Modesty in the Bible

The Rogue Tomato

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I tried reading through the Yoga pants thread, but it's just so long... so I apologize if I missed a post that mentioned this already.  Someone asked if modesty was defined in the Bible.  As far as I can see, it's not - unless you interpret the following passage to mean messy hair, cheap clothes, and plastic jewelry is modesty.

But I'll post this anyway.  The Pharisees here can go wild with this one.  It has so much potential to be abused.  "Hey ladies, shut up and get busy making babies, 'cause that's how you gals get saved.  The rules are different for us."

8 Therefore I want the men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing. 9 I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10 but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.

11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15 But women will be saved through childbearing?if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

Yes, I'm almost certain you're right, ale.  But you underestimate the ability of a Pharisee to make it mean something else. ;)

The Rogue Tomato said:
I tried reading through the Yoga pants thread, but it's just so long... so I apologize if I missed a post that mentioned this already.  Someone asked if modesty was defined in the Bible.  As far as I can see, it's not - unless you interpret the following passage to mean messy hair, cheap clothes, and plastic jewelry is modesty.

But I'll post this anyway.  The Pharisees here can go wild with this one.  It has so much potential to be abused.  "Hey ladies, shut up and get busy making babies, 'cause that's how you gals get saved.  The rules are different for us."

8 Therefore I want the men everywhere to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or disputing. 9 I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, 10 but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.

11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. 12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. 15 But women will be saved through childbearing?if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.

Regarding the (insane) idea of a woman is saved by having children: This is what comes when one verse is taken out of context, misunderstood, and misapplied.  Verses 13-14 give good reason why a man might hate a woman.  V15 explains why she is saved from the man's wrath, not from God's wrath: the woman is the only way that the man's family can go on past his generation. I believe that such is what v.15 is teaching.  Clearly, "saved" here is NOT from the wrath of God -- we know that repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ bring salvation to everyone.  There is not one way for men to be saved and another for women to be saved.

aleshanee said:
if you read how paul wrote it .... he could have been looking at a woman dressed like this ..
and using her as an example of what not to dress like.....  ... it was the thing back then
to show off the families wealth by dressing up the women in as extravagant a way as
possible ........ i see paul using the original definition of modesty to say christians should
not be showing off their prosperity and bragging to the world like that......... 

Makes sense.  Jesus taught that when we give, we should not make a big deal about it, to draw attention to ourselves, but to keep it hidden as much as possible.  Likewise, clothing shouldn't be about us and drawing attention to ourselves.

Walt said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

Regarding the (insane) idea of a woman is saved by having children: This is what comes when one verse is taken out of context, misunderstood, and misapplied.  Verses 13-14 give good reason why a man might hate a woman.  V15 explains why she is saved from the man's wrath, not from God's wrath: the woman is the only way that the man's family can go on past his generation. I believe that such is what v.15 is teaching.  Clearly, "saved" here is NOT from the wrath of God -- we know that repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ bring salvation to everyone.  There is not one way for men to be saved and another for women to be saved.

Thank you for that.  I was joking with my example of abuse.  But I really like how you put your interpretation:  "the woman is the only way that the man's family can go on past his generation." 

The Rogue Tomato said:
Walt said:
The Rogue Tomato said:

Thank you for that.  I was joking with my example of abuse.  But I really like how you put your interpretation:  "the woman is the only way that the man's family can go on past his generation."

I didn't think you were serious, but there was  poster here (one of the previous versions of the  FFF) who took this verse to mean exactly what you said in jest.