Modern vernacular versions

rsc2a

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I'm looking for a source where I can find modern vernacular versions of the Bible, something akin to the Cottonpatch gospel, preferably online. I'm teaching through 1 Peter, and I'd like to have our group read something that would actually look like a modern letter so they really capture the thought that this was a real letter written to real people and not just "high holy scripture".

Any ideas?

I thought about that one, but I'm really looking for something that forces them (in a sense) to grasp the context.

Like going so far as to moving the opening to the end like we expect in modern letters.

Example:

"Dear chosen exiles scattered throughout....

<body>

...May the grace and peace of our Lord, Jesus Christ be on you all.

Peter, an apostle of Jesus

I like Phillips NT but that is not really "new" anymore.

The God's Word version is pretty good for readability but I don't think that it made the alterations you seek.

I might just recommend they read it in a modern paraphrase then. :)

rsc2a said:
I'm looking for a source where I can find modern vernacular versions of the Bible, something akin to the Cottonpatch gospel, preferably online. I'm teaching through 1 Peter, and I'd like to have our group read something that would actually look like a modern letter so they really capture the thought that this was a real letter written to real people and not just "high holy scripture".

Any ideas?

How about NLT it's on line and thought for thought.

subllibrm said:
I like Phillips NT but that is not really "new" anymore.

Sure, it dates from the 1940s, but at least Letters to Young Churches was written for pretty much the reason rsc2a is looking for: to make the letters of the New Testament read like letters. And in that, it excels. (The rest of Phillips' NT is not as strong.)

I'm not aware of anything like the Cotton Patch Bible, other than the Cotton Patch Bible. Even that was sort of a half-baked attempt at contextualization, as Clarence Jordan would simply switch to Palestinian geography whenever Georgian geography made telling the New Testament narrative inconvenient.

rsc2a said:
I thought about that one, but I'm really looking for something that forces them (in a sense) to grasp the context.

Like going so far as to moving the opening to the end like we expect in modern letters.

Example:

<body>

I could take my translation of the book and make it hip! ....

rsc2a said:

Example:

<body>

I could take my translation of the book and make it hip! ....