My Kingdom for a COOKIE!

abcaines

Staff member
Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
For nearly the past year and a half, I have been watching my diet more seriously especially because my Dr wants to put me on metformin. As of my last screening in August of '22, when I began getting serious about my diet, my blood sugars were right at what is considered the diabetic threshold. I tried metformin for a couple weeks and found it messed with my ability to drive, therefore, I'm not taking it.

I tried low carb dieting but almost ended up in jail as a result. Now, I allow myself carbs (mostly the complex variety) early in the day and all but curtail them after midday. The first benefit I have noticed is I am sleeping MUCH better at night. And yes, I have dropped a modest amount of weight. However, as the weather has gotten colder, my cravings for carbs has gone through the roof. Last winter, wasn't so bad mostly because I was still figuring out how to balance my diet.

This winter, especially after driving around town all day, I want nothing more than to stop by Domino's on my way home (their chicken Alfredo pizza is da bomb!) and wash it down with the wife's killer homemade hot cocoa mix.

I'm on Christmas break right now and I did some yardwork today after which was I famished. A grilled cheese sandwich (made with Orowheat Health Nut bread) did very nicely. Dinner was a chef's salad. Now, I'm tempted to bake up a batch of my killer cranberry orange scones.

Just venting...

Last edited:
For nearly the past year and a half, I have been watching my diet more seriously especially because my Dr wants to put me on metformin. As of my last screening in August of '22, when I began getting serious about my diet, my blood sugars were right at what is considered the diabetic threshold. I tried metformin for a couple weeks and found it messed with my ability to drive, therefore, I'm not taking it.

I tried low carb dieting but almost ended up in jail as a result. Now, I allow myself carbs (mostly the complex variety) early in the day and all but curtail them after midday. The first benefit I have noticed is I am sleeping MUCH better at night. And yes, I have dropped a modest amount of weight. However, as the weather has gotten colder, my cravings for carbs has gone through the roof. Last winter, wasn't so bad mostly because I was still figuring out how to balance my diet.

This winter, especially after driving around town all day, I want nothing more than to stop by Domino's on my way home (their chicken Alfredo pizza is da bomb!) and wash it down with the wife's killer homemade hot cocoa mix.

I'm on Christmas break right now and I did some yardwork today after which was I famished. A grilled cheese sandwich (made with Orowheat Health Nut bread) did very nicely. Dinner was a chef's salad. Now, I'm tempted to bake up a batch of my killer cranberry orange scones.

Just venting...
my dad would understand and be in total agreement.. .. he;s been on metformin plus other meds for several years now... even some that are injected.. it;s the reason i changed my own diet and started learning to cook healthier meals... ....it worked for him in that it kept him alive.... but you can never completely out run your genetics or results of physical injuries... and especially when previous injuries complicate the medical issues.... ..or completely forget about foods you spent years in love with... .... i still eat my dunkin donuts and enjoy other a few high sugar high fat treats... .. but i don;t do it in front of him... ...