New song; Old song

Anchor

Elect
Reaction score
Scripture references the believer singing a "new song" on at least 9 different occasions, one of which is specifically stated as the "new song" being given (Ps. 40:3), and one of which it specifically states that only an elite group could sing that song (Rev. 14:3). Most mentionings are given as a semi-imperative--"...sing unto the LORD a new song...". Every context leaves little doubt that each references an objective song--literal words communicated/interpreted through literal music.

Now the concept of "new" is not a hard one to grasp--it is a definable change distinguishable and distinctive from that which is old. Which begs a question: what is the old song that this "new song" is in such distinctive contrast to?

Thoughts?

subllibrm said:
Anchor said:
Thoughts?

That you have a barely concealed desire to start a CCM thread?
I'm glad you have been divinely enlightened with my motive.  Of course, in OT times you would have been stoned as a false prophet since you are as wrong as a football bat.

Working through some of the worship Psalms--95, 96, 98 in particular--the matter of music, specifically sung music, is of obvious importance. Therefore, it is also important to understand what is being referenced in terms such as "sing", "joyful noise", and "new song" since they turn up in similar contexts repeatedly.  That is all.

Anchor said:
subllibrm said:
Anchor said:
Thoughts?

That you have a barely concealed desire to start a CCM thread?
I'm glad you have been divinely enlightened with my motive.  Of course, in OT times you would have been stoned as a false prophet since you are as wrong as a football bat.

Working through some of the worship Psalms--95, 96, 98 in particular--the matter of music, specifically sung music, is of obvious importance. Therefore, it is also important to understand what is being referenced in terms such as "sing", "joyful noise", and "new song" since they turn up in similar contexts repeatedly.  That is all.

You asked, I answered. Where did I claim that I was bringing prophecy?

I guess a couple of  ;) ;) ;) or a  8) might have helped.  ::)

;D