My son just got offered a job with my company

Very good! And congrats to you both! Things down here in Tennessee don't ever seem to work that way. Our nephew was my wife's supervisor for over a year, and my wife helped bring several into the company....they got far more pay entering the company than she did, and she had to train them....that was a bunch of horse puckey! She said something about it, and they gave her a 50 cent raise...They asked her how she felt about it, and she just turned and walked away. A few months later, they gave her a $2.50 an hour raise. We're waiting to see how this year will go. She was supposed to get a bonus for working through the "pandemic" but that never happened. She was also supposed to get paid for bringing these people into the company, and that, too, never happened. Thankfully, she's only got three more years left with them.....She's been with them for almost 25 years at present.

I got him an interview, and he was offered an entry level job making the same that I was making in 2018. And I have been here 12 years.

How crazy is that? I get $1000 for referring him and he gets another 1500 bonus for signing.
That’s pretty common nowadays. Companies are begging for workers because a lot of young people don’t want to work.

That’s pretty common nowadays. Companies are begging for workers because a lot of young people don’t want to work.
I think that is the reason. At 23 he was managing the Warehouse at 3 major Furniture stores here in our city and he worked there since he was 16. He is reliable and hard working and articulate. He's already making more than I was at age 48, although I did a career restart at age 44.

I think that is the reason. At 23 he was managing the Warehouse at 3 major Furniture stores here in our city and he worked there since he was 16. He is reliable and hard working and articulate. He's already making more than I was at age 48, although I did a career restart at age 44.
Yes, this is something that is becoming more common. I know my wife was having to restart in another career twenty years ago. She got a big boost in pay when she went from the intimate apparel company that we both worked for and went into working as a builder for Dell computers. She later restarted when she was moved after Dell closed here to being a shipping clerk in a logistics company, but still attached to Dell.....

I work in a rather large company that has multiple disciplines and categories of employment, and that is not uncommon to see people that have performed decently throughout the years be overtaken in salary by newcomers doing the same or similar job. It's a sad reality we are living with, but the reality is that the veteran worker has to be willing to use the same kind of leverage tactics and move to other potential employers.