No Woke NBA for Coach Jackson

I quit following when it seemed most players were just thugs. Add in the level of wokeness today, and I have zero interest in watching any of it.

To go back to when the NBA was fun to watch with Magic Johnson, A.C. Green, Byron Scott, James Worthy in LA. Clyde (the Glide) Drexler in Portland... Michael Jordan and Scotty Pippin in Chicago...

Nothing better than listening to Chick Hearn give play by play details...

Last edited:
I enjoyed the NBA as a kid, but I quit watching a couple decades ago. I might watch a few minutes of the Finals, but that’s a big maybe and that’s it.

There was some great basketball back in the 90s. The Detroit Bad Boys, Jordan and the Bulls, Larry, Magic, Rodman, etc. The NBA was more physical back then as well, and less focused on political agendas.

I enjoyed the NBA as a kid, but I quit watching a couple decades ago. I might watch a few minutes of the Finals, but that’s a big maybe and that’s it.

There was some great basketball back in the 90s. The Detroit Bad Boys, Jordan and the Bulls, Larry, Magic, Rodman, etc. The NBA was more physical back then as well, and less focused on political agendas.
Even Rodman was great. Imagine how much better he would have been if not so caught up in his image. I think he was the first to show the cracks that became the mess the NBA is now.

I think the best thing Phil Jackson did was move into the Lakers and make them play like a team again. He was the only one who could rein in Shaq and Kobe's egos and make them play up to their potential.

I haven't watched an NBA game in nearly 25 years. Watching overpaid, arrogant thugs just wasn't my cuppa!

Dr. J and the Sixers were my favorite back in the day. After he retired, I followed for a few more years, but that's when the thugs started taking over.

My favorite player to watch was Larry Byrd. King of the trash talk!

I drove a bus to the Forum to take kids to Laker games during Kobe's first year. Del Harris was coaching at the time. You could pick him out from nose bleed seating because of his shocking white hair. I never cared much for him. Pat Riley ran a tight ship; Del Harris, not so much.

The Lakers would come out to the court for their warm ups before their game and you would see Del sitting on the bench yakking it up with Jack Nicholson.

Once while parking my bus, I came across Dudley Moore driving by in his Bentley.

Yeah... there was a lot more than a game going on there.

I've only half-heartedly watched the NBA over the years, mostly interested in the eras already mentioned (80's-90s, and when King James played in Cleveland) but I don't watch the dung anymore, for all the reasons already mentioned. I still watch college basketball, but the woke-ism, NIL, and Transfer Portal crap is starting to wear on me too. Good on Phil in calling for more sports and less politics in sports.