Music

brainisengaged

Elect
Reaction score
May is Music Month at our church, and we are learning the principles of godly music. 

We are taught that singers should do what they do to glorify God and not to be carnal. Fair enough, of course I agree!

Singers are taught that what is godly is to stand stock-still when they sing. They are to hold the microphone directly in front of their mouth, add no inflection or expression, and they are to smile the entire time they are singing.

If that is what singers are to do in order to be godly and not be considered to be worldly or to be *gasp* performing, then shouldn't the preacher stand stock-still, hold the microphone directly in front of his mouth, add no inflection or expression, and smile the entire time he is preaching? Otherwise, isn't he just being carnal and performing up there?

I consider myself fairly conservative when it comes to music.  I do enjoy certain Southern Gospel groups.  I dislike most CCM.  With that being said, I think it is absolutely CRAZY to teach that which you have in the OP.

I have watched singers draw attention to themselves to the point where it takes away from the song and does what your OP points out.  I do not care for this.  On the other hand, to stand there like a statue and to be criticized if you tap your foot or move a little bit is just ignorant. 

You have a great comparison in your OP.  Why is it ok for a preacher to show emotion and not a singer.  I realize there is a fine line and it needs to be guarded, but some of this is beyond reasonable.

uh-oh.  You started thinking.  Be careful, you might get preached at or even churched!

In all fairness the performance practice I mentioned is the way it is done here, down the line. However, The exact instructions were not spoken aloud. It is understood and encouraged that is how it is to be done. It is made clear from the pulpit that our kind of music is what pleases God most. How was God ever pleased before our style evolved these last few decades.

brainisengaged said:
In all fairness the performance practice I mentioned is the way it is done here, down the line. However, The exact instructions were not spoken aloud. It is understood and encouraged that is how it is to be done. It is made clear from the pulpit that our kind of music is what pleases God most. How was God ever pleased before our style evolved these last few decades.

I would sure hate to see your preachers reaction to the OT Jews when they began to sing.  :)

Berean Baptist College (Tom Neal's school) was at our church yesterday. They actually sounded really nice, it was a mixed group of guys and ladies. They had good voices but kept the microphone close to their mouth and NEVER smiled! I was hoping they at least enjoyed signing the songs!

RAIDER said:
I consider myself fairly conservative when it comes to music.  I do enjoy certain Southern Gospel groups.  I dislike most CCM.  With that being said, I think it is absolutely CRAZY to teach that which you have in the OP.

I have watched singers draw attention to themselves to the point where it takes away from the song and does what your OP points out.  I do not care for this.  On the other hand, to stand there like a statue and to be criticized if you tap your foot or move a little bit is just ignorant. 

Stop being so balanced. You will lose your honorary 100% button that I've pinned you with in my mind.

brainisengaged said:
May is Music Month at our church, and we are learning the principles of godly music. 

We are taught that singers should do what they do to glorify God and not to be carnal. Fair enough, of course I agree!

Singers are taught that what is godly is to stand stock-still when they sing. They are to hold the microphone directly in front of their mouth, add no inflection or expression, and they are to smile the entire time they are singing.

If that is what singers are to do in order to be godly and not be considered to be worldly or to be *gasp* performing, then shouldn't the preacher stand stock-still, hold the microphone directly in front of his mouth, add no inflection or expression, and smile the entire time he is preaching? Otherwise, isn't he just being carnal and performing up there?

In all seriousness I wonder if this philosophy started because in the eyes of some nothing else is supposed to show more passion than the preaching. Nothing should have more emotion and pathos than when the preacher is there.

brainisengaged said:

Yes, I was there last night. When it comes to music there are two words that will be continually thrown around and those are "carnal" and "worldly". These terms are usually like the junk drawer in your kitchen. If you don't know exactly what to say you just revert to carnal and worldly.

Once again, I have been working with a contractor who is Amish and we have had a couple of conversations. He would consider any one of us "carnal" and "worldly" for our clothes, our electicity, etc. And many of his contemporaries consider him "carnal" and "worldly" because he carries a cell phone and uses an electric generator. Nebulous terms and I don't believe either one of these words are usually used correctly.

That being said; I am glad I am not a pastor who has to decide the music standards to be used in his church. ::)

How many IFBs practice the instructions God gave in the song book He wrote?

Psa 150:4  Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

Why do IFBs not use God's song book?

They tend to use only modern songs written in the last several hundred years.

brainisengaged said:

Where do these guys get this stuff? Much like JS with his closed toed shoes preference.

Keep thinking for yourself.

This was sung at my church yesterday, that's our worship team.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2h9Hm9JZho

I have been on both sides. I choose a heart for God over expressionless repetition of "approved" music. Have you ever watched teenagers brought up in typical FBCH type churches sing from the pew? Most are bored to death. They sing because that's what you are supposed to do...if they sing at all. But there is no passion. No heart for God. Are there exceptions? Of course! But the great majority are just going through the motions. There is no heart for God. Now...I am not saying that a different style of music will change their heart. No. I am saying that we are focusing on the wrong thing. Teach them to have a heart for God. If you watch the video above you will see that people are singing from the heart. The words to that song are beautiful. And when people believe what they are singing, their faces and expressions show it.
Maybe you don't like it. Maybe you don't need it. Maybe it's just not for you. That's ok. Maybe God is reaching you in a different way. But don't knock how God reaches others just because it isn't how He reaches you.
My personal relationship with Christ has become very real.  And it has brought me to the place of understanding that He uses different methods to reach different people.

That's all folks!

From Bravo: In all seriousness I wonder if this philosophy started because in the eyes of some nothing else is supposed to show more passion than the preaching. Nothing should have more emotion and pathos than when the preacher is there.

I think you are right, Bravo. I have seen 'preechers' jump on the pulpit, smash televisions, scream, run, shout, wave hands, hiss, weep, honk, snort...can you IMAGINE the impropriety if a singer or musician were to do any of the above?

They say the 'preecher' is filled with the Spirit, and thus it is the Spirit that is controlling him during the preaching. But they also say every singer and musician must beg for the filling of the Spirit prior to singing or playing or they are not right with God...yet the filling of the Spirit on the part of the singers and musicians must never be allowed to eclipse the filling of the Spirit for the 'preecher'...I guess the Spirit knows how to dose it out properly according to rank?