Naughty... a word that needs updating

A

admin

The word "naughty" has undergone a transition that gives the KJV reader the wrong, very understated idea.

Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. James 1:21

The word "naughtiness" translateds kakia which means "wicked, causing harm or destruction."

We are not talking about a little toddler doing some naughty little thing.

admin said:
The word "naughty" has undergone a transition that gives the KJV reader the wrong, very understated idea.

Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls. James 1:21

The word "naughtiness" translateds kakia which means "wicked, causing harm or destruction."

We are not talking about a little toddler doing some naughty little thing.
You've never seen an adult bookstore billboard?

I call BS on this one.

Anishinaabe

prophet said:
You've never seen an adult bookstore billboard?

The adult bookstore billboard proves admin's point. The proprietors don't actually believe they're doing something "wicked, causing harm or destruction." They believe, at worst, that their customers are doing something a little bit transgressive, that harms no one, behind closed doors.

Indeed. The modern use of naughty, other than as applied to children's behavior, is to designate something not truly bad, but rather merely inappropriately indiscreet or risque'.

Naughty is but one of the archaic or inexact words of the KJV that cause confusion (and perhaps tittering laughter) among modern readers.

Amusing to note how some of the KJVOs (particularly one in the Land of Oz) will insist upon not only the appropriateness, but even the necessity, and the specific exact correctness of these, and other words in the KJV.

We sing songs about Santa with "naughty" in them.

Please.

Naughty is the opposite of good.

How hard is it to understand this?

Santa isn't passing up Toddlers who left their toys out, he passing up the kid who does bad on purpose.

Even the Heathen teach this to their kids.

And tell me ,the smut they're selling at the adult novelty shop isn't wicked?

Next you'll tell me that superfluous has no modern definition.

I have said before, on this forum, that I'm all for an actual update to the KJV.  The Oxford Edition that I use is one.

Naughty isn't one of the archaic words.

Jn 16:32
32 Lo! the our cometh, and now it cometh, that ye be disparplid, ech in to hise owne thingis, and that ye leeue me aloone; and Y am not aloone, for the fadir is with me.
(WYC)

32 Beholde ye houre draweth nye and is already come yt ye shalbe scatered every man his wayes and shall leave me alone. And yet am I not alone. For ye father is with me.
(TyndaleBible)

32 Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone:and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.
(KJV)

32 Behold, the hour cometh, and is even now come, that ye shall be scattered every man to his own, and shall leave me alone:and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.
(WCV)

Progress is good.

Anishinaabe

prophet said:

Please.

I thought in the song it was naughty or nice.

prophet said:

Good covers a lot of ground in meaning.

Naughty nowadays refers only to the smallest and most trivial, inoffensive fraction of everything within the spectrum of "not good".

The point is that the modern meanings of naughty in the KJV altogether fail to convey what is actually in the text. Evil would do a better job.

I'm sure you cannot help but understand this quite well, but are arguing for the KJV here chauvinistically and therefore less than honestly.

prophet said:

Please.

Is  James addressing misbehaving little children bound for a stocking full of coal? No, he is talking about wicked men who are outside the righteousness of God, and bound for everlasting punishment in hell.

Admin is right - you are avoiding the obvious. Aggressively so, in fact.  And you're not defending the Bible, you're only trivializing it. Stop, before you embarrass Jesus more.

Ransom said:
prophet said:

Please.

Is  James addressing misbehaving little children bound for a stocking full of coal? No, he is talking about wicked men who are outside the righteousness of God, and bound for everlasting punishment in hell.

Admin is right - you are avoiding the obvious. Aggressively so, in fact.  And you're not defending the Bible, you're only trivializing it. Stop, before you embarrass Jesus more.
Pretending that I havent advocated for the updating of the language of the Scripture, or that "naughty" is an archaic word, are disingenuous on your part.
Your bias against certain of your brethren is showing, again.

Anishinabe

Mathew Ward said:
prophet said:

Please.

What is your point?
We all know the song.
That was mine.

I wasn't quoting it.

Anishinabe

SAWBONES said:
prophet said:

Naughty nowadays refers only to the smallest and most trivial, inoffensive fraction of everything within the spectrum of "not good".

The point is that the modern meanings of naughty in the KJV altogether fail to convey what is actually in the text. Evil would do a better job.

I'm sure you cannot help but understand this quite well, but are arguing for the KJV here chauvinistically and therefore less than honestly.
Hasn't 'Evil' been misused enough?

Why add to it?

Anishinabe

SAWBONES said:
prophet said:

Hasn't 'Evil' been misused enough?

Why add to it?

Anishinabe

prophet said:
Pretending that I havent advocated for the updating of the language of the Scripture, or that "naughty" is an archaic word, are disingenuous on your part.

Speaking of disingenuous, where did I say that "'naughty' is an archaic word"?

I agree with the OP, that the KJV's use of "naughty" is archaic, because the word has changed meaning from "evil" to "mischievous or disobedient."

Your bias against certain of your brethren is showing, again.

I am biased . . . against foolishness and error.

prophet said:
Mathew Ward said:
prophet said:

Please.

What is your point?
We all know the song.
That was mine.

I wasn't quoting it.

Anishinabe

If you are going to use a popular song to make your point, I think you should at least reference the song properly.

Mathew Ward said:
prophet said:
Mathew Ward said:
prophet said:

Please.

What is your point?
We all know the song.
That was mine.

I wasn't quoting it.

Anishinabe

If you are going to use a popular song to make your point, I think you should at least reference the song properly.
Sometimes you are a weird duck.
Post a video of you singing it if you want to. 
Sorry I didn't write out the lyrics.

Anishinaabe

prophet said:
Mathew Ward said:
prophet said:
Mathew Ward said:
prophet said:

Please.

What is your point?
We all know the song.
That was mine.

I wasn't quoting it.

Anishinabe

Sometimes you are a weird duck.
Post a video of you singing it if you want to. 
Sorry I didn't write out the lyrics.

Anishinaabe

No need to write out the lyrics, we all know it. Well at least most of us. :)

The movie is only "ehh"... but I always love a good Sean Connery saying.