Mission Trips

Bruh

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Through the years we’ve given money for young people to go on mission trips. The idea was that these young people would help and or maybe get a burden for missions.

As we look back our experience tells us that the same young people do not go into missions and it just becomes, a life experience. I’m definitely not against, a life experience but not at the expense of other peoples money, coated as, it’s for the Lord.

Laymen are up very early to rush out the door for work. In many cases work well over 40 hours a week to provide for their families. Give 10% of their gross income, pay 15% in taxes and haven’t even bought groceries yet.

We continually hear and are asked to give to these “projects”. I believe these men should be ashamed of themselves.

What say you HAC nation?

How about providing oppertunities to earn their way to the mission trip.

When we have a youth mission trip the young people earn the money to go. That weeds out the ones who are just looking for a vacation. Kids that go on mission trips are far more likely to become missionaries but God has to direct them. Many do not get called untill college. We wast money on so many thing seems like a good cause but I would not give a dime to a Kid I WAS EPECTING would go to the mission field.

Give as God impresses on you and leave the results up to him. If you want return on investment support a 4th year mission student (missionaries kids are best) or support young couples on deputation. Can you imagine traveling the country for 18months to 2 years trying to raise support to go overseas.

How about providing oppertunities to earn their way to the mission trip.

When we have a youth mission trip the young people earn the money to go. That weeds out the ones who are just looking for a vacation. Kids that go on mission trips are far more likely to become missionaries but God has to direct them. Many do not get called untill college. We wast money on so many thing seems like a good cause but I would not give a dime to a Kid I WAS EPECTING would go to the mission field.

Give as God impresses on you and leave the results up to him. If you want return on investment support a 4th year mission student (missionaries kids are best) or support young couples on deputation. Can you imagine traveling the country for 18months to 2 years trying to raise support to go overseas.

My opinion, if a church is unable to financially support a missionary full time maybe their Jerusalem isn’t reached, just yet.

I agree, 18 months to 2 years is crazy and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Again, half the time those on deputation come back from deputation and never go back.

Has that “missionary” built anything? If those pastors are willing to ask others to give why not sacrifice more money from your church members? If you believe in these families as you claim to.

I believe that churches have been sadly irresponsible with Gods peoples money.

I’m of the opinion that most teen mission trips are basically amusement park vacations hiding behind a day or two of raking leaves and clearing brush.

We had a youth pastor who refused to schedule summer trips of that nature. He said that vacations were mom and dad’s responsibility. The time he spent with the students was dedicated to discipleship.

Some of the strongest faith warriors our church has seen came out of his ministry there.

My opinion, if a church is unable to financially support a missionary full time maybe their Jerusalem isn’t reached, just yet.

I agree, 18 months to 2 years is crazy and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Again, half the time those on deputation come back from deputation and never go back.

Has that “missionary” built anything? If those pastors are willing to ask others to give why not sacrifice more money from your church members? If you believe in these families as you claim to.

I believe that churches have been sadly irresponsible with Gods peoples money.
Many churches have 20, 30 or even 50 missionaries around the world. It would a significant expenditure to fully fund that many missionries. The advantage of having multiple supporting churches is your not dependent on just one church for all your support. If you loose a church or two you still have support coming in. You also have many more people praying for you and your ministry.

Many churches have 20, 30 or even 50 missionaries around the world. It would a significant expenditure to fully fund that many missionries. The advantage of having multiple supporting churches is your not dependent on just one church for all your support. If you loose a church or two you still have support coming in. You also have many more people praying for you and your ministry.
Good points. But I still think it best if the sending church supports their missionary 100% financially.

Good points. But I still think it best if the sending church supports their missionary 100% financially.
I've never heard of this. you must only have a dozen or less missionaries. Bible says go into all the world, but I guess your doing your part. How much support does your church give each of your missionaries monthly.

Cost of living varies so much around the world, how do you all handle that with multiple missionaries.

Do they all get the same support or does it depend on the reagion of the world.

Last edited:
I've never heard of this. you must only have a dozen or less missionaries. Bible says go into all the world, but I guess your doing your part. How much support does your church give each of your missionaries monthly.

Cost of living varies so much aroung the world, how do you all handle that with multiple missiosries.
I’ve never heard of it either. I have no clue what my church sends monthly to missionaries. I stopped giving to these type things because of to many bad experiences. Again, 10% tithe on gross income, 15%taxes and giving to missions. How does a guy put back for retirement? And buying groceries giving all of this.

I can do better with what God gives me. As people come into our lives if they warrant me giving to them, so be it, trust me I’m happy to give just not at the expense of my retirement, anymore.

We’ve helped pay off buildings, properties all the while my mortgage is still there and car note and taxes without being able to put back for retirement.

I’ve seen men get help to build a home and say, God wants us to help missionaries coming off the field or pastors that need help with their marriages. And than at some point after receiving free labor and money sell it and make a profit and put that profit in their pocket lol man not me…..nope not anymore

Sorry, but I just don’t see it anymore

as a side note its very common for a new pastor to come in an change u their missionaries. Also churches go under all the time or sadly choose not to support missionaries anymore. I knwo a many that this has happened to. Sometimes when groups of churches change directions they drop missionaries that do not change with them. If you mission support came from one church you would have zero ncome. If it comes from 50 churches you would only loose 2 % of your support.

I wonder if churches are upping their support in light of 20% inflation over 5 years. Its like a 20% pay cut.

as a side note its very common for a new pastor to come in an change u their missionaries. Also churches go under all the time or sadly choose not to support missionaries anymore. I knwo a many that this has happened to. Sometimes when groups of churches change directions they drop missionaries that do not change with them. If you mission support came from one church you would have zero ncome. If it comes from 50 churches you would only loose 2 % of your support.

I wonder if churches are upping their support in light of 20% inflation over 5 years. Its like a 20% pay cut.
Laymen deal with the same thing. As if our income has gone up 20%

For those of you who lean Calvinist do you see any need for Missionaries? Won't those who are the elect get saved regardless? Not trying being smart, I sincerly want to know. I've read a dozen or more articles on Calvinism and TULIP theology and I will admit i'm still very ignorant of how it all works. I think I understand the Elect part of it but I don't fully understand mans role in the process. I believe God has chosen us to spread the gospel and sinners are dependent on us to shre the good news. If I was a Calvinist would I have that same responsibility and would there be an urgency. Does John 4:35 have a different meaning.

I truely would like to understand.

For those of you who lean Calvinist do you see any need for Missionaries?

How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” (Romans 10:14-15)​

Paul, who expounded on the doctrine of predestination, says missionaries are needed to bring the Gospel to those who have not believed. That is the end of the matter.

How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” (Romans 10:14-15)​

Paul, who expounded on the doctrine of predestination, says missionaries are needed to bring the Gospel to those who have not believed. That is the end of the matter.
So If we don't spread the gospel will some of the "Elect" die and go to hell? I have been told by some who are Calvinist that those who are the elect will get saved no matter what men choose to do. They also said those who are the elect have no choice but to accept. This never made much sense to me but perhaps I just do not fully understand.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Paul also expounded that God wants all men to be saved:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Timothy 2:3-4&version=KJV
1 Tim. 2 :3-4
2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Romans 10:13
"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved".

Peter wrote: 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

For those of you who lean Calvinist do you see any need for Missionaries?

I truely would like to understand.
One of the best examples I have ever been ware of regarding calvinists and missions:

Former pastor had met another pastor (inner city missionary) for lunch. Afterward the missionary pastor asked his guest to go with him on some calls. He pulled up in front of a large apartment complex and as they were getting out of the car he said “Some of God’s elect live here. I have been praying that He allows me to find some of them. Today may be the day”.

There’s no conflict between calvinism and evangelism.

One of the best examples I have ever been ware of regarding calvinists and missions:

Former pastor had met another pastor (inner city missionary) for lunch. Afterward the missionary pastor asked his guest to go with him on some calls. He pulled up in front of a large apartment complex and as they were getting out of the car he said “Some of God’s elect live here. I have been praying that He allows me to find some of them. Today may be the day”.

There’s no conflict between calvinism and evangelism.
this does make some sense but if they choose to golf instead that day and no one witnessed to the elect ever again would they die and go to Hell.

I believe God already knows those who will choose to acceot his free gift, but do those people have a free will to choose or have they already been selected and have not say in the matter?

See my post above

So If we don't spread the gospel will some of the "Elect" die and go to hell? I have been told by some who are Calvinist that those who are the elect will get saved no matter what men choose to do. They also said those who are the elect have no choice but to accept. This never made much sense to me but perhaps I just do not fully understand.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Paul also expounded that God wants all men to be saved:
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Timothy 2:3-4&version=KJV
1 Tim. 2 :3-4
2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.

3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

Romans 10:13
"For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved".

Peter wrote: 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
Whoever made those statements were wrong. Just as wrong as the person who tells you that you are responsible for someone going to hell because you didn’t share the gospel with them. The error on both sides is a result of misapplying scripture by missing or ignoring the context of a particular passage.

Whoever made those statements were wrong. Just as wrong as the person who tells you that you are responsible for someone going to hell because you didn’t share the gospel with them. The error on both sides is a result of misapplying scripture by missing or ignoring the context of a particular passage.
Romans 10:14–15: “How shall they believe unless they hear? How shall they hear unless there’s a preacher?

1 Corinthians 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

this does make some sense but if they choose to golf instead that day and no one witnessed to the elect ever again would they die and go to Hell.

I believe God already know those who will choose to acceot his free gift but do those people have a free will to choose or have they already been selected and have not say in the matter?

See my post above
God’s will is going to prevail regardless of what you or I do. The purpose of our being obedient is to align us with His will and to be blessed by Him using us in His plans. If we are disobedient He will accomplish His will through some other avenue. For example if the guy is gone golfing when the missionary knocks on the door, God will put another person in their life to share.

God’s will is going to prevail regardless of what you or I do. The purpose of our being obedient is to align us with His will and to be blessed by Him using us in His plans. If we are disobedient He will accomplish His will through some other avenue. For example if the guy is gone golfing when the missionary knocks on the door, God will put another person in their life to share.
I have never heard a Calvinist say this, but it makes a lot more sense. You are saying, he may choose to use us, but if we refuse he will choose another.

My confusion is between God already knowing who will choose to accept him and God pre deciding who should accept him and condeming the rest to an eternity in Hell.

Clearly thats what we all deserve but I can't believe, based on the Bible, that God does not offer salvation to all men who will accept him.