New Testament Greek

J

jimmudcatgrant

I always hear that the Greek spoken in the New Testament time was koine, or common Greek.  I am looking at at least 3 surgeries this year and will be unable to work, so I thought it might be a good time to try and learn Greek.  Does anyone have a self teaching program they would rec that would help me in learning biblical Greek?

I don't know Greek, but I've had some experience learning ancient languages (Anglo-Saxon, specifically) and I tried to self-learn koine myself after university.

The only self-teaching program I am personally familiar with is Learn New Testament Greek by John Dobson.  I worked through about 9 or 10 lessons before I had to stop, and much of what I learned I have still retained. After a few lessons about recognizing and pronouncing Greek, he gets right into the text - you're translating John 1 by about the second or third lesson. (Instant gratification is great when learning new skills!)

So from experience I can say that Dobson is very good for what it is - an inductive Greek grammar. You may wish to supplement, or follow him up, with a more traditional deductive grammar such as William Mounce's. Also, if you really want to achieve competence and fluency, I personally have my doubts that a self-learning program is truly an adequate substitute for academic study.  I've seen some self-taught, self-proclaimed Greek "experts" spout all sorts of nonsense online. What it probably will do for you, however, is enable you to follow the discussions in exegetical commentaries - which I wished I was better at.

Thanks for the info. You are correct that I would use it to follow exegetical writings. I hope to take some academic courses later on if Lord's will.
Ransom said:
I don't know Greek, but I've had some experience learning ancient languages (Anglo-Saxon, specifically) and I tried to self-learn koine myself after university.

The only self-teaching program I am personally familiar with is Learn New Testament Greek by John Dobson.  I worked through about 9 or 10 lessons before I had to stop, and much of what I learned I have still retained. After a few lessons about recognizing and pronouncing Greek, he gets right into the text - you're translating John 1 by about the second or third lesson. (Instant gratification is great when learning new skills!)

So from experience I can say that Dobson is very good for what it is - an inductive Greek grammar. You may wish to supplement, or follow him up, with a more traditional deductive grammar such as William Mounce's. Also, if you really want to achieve competence and fluency, I personally have my doubts that a self-learning program is truly an adequate substitute for academic study.  I've seen some self-taught, self-proclaimed Greek "experts" spout all sorts of nonsense online. What it probably will do for you, however, is enable you to follow the discussions in exegetical commentaries - which I wished I was better at.

Learn to Read New Testament Greek by David Alan Black. 

It is easy to read and you can self teach.

"Teach Yourself New Testament Greek" by Gavin Betts (part of the "Teach Yourself" series). It's what I used with some success. Also "Basics of Biblical Greek" by William D. Mounce (if you get this one then also get the workbook and the graded reader).
As for reading practice, get a good interlinear Greek New Testament, and also the "Reader's Greek New Testament". It's a basic Greek New Testament with translation glosses for words that appear fewer than 30 times.  Most people recommend the UBS Greek New Testament or Nestle-Aland 27, but those are for scholars and advanced students of Greek. The Reader's Greek New Testament is for intermediate students. It's based on UBS, but without the critical apparatus and footnotes (you won't need those things until you get advanced enough to do serious study of the Greek).Use the interlinear to help you along if you find a word that you can't remember the meaning of, or to check yourself for accuracy.

And I always recommend Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Teastament. It's public domain so it's available cheaply from a number of different publishers.  Not the best or most scholarly lexicon available, but it's good enough. It's what I use.

Aight, thanks for the info.
Bob said:
Learn to Read New Testament Greek by David Alan Black. 

It is easy to read and you can self teach.

Pre-shate all the info. 
wheatpenny said:
"Teach Yourself New Testament Greek" by Gavin Betts (part of the "Teach Yourself" series). It's what I used with some success. Also "Basics of Biblical Greek" by William D. Mounce (if you get this one then also get the workbook and the graded reader).
As for reading practice, get a good interlinear Greek New Testament, and also the "Reader's Greek New Testament". It's a basic Greek New Testament with translation glosses for words that appear fewer than 30 times.  Most people recommend the UBS Greek New Testament or Nestle-Aland 27, but those are for scholars and advanced students of Greek. The Reader's Greek New Testament is for intermediate students. It's based on UBS, but without the critical apparatus and footnotes (you won't need those things until you get advanced enough to do serious study of the Greek).Use the interlinear to help you along if you find a word that you can't remember the meaning of, or to check yourself for accuracy.

And I always recommend Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Teastament. It's public domain so it's available cheaply from a number of different publishers.  Not the best or most scholarly lexicon available, but it's good enough. It's what I use.

If you want to learn 5 case Koine Greek go with Mounce. If you want to learn 8 case Koine Greek I would recommend "Essentials of New Testament Greek" by Ray Summers. There is also a work book available (but can be a bit hard to find) for self study. Perhaps the best thing to do, if you are serious enough to spend the extra money, is get both. :)

jimmudcatgrant said:
I always hear that the Greek spoken in the New Testament time was koine, or common Greek.  I am looking at at least 3 surgeries this year and will be unable to work, so I thought it might be a good time to try and learn Greek.  Does anyone have a self teaching program they would rec that would help me in learning biblical Greek?
If you are serious about this, I would recommend David Alan Black's 24 disc tutorial set.  It is for the self taught person.  You enter a classroom and watch him teach.  Check out the website, it has an excerpt of one of his classes.

http://www.daveblackonline.com/greek_dvds_now_available.htm

I haven't watched these, but I've had Dr. Black in class before and he is currently my faculty mentor.  So I am biased.  But this could be what you are looking for.  No classroom grades.  Just learning at your own pace.

Timotheos said:
jimmudcatgrant said:
If you are serious about this, I would recommend David Alan Black's 24 disc tutorial set.  It is for the self taught person.  You enter a classroom and watch him teach.  Check out the website, it has an excerpt of one of his classes.

I haven't watched these, but I've had Dr. Black in class before and he is currently my faculty mentor.  So I am biased.  But this could be what you are looking for.  No classroom grades.  Just learning at your own pace.

I never had him in class, but his book is sure easy to follow and it covers everything you need to know. You can use it for self study.

Timotheos said:
jimmudcatgrant said:

Nice!

Thanks, FSSL, I will take a look at it and see if it fits my budget.  It sounds more engaging than a book.

jimmudcatgrant said:
Thanks, FSSL, I will take a look at it and see if it fits my budget.  It sounds more engaging than a book.
Yeah... thanks for recommending this, Barry!

;) ;) ;)

Timotheos said:
jimmudcatgrant said:
Yeah... thanks for recommending this, Barry!

;) ;) ;)

Anything I can do to help! LOL!!

Jimmudcatgrant.... I definitely encourage you to seriously consider idea tou Timotheou. Trying to learn any language from a book without the auditory aspect will make this difficult. Besides, it is more structured and there is no way a book can give you all of the nuances of learning Greek.

I know, myself, having learned both Hebrew and Greek, that I would never have learned either language outside of a classroom. Please do not see that as a discouragement. Do it!!! It is the most awesome discipline to be able to read God's word in its original language! Most language students will learn the language, not to become fluent readers, but to be able to dissect what they see in the commentaries and the opinions of others.

I have a natural talent for learning languages and I succeeded in teaching myself Greek. I have the knowledge equivalent of a second-year student.  It took about 5 years tho, but I did it...

wheatpenny said:
I have a natural talent for learning languages and I succeeded in teaching myself Greek. I have the knowledge equivalent of a second-year student.  It took about 5 years tho, but I did it...

You have great determination!!!

iTunes University.
Concordia Seminary St. Louis has free Seminary-Level courses. I'd recommend it. Best Greek program that exists, IMO.

Ransom said:

Found the book by Dobson for a buck and $2.99 shipping at an online used book store.  Got it yesterday, so here we go.  After I work through the book, I might try the video lessons that FSSL rec'd.