Music you COULD NOT BELIEVE got approved at HAC...

16KJV11

Doctor
Reaction score
What music did you submit or that you knew others submitted that you could not believe was approved?

As a newbie there in 1990, I submitted a cassette tape by Gold City, "City of Gold" that to my shock was APPROVED!  8)

I also submitted a cassette by the Statler Brothers that was approved! :D

IFB X-Files said:
I sure miss cassettes.  Imagine taking a 1/8" wide piece of Mylar, then splitting it into four audio tracks, then recording at 1 7/8ips and getting the sound you were able to get.

Absolutely amazing.

And one could make a tape of Metallica, attach a cassette cover for a Hypes sermon tape and get by with it! :)

IFB X-Files said:
Smellin Coffee said:
IFB X-Files said:
I sure miss cassettes.  Imagine taking a 1/8" wide piece of Mylar, then splitting it into four audio tracks, then recording at 1 7/8ips and getting the sound you were able to get.

Absolutely amazing.

And one could make a tape of Metallica, attach a cassette cover for a Hypes sermon tape and get by with it! :)

I think Meister was smashing your tape with a hammer at a split chapel.  Those sure were a hoot.

I never turned in a cassette tape for approval. I'm glad that they did not think to smash the radios in our cars!

IFB X-Files said:
Smellin Coffee said:
IFB X-Files said:

Absolutely amazing.

I think Meister was smashing your tape with a hammer at a split chapel.  Those sure were a hoot.

3 problems with that theory.

1. Meister left the year before I became a student.
2. I was still a loyalists when I attended so I didn't have any rock tapes.
3. I lived at home so the school didn't have to approve my music.

But in fairness, being an HB punk, I sure knew how it was done! :D

Someone explain why you would be submitting a tape.  Was it for approval for personal listening?

Did the Dean of Students have a massive collection of copied music? :)

Norefund said:
Someone explain why you would be submitting a tape.  Was it for approval for personal listening?

Yes. If they only knew what was ahead in just a few short years, I wonder if they would have wasted the time. I mean the cell phones, internet, etc.

Never turned in a tape for approval.  We had cassettes or 8 tracks of The Inspirations, Jimmy Swaggart, and Dallas Holm and Praise. 

RAIDER said:
Never turned in a tape for approval.  We had cassettes or 8 tracks of The Inspirations, Jimmy Swaggart, and Dallas Holm and Praise.
You stinkin' deadbeat liberal backsliding rebel!  Turn in your Hacker card and join Smellin' and his merry band of HB punks!

16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:
You stinkin' deadbeat liberal backsliding rebel!  Turn in your Hacker card and join Smellin' and his merry band of HB punks!

I had a roommate whose brother came to HAC as a freshman.  He was a California guy.  He would ride in my vehicle every now and then.  I've told the story before of how we would listen to the radio.  Christopher Cross was on the top of his game during that time period.  His big song was "Ride Like the Wind".  Long story short, this kid ended up getting expelled.  One day I went to my mail box and there was an envelope.  Inside the envelope was a copied cassette tape of Christopher Cross' greatest hits.  I hid it quickly.  No, I never turned it in for approval.  :)

I never turned in any music for approval either. One of my friends turned some of my tapes to be approved during one semester. She often borrowed some of mine and was worried she might get into trouble.

During my senior year, my boyfriend (now husband) worked for Bro. Morales, so he just gave me the stickers to put on my tapes of the Carpenters and [gasp] Steve Green. 

So, would they put a sticker or initial it or something showing it was approved? Did someone search your dorm rooms looking for unapproved music?

BALAAM said:
Norefund said:

Yes. If they only knew what was ahead in just a few short years, I wonder if they would have wasted the time. I mean the cell phones, internet, etc.

Norefund said:
So, would they put a sticker or initial it or something showing it was approved? Did someone search your dorm rooms looking for unapproved music?

BALAAM said:
Norefund said:

I never heard about anyone's room being searched, nor did I ever hear about someone getting demerits for not having stickers on their tapes. 

It might have happened, but I never heard about it. 

RAIDER said:
16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:

I had a roommate whose brother came to HAC as a freshman.  He was a California guy.  He would ride in my vehicle every now and then.  I've told the story before of how we would listen to the radio.  Christopher Cross was on the top of his game during that time period.  His big song was "Ride Like the Wind".  Long story short, this kid ended up getting expelled.  One day I went to my mail box and there was an envelope.  Inside the envelope was a copied cassette tape of Christopher Cross' greatest hits.  I hid it quickly.  No, I never turned it in for approval.  :)
Well,....you've got such a long way to go.

Earnestly Contend

prophet said:
RAIDER said:
16KJV11 said:
RAIDER said:

Well,....you've got such a long way to go.

Earnestly Contend
To make it to the border of Mexico.

I never had any tapes at college, so I did not turn any in.

In fact, I don't think I even knew of anyone doing so, but knew that it was possible.

I don't recall any music ever being played in my dorm for the entire time I was there.

I do know I learned all about Michael Jackson from my Bible Club kids break dancing.

And Spanish music.  I heard that on Saturdays as well.

Teri in NC said:
I never had any tapes at college, so I did not turn any in.

In fact, I don't think I even knew of anyone doing so, but knew that it was possible.

I don't recall any music ever being played in my dorm for the entire time I was there.

I do know I learned all about Michael Jackson from my Bible Club kids break dancing.

And Spanish music.  I heard that on Saturdays as well.

I should have split this up to make more posts.