New FBC Invitation Format

When I left college, the altar call would fill every step from the top of the platform to the bottom, all the way across and then extend halfway down the aisles. Obviously, an altar call does not determine the spiritual level of a congregation but I do find it interesting that not even the bottom step is full.
Is it because of actual attendance? Lack of a dynamic sermon? It doesn't seem to be from a lack of emphasizing coming forward- I actually never remember Schaap pleading with people to come forward (at least not on a regular basis).

Very few people at the altar.  How does he expect people to leave their pews to any song but, "I Surrender All"? :)

I wonder if this guy is trying to slam Wilkerson? 

Praise the Lord he had an altar call. As to pleading with people to come, he is just being a faithful pastor. I will restrain from posting what I am tempted to say in total, but may I point out a few positives. When Jesus preached many times people left, or got mad. He said something at one point that you would have never heard under past leadership. He said something like, If its is just education to you that's fine, but if God is using this in your life respond to Him.  WOW what a novel idea, sounds like Pastor Wilkerson actually believes God is in charge, not himself. PREACH ON Pastor Wilkerson PREACH ON!!

Looked like a moving altar call to me. What's the problem?

I don't get it.  What are we supposed to be upset about?  Or is the OP just pointing out that the choir is not present singing the exact same song every service?

I thought it was funny that someone recorded the video and posted it to facebook with the heading "FBC's new invitation format", mainly because it doesn't seem like much of a difference and secondly, because, who cares? It seems some still have an overinflated perspective on the role that church plays in the international landscape of Christianity.

I was also a little surprised to see the response to the invitation because while I was there all of the steps leading to the platform and half of the aisles were full almost nearly every Sunday night.

Also, if I used their "new" invitation format during my song service, it would be called a praise team and half of the IFB world would disassociate from me.

I believe that's on a Wednesday night because there's no choir. 

No, it is not a Wednesday night but it is either Sunday night or Sunday morning (I get mixed up...I think this was last Sunday night because Sunday morning the invitation was sung by a different trio).

The new format for the service is for the choir to leave the choir loft during the hand-shaking time. This just began this last Sunday. Pastor W announced that since he's now been there a year he can do whatever he wants, and this is what he wants to do! (Joke) The real truth is that the p.a. system does not allow the choir to hear the preaching very clearly, which has always been an issue. So they now join the congregation during the service, and a small group sings the invitation.

I am not going to judge the spiritual temperature of the church based on the altar call. I like to think we're all more 'real' and 'honest' now. In other words, no more flocking like lemmings to the altar after every service.

The teens are still strong-armed in their own chapel / revival services. All are encouraged to respond to every altar call and they make it VERY uncomfortable with snide spiritual ridicule for those who stay in their seats.

The person who posted this to YouTube is a self-appointed big wig in the church. He was one of the ones invited to speak on how he raised such a great family. February is Family month and a different man gave an account each week of how he got his kids to turn out right. (Right = either serving the Lord or still being in church) If you follow the links to his other YouTube videos you can listen to his talk.

brainisengaged said:
No, it is not a Wednesday night but it is either Sunday night or Sunday morning (I get mixed up...I think this was last Sunday night because Sunday morning the invitation was sung by a different trio).

The new format for the service is for the choir to leave the choir loft during the hand-shaking time. This just began this last Sunday. Pastor W announced that since he's now been there a year he can do whatever he wants, and this is what he wants to do! (Joke) The real truth is that the p.a. system does not allow the choir to hear the preaching very clearly, which has always been an issue. So they now join the congregation during the service, and a small group sings the invitation.

I am not going to judge the spiritual temperature of the church based on the altar call. I like to think we're all more 'real' and 'honest' now. In other words, no more flocking like lemmings to the altar after every service.

The teens are still strong-armed in their own chapel / revival services. All are encouraged to respond to every altar call and they make it VERY uncomfortable with snide spiritual ridicule for those who stay in their seats.

The person who posted this to YouTube is a self-appointed big wig in the church. He was one of the ones invited to speak on how he raised such a great family. February is Family month and a different man gave an account each week of how he got his kids to turn out right. (Right = either serving the Lord or still being in church) If you follow the links to his other YouTube videos you can listen to his talk.

Appreciate the balance first-hand information.

brainisengaged said:

That's what I was wondering. Just couldn't put it into words.