a room mate who kept insulting people because he only slept six hours per night. Later, he quietly went back to eight hours.

Physically, some people can get by on six hours per night but the Scriptures do not attribute that to spirituality.

The Staff spent several hours saturday morning getting the students rallied to do what they have long since ceased to...causing the disconnect to lend to tyranny.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk