"My faith is in Jesus ...."

Mr. Hall

Elect
Reaction score
Extracted from a post up above:

"My faith is in Jesus, not those who assimilate religious literature."

This may be the most profound statement I've read in either forum.  This one I can understand:  Faith in an historical figure, a tradesman from Galilee who literally changed the world, not necessarily in everything written about him in a collection of old books.

$

Mr. Hall said:

This may be the most profound statement I've read in either forum.  This one I can understand:  Faith in an historical figure, a tradesman from Galilee who literally changed the world, not necessarily in everything written about him in a collection of old books.

$

You know nothing about Him except what you read in those "old books"...are you implying that you pick and choose what it is you believe about Him?

Mr. Hall said:

$

Nice sentiment, but it is meaningless.  Like brother t bone said, you can know absolutely nothing about him without old books.

T-Bone

"You know nothing about Him except what you read in those "old books"...are you implying that you pick and choose what it is you believe about Him?"

The New Testament provides an important window into the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth.  But it's not the only one.  What about the Gnostic Gospels?  What about the works of historians, archeologists, and researchers down through the centuries?  Wikipedia's lengthy summary alone includes over 500 references.

It's not a matter of picking and choosing.  It's a matter of reading everything, including the New Testament, critically and with no assumptions about its inspiration or its accuracy.  And most importantly, it's a matter of trying to use one's brain along with a little reason.

Jesus of Nazareth is a compelling figure.  I see something there; I'm not sure what it is.  Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part:  Maybe not.  But I certainly don't pretend to have all the answers about him or even a few of them.  It's a mystery.  And that's okay.

$

Mr. Hall said:
T-Bone

"You know nothing about Him except what you read in those "old books"...are you implying that you pick and choose what it is you believe about Him?"

The New Testament provides an important window into the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth.  But it's not the only one.  What about the Gnostic Gospels?  What about the works of historians, archeologists, and researchers down through the centuries?  Wikipedia's lengthy summary alone includes over 500 references.

It's not a matter of picking and choosing.  It's a matter of reading everything, including the New Testament, critically and with no assumptions about its inspiration or its accuracy.  And most importantly, it's a matter of trying to use one's brain along with a little reason.

Jesus of Nazareth is a compelling figure.  I see something there; I'm not sure what it is.  Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part:  Maybe not.  But I certainly don't pretend to have all the answers about him or even a few of them.  It's a mystery.  And that's okay.

$

The problem with the Gnostic gospels is that their authorship for each one of them is in question.  Their dating is not first person account some as much as 200 years later. And the information provided in them does not add to the NT account..it conflicts with it...two opposite views cannot both be correct.  Your real problem is in your last paragraph..either Jesus is the Incarnate Son of God or He isn't....no room for middle ground.  You are right that it is a matter of faith...and your and my response to God's Truth means everything.