My Teenager

cpizzle

Elect
Reaction score
Well, my son is about to turn 13.  Time to change my standards about dress and dating :)

Everything I told you about raising your teenagers no longer apply!

cpizzle said:
Well, my son is about to turn 13.  Time to change my standards about dress and dating :)

Since I know neither what your standards are or what you told about raising teenagers, I take it you are finally getting right.  About time.

cpizzle said:

My wife and I were just talking about this last week.  We have many friends who totally changed their music, dress, etc standards when their kids became teenagers.  I'm not sure if it parents don't want to "fight" about it or if they don't want their kids to be looked upon as "odd".  It is very common in IFB circles.

RAIDER said:
cpizzle said:

My wife and I were just talking about this last week.  We have many friends who totally changed their music, dress, etc standards when their kids became teenagers.  I'm not sure if it parents don't want to "fight" about it or if they don't want their kids to be looked upon as "odd".  It is very common in IFB circles.

My wife is still struggling with how hard her preacher, youth director, and other leaders were on her when she was a teenager but now his teens do much worse and he speaks highly of them.  She was told she must go to Bible college.  She couldn't wear a certain dress for her wedding.  Shorts are wicked.  No holding hands or you are a slut.  Now, the their kids wear shorts, attend secular colleges, get married in sleeveless dresses, and post pictures holding hands and hugging their dates.

She is actually having a hard time not being bitter.  Her youth was micromanaged with standards that have now changed for the convenience of the leader.

cpizzle said:
RAIDER said:
cpizzle said:

My wife is still struggling with how hard her preacher, youth director, and other leaders were on her when she was a teenager but now his teens do much worse and he speaks highly of them.  She was told she must go to Bible college.  She couldn't wear a certain dress for her wedding.  Shorts are wicked.  No holding hands or you are a slut.  Now, the their kids wear shorts, attend secular colleges, get married in sleeveless dresses, and post pictures holding hands and hugging their dates.

She is actually having a hard time not being bitter.  Her youth was micromanaged with standards that have now changed for the convenience of the leader.

Far too common in our day and time.

cpizzle said:

While I do not know you or your wife, I'm going to take it for granted she turned out to be a great wife and mother.  While seeing hypocrisy can be very upsetting, part of who she is was formed during her time as a teen.  Perhaps some of these "rules" protected her.

RAIDER said:
cpizzle said:

While I do not know you or your wife, I'm going to take it for granted she turned out to be a great wife and mother.  While seeing hypocrisy can be very upsetting, part of who she is was formed during her time as a teen.  Perhaps some of these "rules" protected her.

They certainly protected the two of us during our dating years......wink wink

cpizzle said:
RAIDER said:
cpizzle said:

It seems it is always about the sensitivities of the leader-preacher.

By some roundabout way they claim their beliefs are based on the bible but it is very hard for many to see those same so called standards in the very same bible.

IFBs have changed radically over the last 50 years. The so called "Old Paths" guys of today would not be recognizable to their heros.

Between my wife and I we have raised five kids (2 are mine and 3 are hers). Range in age from 31 to 25. All are successful and seem happy. My wife was widowed when hers were 6, 5 and 3. I was divorced when mine were 9 and 11. The older I get the more convinced I am that loving your kids and modeling what a good person should be is far more important than so called standards of a pastor or church.

The kids were grown when we married and we raised them differently but both of us while imperfect did try to teach by example and all five knew they were loved and knew they would be no matter what choices they made in life.

One thing that FBCH/HAC did teach me was that IFB standards does not make one a good person.

I've lived in south Florida for 34 years...I wear walking shorts. I miss church because of health issues with my husband. I grew up IFB and it never hurt me. I'm very thankful for the influences of Godly men. I was taught to never worship men which has helped me to take people for who they are not someone they are pretending to be...

cpizzle said:
RAIDER said:
cpizzle said:

I've noticed, not so much the standards, but similar "it's different when it's me" kind of stuff... It used to always be "bless God, we meet on these days and at these times!" - but when the pastor's grandchildren came along, the schedule was rearranged.

LongGone said:
Between my wife and I we have raised five kids (2 are mine and 3 are hers). Range in age from 31 to 25. All are successful and seem happy. My wife was widowed when hers were 6, 5 and 3. I was divorced when mine were 9 and 11. The older I get the more convinced I am that loving your kids and modeling what a good person should be is far more important than so called standards of a pastor or church.

The kids were grown when we married and we raised them differently but both of us while imperfect did try to teach by example and all five knew they were loved and knew they would be no matter what choices they made in life.

Congratulations!

One thing that FBCH/HAC did teach me was that IFB standards does not make one a good person.

True dat!